Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Great Jungle - a new TCB style (A homemade style with lots of green.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
IP: Logged

File: Jungle.dmf (902.4 KB)
Downloaded 101 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Great Jungle - a new TCB style (+5)  
Okay.

After some great tips that can be found here and a very helpful starter kit found here, and after some helpful tips from Jutt, I've finished working on a new theme and am posting it here for all to see.

It's very green, which coincidentally, is my favorite color. Let me know what you think. And please enjoy.

[addendum - something seems to be going screwy when I try to export the style. I'll post a good version once I figure out what's wrong.]

[addendum 2 - Okay, it looks like the problem has been figured out. I still don't completely understand why the tiles were the only thing to be exported the first time and never again after that, but apparently the issue has been ironed out and I've attached the (hopefully) final exported DMF for this style.]

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 03-05-2012 09:08 AM]
03-02-2012 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss

File: GreatJungleExample.png (781.7 KB)
Downloaded 722 times.
icon Re: Great Jungle - a new TCB style (+3)  
And for those who like to see what to expect before you try it out, here's a simple example that shows some of the stuff in this style.

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 03-02-2012 12:54 AM]
03-02-2012 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
icon Re: Great Jungle - a new TCB style (0)  
Looks brilliant, great job Garlonuss. Could definitely see this in some future holds! :)

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
03-02-2012 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Hey thanks, man. It took a while to adjust the different floor styles so that they didn't clash too much.
I'm hoping to work on a new one, but I wanted to get feedback on this one before deciding what I would do next.

03-02-2012 at 08:37 AM
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
Looks great to me. Super job!
03-02-2012 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
icon Re: Great Jungle - a new TCB style (+1)  
I know I should have done this earlier, but I just did a test. I moved all my style images from my bitmap folder and installed the style from my exported file. The wrong floors had somehow been exported. I've done some work and re-exported it and now the right floors and pit style have been exported correctly. I've replaced the style included in my initial post.

03-04-2012 at 11:15 PM
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
Garlonuss, this is really beautiful.

BTW: I just reimported, and can now see the floors and pits - but I seem to have lost your gorgeous custom obstacles. My .ini file looks ok, as far as I can tell.
03-04-2012 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I keep running into problems when I test it myself. I don't know what keeps happening when I try to export. There's not that much I can do to screw it up.

I've uploaded a new version that should fix this problem. Try it out and let me know.

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 03-04-2012 11:58 PM]
03-04-2012 at 11:57 PM
Panther
Rank Points: 402
Completely exited and checked .ini after deleting the style before restarting and importing again, just to be sure. Still no obstacles. It looks like bridges, trapdoors, water, and tunnels (?) have reverted back to the defaults for city, also. I'm pretty sure that I've got the new file because the style name changed in the list from Great Jungle to Jungle 2.
03-05-2012 at 12:20 AM
Garlonuss

File: Jungle2.zip (909.3 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Okay, this is completely ridiculous. Everything looks fine when I'm in development mode. Then I export it, remove the reference to the Jungle style from my drod.ini and move the images out of my bitmaps folder, then import from the exported DMF, and the style is only half there. It's not like there's much you can do wrong in the export. You just click export and name the file to export it to. Yet it seems to only be exporting half the style. What on earth am I doing wrong here?

I'm including my image files and TIM file if anyone wants to try it out and see if they have better luck.

03-05-2012 at 12:51 AM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Great Jungle - a new TCB style (+2)  
Ha, found your problem. It's the file names "Jungle2.png" and "Jungle2.tim", which caused the problems. If you change them to "Jungle2Tiles.png" and "Jungle2Tiles.tim", Drod should export the style properly.

Not quite sure why Drod does recognize the files witout the "Tiles" bit at the end, but cannot save them to a dmf.

03-05-2012 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
icon Re: Great Jungle - a new TCB style (+2)  
Thanks Jutt.
Again.

Yeah, I don't know why it can find and use the tiles as I originally had them, but can't actually export them. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But I'm also new to this process. I hope to do more and I guess it's just inevitable to have a bunch errors for a first try.

I've followed your suggestion and the export seems fine now. I've attached it to the first post.

03-05-2012 at 09:12 AM
Garlonuss
Hey thanks.

I wish I knew. With the new auto style download ability, it'd be cool to see a user hold that used my own theme.

03-22-2012 at 09:53 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Excellent! :)

03-26-2012 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
BTW, while I haven't downloaded the full thing to look at it yet, the screenshot is really excellent. In fact, I might consider throwing it into one level of the hold that I swear really is in progress....
03-26-2012 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Great. I'd love to see the kinds of stuff people come up with to use the theme in.

03-26-2012 at 08:24 AM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
I have plans for a jungle in my hold. I first thought I would use original grass and briars, but this looks pretty cool. If you don't mind, I will definitely use this, too.

Just don't expect any good puzzles from me, eh? :blush
03-26-2012 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
Of course, DROD 4.0 comes out with GatEB... hopefully it won't be too much stuff to add to TCB styles!

Official Hold Progress:

03-26-2012 at 04:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Great Jungle - a new TCB style (A homemade style with lots of green.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com