Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hold The Riddle of the Bar - Vote Here (A multiple question poll)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1Entry 3 - Penwielder8.83333333333330.68718427093628
2Entry 2 - da rogu37.44444444444441.4614384931073
3Entry 1 - BoyBlue7.27777777777781.6601725330538
4Entry 5 - Trickster72.0548046676563
5Entry 4 - Techlady (username techant)6.66666666666671.6666666666667
Entry 1 - BoyBlue
Average Vote 7.2777777777778
Standard Deviation 1.6601725330538

Entry 2 - da rogu3
Average Vote 7.4444444444444
Standard Deviation 1.4614384931073

Entry 3 - Penwielder
Average Vote 8.8333333333333
Standard Deviation 0.68718427093628

Entry 4 - Techlady (username techant)
Average Vote 6.6666666666667
Standard Deviation 1.6666666666667

Entry 5 - Trickster
Average Vote 7
Standard Deviation 2.0548046676563
Total Votes 20 100%
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Re: Hold The Riddle of the Bar - Vote Here (+3)  
Trickster wrote:
A couple of other ideas that could possibly be useful...
Meh. You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist, and your cures strike me as worse than the disease.
07-01-2011 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
icon Re: Hold The Riddle of the Bar - Vote Here (0)  
Trickster wrote:
2) Automatically lock out submission entrants from voting on any of the submissions. Entrants who vote more harshly end up with a significant advantage over those who vote less harshly (apparently, like me, this time around). If you're in the contest you really shouldn't be voting, especially not for yourself, but not for anyone else either. That doesn't mean you shouldn't leave feedback. However, with the vote numbers as small as they are, and with the fact that other architects are likely to have the most valuable point of view on how to evaluate your hold, I admit there's a good case for leaving them in.
That is definitely the fairest thing to do in any contest; feedback > votes. (although I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement)
DiMono wrote: I just wish there were closer to 50 votes than 20
I agree entirely, this is also a problem on the holds board. Maybe enforce demo submittion and anyone-edit copies of holds, that way voters don't have to make such a significant time investment for architectural contests.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 07-01-2011 07:15 PM]
07-01-2011 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Trickster wrote:
I had a lot of people asking questions about how to kill the snake in the first room; and I'm like, "If you just walk back and forth and keep bumping the doors, eventually you'll kill it through sheer luck."

Actually, you only need *two* door bumps to successfully kill the serpent :P
07-01-2011 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I did it in two as well but I think Trickster was just saying that even if you did things randomly it still wasn't terribly hard (though my first attempt at random didn't go too well...)

07-01-2011 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
west.logan wrote:
(though my first attempt at random didn't go too well...)

Same here.

I just wanted to mention that there's slightly better way than doing it randomly.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-01-2011 07:50 PM]
07-01-2011 at 07:49 PM
da rogu3
07-01-2011 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
icon Re: Hold The Riddle of the Bar - Vote Here (+1)  
Thank you! I was thinking about quoting them all but this works too.

*EDIT*
As I looked through the comments, I was surprised to see a couple that said that Techant's first room was the hardest. The one with the briars and roaches? Maybe I just happened to hit on the right combination because that was one of the easier ones for me (just let the briars kill most of the roaches).

Also, thank you for including my voice-acting in the comments. I appreciate the feedback and also want to point out that my wife provided the voice for the "bait-attester" citizen, and the Roach Queen. My voice doesn't go that high.

[Last edited by west.logan at 07-01-2011 08:14 PM]
07-01-2011 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Well, the results are in, and we have a winner! Congratulations to Penwielder, who instead wielded an architect's hammer to claim first prize, which in this case consists of 100 rank points and an item from the Prize Pile. Well done!

Coming in second was da rogu3, who gets 50 rank points, and BoyBlue gets 25 for coming in third. And now, since it's Canada Day, I'm going to take the rest of the day off.

07-01-2011 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3

File: RoTBdr3 Village 3N.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
Congratulations Penwielder :) Your entry was simply outstanding, you really deserved to win this.

Seems like the main criticism of my hold was the empty rooms. Don't really have any excuses for that, apart from the fact that I ran out of inspiration. So it's a fair point then :P

Anyway, to anyone who couldn't solve 3N, I've attached a demo of the room to this post.

PMIT wrote: I especially liked the main Halph puzzle, and it was probably my favorite room in the contest.
Trickster wrote: I absolutely adored the Halph puzzle--brilliant.
Thanks! I'm quite proud of that puzzle myself, nice to know that others liked it too :)

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 07-01-2011 09:58 PM]
07-01-2011 at 09:03 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Aw men, and I ended up not voting because I miserably failed to complete more than one entry due to lack of time, desire to play DROD and skills :(.

Goncratulations to winners though!

07-01-2011 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
Thanks, everyone!

