Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Cramped Confines (The official contest for April, 2012)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1299
IP: Logged
icon Cramped Confines (+3)  
With all these people around, it's a shame not to have a contest going. So here one is!

On the island of Clarmus, in the city of Omus, King Dimus was building a dungeon. Or rather, making plans to build one. So he held a fair, inviting any and all architects to come with their plans. Unfortunately, being on an island, there isn't that much space in which to build. Therefore, he laid out some rules:

1) No space in the dungeon can be wasted. That is; no spaces which are empty. Bridges that cannot fall, platforms that cannot move, sister gates which cannot rise, etc. are not permitted. In addition to this, objects which contribute nothing are discouraged.

2) Each room designed must have an exit to a theoretical next level. I will build 3 levels, each more elegantly contrived than the last, but submit to me your plans for one level at a time.

3) The levels will come from different architects. However, any given architect can submit up to 3 plans, to better their chances of favour from the king. If you submit more, and don't give any indication as to which one to not consider, only the latest 3 will be considered.

That being said, prizes!

This is an official contest for April [mrimer]. The winner gets 100 rank points and a prize from the Prize Pile. 2nd place gets 50 rank points, and 3rd place gets 25 rank points. Also, don't forget that once you've participated in eight forum contests that you can select a currently available DROD game download for free!

Submit your holds in the submission thread, or email them to me.

The fair closes in negative 622 weeks, 2 days. Get your submissions in!

EDIT: 2000th post!

Notes:
Each entry should contain a single room.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 04-11-2012 11:39 PM]
04-11-2012 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
icon Re: Cramped Confines (0)  
I have two questions (which were answered in chat, but are being re-asked for the benefit of everyone else.)

1. Are we to design an entire level, or just a single room?

2. Are we able to use any version of DROD, or is there a specific version needed? (Specifically, can we use DROD 4, despite the issues it has on the mac?)

Official Hold Progress:
Click here to view the secret text

04-11-2012 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
1. It should be a single room.
2. Use any version of DROD. If it turns out that DROD 4 actually doesn't work on macs, as is not my understanding, then we'll attempt to restrict it to DROD 3.2.
04-11-2012 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Someone Else wrote:
1) No space in the dungeon can be wasted. That is; no spaces which are empty.
So walls around the edge of the room...? I'm not 100% sure I understand what it means for a space to be "empty".
04-11-2012 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Ah, sorry. By "empty spaces" I mean floor with nothing on it. Walls aren't considered in this.
04-11-2012 at 07:43 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
So, to make sure I have this, an example would be something like a room completely packed with brains? Trapdoors?

04-11-2012 at 01:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Cramped Confines (+1)  
This is a neat idea. It runs counter to the aesthetic of typical DROD rooms, and should get the creative juices flowing. We're upgrading this to an official April Contest. I've modified the first post to list customary prizes for an official contest. Good luck, everyone!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-11-2012 at 02:34 PM
Someone Else
Awesome!
west.logan: That would be a valid entry to this. But it wouldn't be very interesting.
04-11-2012 at 04:30 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Someone Else wrote:
Ah, sorry. By "empty spaces" I mean floor with nothing on it. Walls aren't considered in this.
Oh dear lord. I thought you meant "nothing that doesn't contribute to the puzzle", so there should be just enough empty floor, and...wow, right then.

To clarify further: "empty floor" means "floor/mosaic floor/grass/road/alternate floor/image floor" in the first panel of the editor; but not pits, water, hot tiles, oremites, or "floor" on which anything from the remaining three panels has been placed (orthosquare, force arrow, scroll, token, ...)? So analogous to west.logan's questions, "completely packed with fuses" would be legitimate as well (though, again, uninteresting, and counter to the "objects which contribute nothing are discouraged" rule)?
04-11-2012 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Someone Else wrote:
1. It should be a single room.
2. Use any version of DROD. If it turns out that DROD 4 actually doesn't work on macs, as is not my understanding, then we'll attempt to restrict it to DROD 3.2.

I can confirm that DROD 4 works perfectly well on Macs (I have 10.6.8 on an intel iMac)

As this is only one room I might well have a go at this, but one more question for you Someone Else - surely there has to be space for Beethro to walk? A floor covered in brains wouldn't allow that.

EDIT: - I see Tahnan has answered my question in a post bump - I think. :?

