Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Two (My latest project)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
IP: Logged

File: Two beta 2.hold (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 71 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Two (0)  
I've finally finished my latest hold! I've been working on this for a while now in the background of my other architecture projects, and it's finally ready to show off. I realize in the face of the new RPG release that time is likely to be scarce for testing, but I'd appreciate comments from motivated beta testers. The hold's effectively complete, so there are no empty rooms or other such annoyances to deal with beyond the usual bugs and whatnot.

I won't say much about the hold here since I prefer my collective beta tester group to come in with a blank slate, but I'd like to think that it's worth the time spent playing it. Please don't hold back with the comments and criticism!

[Last edited by Dischorran at 10-28-2008 06:28 PM]
09-12-2008 at 06:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: Two (0)  
Hm. Why?

09-12-2008 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
A triumph of minimalism. This is the only hold I've seen where it takes longer to download than to play.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
09-12-2008 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471

File: Johans Two.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Two (+2)  
I have never seen a hold which better captures the essence of that number which is one doubled upon itself. Truly, one IS the loneliest number, and therefore unsatisfactory. Only through duality is the obstacle overcome.

I did take the liberty of fixing a possibly unintended 'singular' solution in the entrance room, now two really is your only option. The fix is attached.

I'm stuck in 3W though, what is the purpose of the two builders on the bridge? Even if I don't drop it, the adders just get them.

This hold is looking very good, but you might want to add an extra room just so it has an even number of rooms (to fit the theme.)

09-12-2008 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Two (+2)  
It's a bit low that the first post was modded down. I think someone was frustrated because he got stuck in the entrance room.
Which brings us to a weak point of this hold: you put the most difficult room at the very beginning! I strongly advise to reorder the rooms to ensure a more natural difficulty curve throughout the hold.

Other than that I think it's a pretty neat hold. All rooms seem to be solvable, no backtracking issues etc.
Maybe the room where you have to run from briars while fighting the seep is a tad on the easy side, but I'll leave it to you to decide whether to change it.

I might just check for unintended solutions this evening, but as soon as DROD RPG is released you'll have to find another tester.

09-12-2008 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
While Ive been played DROD TCB,Ive been learned more about different movement & sword rotating skills.

I couldnt even get past of this room,when I was newbie at DROD

This is pretty..*cough*..odd hold,you know!

I would give it +1,but I havent got any mod points lately:D

09-12-2008 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
The Architest wrote:
While Ive been played DROD TCB,Ive been learned more about different movement & sword rotating skills.

Hey, dischorran, did you add this room recently? It might be a little too similar to a room in another hold I've seen. I forget the name but I think it's by 13th Slayer... you might want to look into that, as I'm sure you didn't mean to copy a room. At least the number of rooms is even again though!

09-13-2008 at 12:21 AM
AlternativePuzzles
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 30
Beef Row wrote:
The Architest wrote:

Hey, dischorran, did you add this room recently? It might be a little too similar to a room in another hold I've seen. I forget the name but I think it's by 13th Slayer... you might want to look into that, as I'm sure you didn't mean to copy a room. At least the number of rooms is even again though!
It's by Mr. Slice. Link to hold.

Test out my hold currently in
architecture:
[url=http://forum.caravelgames.com/
viewtopic.php?TopicID=26578]Spike
Pit
09-13-2008 at 01:10 AM
Dischorran
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Beef Row: Oh dear. Great minds think alike, I suppose; I guess I should have expected that the inevitable inverse reflection of my rooms may have already appeared in the body of architecture. I like the fix to the entrance, but I need to consider how it'll affect the relationship with 1S3E; perhaps moving the brain will restore the symmetric axis.

As for 3W, the builders
Click here to view the secret text

Jutt: I agree that the progression of difficulty is a problem, but it doesn't seem to improve any when I reorder the rooms. I'll keep working at it.

09-13-2008 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
icon Re: Two (+8)  
The hold's finally been updated! Changes are too extensive to make a change log practical, but I feel that the new version more accurately reflects the essence of what I'm trying to do with this. Please take a look; as always, I welcome feedback.

I would also like to state for the record that the timing of this update is completely unrelated to the start of the latest awards cycle. Absolutely, entirely unrelated. Really.

10-28-2008 at 06:28 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Two (My latest project)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com