Congratulations to da rogu3 and BoyBlue as well. Your holds were my favorites of the set. I particularly liked the halph rooms of both of yours.

As for my prize, well, I'd very much like to try out Journey to Rooted Hold. It's unfortunate that in just a day or two I'm going to be gone for a week, but maybe I'll be able to start it before that, anyway, depending on how that kind of thing is dealt with.

The biggest of my thanks goes to west.logan--the voice actor for my entry, as you know. He was fantastic to work with. I've saved up a considerable chunk of mod points to throw at you, west.logan--just say where!

07-01-2011 at 11:34 PM
west.logan
icon Re: Hold The Riddle of the Bar - Vote Here (+20)  
Thank you for letting me participate. I really enjoyed myself. Maybe I can do it again some time!

As to points, whatever, wherever, whenever, however is fine with me. I don't wonder but that it might be just as easy for a moderator to directly transfer as opposed to modding up a particular post and making it look like I must have said something ingenious :)

07-01-2011 at 11:50 PM
da rogu3
Well, apparently there have been changes to briar growth rules in the later patches, which could have had an impact. That room was difficult because you have to activate the fuse at *exactly* the right time.
07-02-2011 at 12:31 AM
west.logan
Trickster wrote:
You can effectively simulate a female voice by forcing resonance into the nasal cavity, slightly increasing pitch (not Monty Python falsetto), and increasing the variability of pitch between inflections.

Oh trust me. I've tried multiple times over the years, doing different inflections and tweaking post-recording. It just doesn't sound natural to me at all. Except for my Princess Peach voice. That ain't half bad ;)

I believe it has something to do with the harmonics, based on different shapes. It's a very complex sound and it's hard to imitate a "structure". I guess your nasal cavity method is one way of imitating that.

07-02-2011 at 12:37 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
da rogu3 wrote:
Well, apparently there have been changes to briar growth rules in the later patches, which could have had an impact. That room was difficult because you have to activate the fuse at *exactly* the right time.
None of the bombs need to be set off in order to complete the room (or even make it easy). And no, killing the monsters doesn't change the way the briar grows. And finally, there hasn't been any briar growth changes in years.

Trickster wrote:
Penwielder had the same amount of emptyness, but the rooms contained story elements (cutscenes, dialog) and pretty artwork that looked like it took a significant amount of time.
Penwielder's hold has less empty rooms before it got to the meat of the story; in short, it spaced them out better. Also, I count 6 main puzzle rooms in Penwielder's (as well as a quick 'kill all these monsters' in Bait-Attesting : Entrance), whereas da rogu3's only had five, and that's including the quick 'kill all these monsters' in The Path.

It was still a nice hold, but when you compare rooms like Inside : 1W (finding the Gobblin' King and friends) and Bait-Attesting : 1N (bunch of builders "eating" food), even the rooms that *were* empty in Penwielder's looked good.

(Also, I had no real issue with the open borders in Penwielder's hold: the path was *very* clearly marked, so essentially, it was more based on how much you trusted the architect not to be evil and hide secrets off the path.)

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 07-02-2011 01:15 AM]
07-02-2011 at 01:08 AM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
west.logan wrote:
I don't wonder but that it might be just as easy for a moderator to directly transfer as opposed to modding up a particular post and making it look like I must have said something ingenious :)
Saying ingenious stuff* is exactly what you did for me, albeit aloud rather than in a post. ;) I put the points on the post I just quoted, since it's right next to the one which they would logically put my prize on (seeing as it was my... acceptance post, shall we say). Observe: your username is now blue.

Meanwhile... open borders? Hm. You're talking about the surface level, I assume? I can't say I've ever heard of that being a problem before, but now that you mention it, I can see how it could be abused. I'll keep that in mind in the future, but really, I think I can be trusted not to "be evil and hide secrets off the path."

*Ingenious stuff provided mainly by Tahnan

[Last edited by Penwielder at 07-02-2011 01:57 AM]
07-02-2011 at 01:53 AM
TFMurphy
Penwielder wrote:
Meanwhile... open borders? Hm. You're talking about the surface level, I assume? I can't say I've ever heard of that being a problem before, but now that you mention it, I can see how it could be abused. I'll keep that in mind in the future, but really, I think I can be trusted not to "be evil and hide secrets off the path."
The "Outer Space" level of "The Great Adventure" is a rather large example of where it can be very very bad.
07-02-2011 at 02:04 AM
Tahnan
Penwielder wrote:
In a straightforward small hold guaranteed to be fourteen rooms, it's not something that worries me (see: trusting the architect). But conversely, if I don't know that there's not a space to explore, I'm going to spend a lot of time bumping against room edges at random to see if there's a room there--not an evilly-hidden secret room, just another outdoor room. And it's worse for a room that I'm optimizing; it's really, really irritating to conquer a room, walk to the edge, and discover that there's no exit there and I've wasted some number of moves. (This almost goes double for rooms where there is a room in that direction, but there's an obstacle/snake/tar/etc blocking that particular square.)
07-02-2011 at 02:28 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Trickster wrote:
Ah, but Grasshopper: how can anything be worse than something which doesn't really exist? :yinyang

(Reminds me of a famous Groucho quote: "The food here is terrible, and the portions are too small!") :cigar
Both of which are, of course, entirely valid and not paradoxical at all.