[Last edited by Elfstone at 04-11-2012 05:46 PM]
04-11-2012 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I may have to embarrass myself and actually build a hold for this.

04-11-2012 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Tahnan wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
Oh dear lord. I thought you meant "nothing that doesn't contribute to the puzzle", so there should be just enough empty floor, and...wow, right then.

To clarify further: "empty floor" means "floor/mosaic floor/grass/road/alternate floor/image floor" in the first panel of the editor; but not pits, water, hot tiles, oremites, or "floor" on which anything from the remaining three panels has been placed (orthosquare, force arrow, scroll, token, ...)? So analogous to west.logan's questions, "completely packed with fuses" would be legitimate as well (though, again, uninteresting, and counter to the "objects which contribute nothing are discouraged" rule)?
That's completely correct, and a very good explanation.
Elfstone wrote: As this is only one room I might well have a go at this, but one more question for you Someone Else - surely there has to be space for Beethro to walk? A floor covered in brains wouldn't allow that.

EDIT: - I see Tahnan has answered my question in a post bump - I think. :?
Yes, well, Beethro can always cut through the brains. If you mean "There has to be somewhere that Beethro starts" that is true. And because he takes up a space, you don't need to worry about that!
04-11-2012 at 10:25 PM
Someone Else

File: Cramped Confines - Contest Hold With Example.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
Example entry!
I am going to be doing something a little different with the entries; namely, putting all the entries into one hold and providing voters with the means to easily track what they want to vote. You can see this system at work in the attached example.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 04-12-2012 12:02 AM]
04-11-2012 at 11:32 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
I have looked at this and I am more confused - sorry! - it's late here, I'm old most of the time and I think I get older late at night :~(
I understood that there were to be no empty spaces and you seem to have empty spaces in this example . . ?

04-11-2012 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Sorry, I uploaded something I had been playing with before posting the contest :/ Wrong file. I'll get that sorted out now.
EDIT: Fixed.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 04-12-2012 12:05 AM]
04-11-2012 at 11:45 PM
Keiya
OH! You're allowed to wall out a bunch of space? That changes EVERYTHING. Well, some things.

Official Hold Progress:

04-12-2012 at 12:20 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Man, and I thought Veere's Dungeon was something. I look forward to the entries produced. I might even make one.

Edit: Are we allowed to have pits or water instead of walls, for aesthetic reasons?

[Last edited by Jatopian at 04-12-2012 12:28 AM]
04-12-2012 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Jatopian wrote:
Am we allowed to have pits instead of walls, for aesthetic reasons?
Yes.
04-12-2012 at 12:26 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Just got the party started. I may or may not have revived this as my entry, so it might be best not to let me win by default.

04-12-2012 at 02:39 AM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
Question:

Can we use Build Markers to rearrange the room in a way that either starts or ends with a floor tile? Or would a Build Marker over floor count as 'used space'?

04-14-2012 at 03:29 PM
Someone Else
If it ends with floor, that's okay. But it can't start with floor.
04-14-2012 at 05:59 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Request: Since you're making this nice voting compilation hold thing, can we have rooms voted on without knowing who submitted what? Seems generally fairer that way.

04-14-2012 at 10:54 PM
Someone Else
Sure, why not? It shall be done.

A request: You have all been doing this so far, but I think it's worth mentioning. The title of your entry should be the level title. Please don't put "Contest Entry" or something similar - if there aren't people's names on the entries, we need something to distinguish them.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 04-14-2012 11:24 PM]
04-14-2012 at 11:20 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Posted two rooms to the contest.

I wish that man would stay away
04-15-2012 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Are oremites and trapdoors allowed?

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
04-15-2012 at 06:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I hope so, that is what I used.

I wish that man would stay away
04-15-2012 at 06:52 AM
Someone Else
Yes, they're allowed.
04-15-2012 at 03:51 PM
Keiya
You are allowed, check the example room ;)

Official Hold Progress:

04-18-2012 at 04:01 AM
Someone Else
Yeah, you can use walls. There just can't be any open floor space.
04-18-2012 at 05:37 AM
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
I have designed a room using the JtRH engine.
Do you want me to download one of the newer engines & convert it before entering the competition or just enter it as is?
If I need to convert the room - which engine do you want me to use?
04-23-2012 at 04:42 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Cramped Confines (The official contest for April, 2012)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com