07-02-2011 at 03:09 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
o.O

07-02-2011 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
icon Re: Hold The Riddle of the Bar - Vote Here (+2)  
Well, let me go over my own responses to this....

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 07-02-2011 04:20 AM]
07-02-2011 at 04:10 AM
Tahnan
Trickster wrote:
Needless to say, the following is TMI, so, "cave observator"
"Our telescope is in a cave"?

(Meanwhile, Rat Man's parents are going to have to re-evaluate their policy of letting him back onto the boards...)
07-02-2011 at 04:10 AM
Dischorran
Trickster wrote:
What I Would Change; What I Would Not Change
OK, fine, serious answer to wall o' text.

Conveniently, same answer to everything: this is why beta testing exists. Post hold, get feedback, listen to feedback and don't keep the three frakkin' mother room in after hearing that we all hate it. You get a better hold, we get to break your rooms (and really, there's no feeling quite like it!). Everyone wins. With a beta board, you can even see how we're all killing your gel mother way too early while keeping the hold away from the unwashed masses!

07-02-2011 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Trickster wrote:

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-02-2011 04:57 AM]
07-02-2011 at 04:55 AM
Jatopian
icon Re: Hold The Riddle of the Bar - Vote Here (+2)  
Trickster wrote:
Needless to say, the following is TMI, so, "cave observator":
Wow. Uh. So. I just checked, and I couldn't find an actual rule saying you can't talk about things like the third word in that secret bit, and I'm not much of one for protecting the dear, innocent, eminently corruptible youth, but uh, we have had kids as young as 9 on here in the past and it's probably not good to have them running to their parents asking what words like that mean and then saying they read them here.

Rather than force an admin to buckle down and start expressly forbidding types of content on the forum, could you just voluntarily excise most of that post? Thanks.

07-02-2011 at 04:57 AM
TFMurphy
Comments to selected comments:

Also:
Trickster wrote:
But, here's the thing...if everyone beta tests it, nobody will want to play the final hold, the "good" one, when it appears; yes? I mean, this contest hold was a quickie, but this big one I'm spending a lot of time on, in the hopes I can eliminate the need for beta by doing countless self-testing hours (although it really takes a ton of time for me to do that). But...it's starting to sound like what I'm doing is an unrealistic approach to DROD hold design.
Self-testing hours are good. Very good. We like architects to play their own hold.

But you can always do with a few good people to beta-test. You can even post to Architecture and often get good feedback there: this doesn't stop the beta-testers playing the finished product (though some may leave it a few weeks or months, or may just upload their scores a week or so after promotion, or however they want to deal with that), and in fact, the audience for published holds is a *lot* greater than those who frequent the Architecture board, or even those who frequent the entire *forum*.

Trying to do without beta-testing is asking for unintended solutions to get through. And believe me, those USs can be really difficult for you to find... and yet come so naturally to someone who's just taking their first glance at a room.

07-02-2011 at 04:58 AM
Dischorran
Trickster wrote:
Ah! I understand now.

But, here's the thing...if everyone beta tests it, nobody will want to play the final hold, the "good" one, when it appears; yes? I mean, this contest hold was a quickie, but this big one I'm spending a lot of time on, in the hopes I can eliminate the need for beta by doing countless self-testing hours (although it really takes a ton of time for me to do that). But...it's starting to sound like what I'm doing is an unrealistic approach to DROD hold design.

I just want the hold to be something people can enjoy, and I worry that beta-testing would ruin the surprise of it all. :unsure I mean, did you beta-test all of your holds?
After the first one? *Extensively.* They wouldn't be half as good as they are without having a few of the more dependable forum regulars find tons of unintended solutions and tell me which rooms and even entire level layouts needed to be killed. You don't have to invite the entire forum to the beta board, after all.

07-02-2011 at 04:59 AM
Jatopian
You... aren't thinking about this properly, in my opinion. Well, I tried.

07-02-2011 at 05:12 AM
Dischorran
Jatopian wrote:
You... aren't thinking about this properly, in my opinion. Well, I tried.
Gonna have to disagree there.

07-02-2011 at 05:16 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
As long as people don't start acting like idiots over the topic I'm fine with it being here. I do appreciate the change in wording, thanks Trickster :)

Don't be idiots!

07-02-2011 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hold The Riddle of the Bar - Vote Here (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com