Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : It's the end
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon It's the end (+1)  
Myself and at least four other people say goodbye for reals at this very moment. Schik and Tahnan can fill you in excellently and slightly, respectively.

Remember this: Do not let yourself die. This forum is one of the greatest communities on the internet. It deserves to be well known.

Before I go, I will nominate five people because I think they're awesome. They are:

Click here to view the secret text

All of these people together made the forum even more wonderful than before. Your enthusiasm, hard work, dedication, responsibility, duty to the forum, and perseverance really show on this forum. If you ever consider leaving, I am sure every member of this forum will appreciate you not doing so.

And with that statement, Ciao! :thumbsup

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
09-26-2009 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: It's the end (0)  
:huh

09-26-2009 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
09-26-2009 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I think you just won the forum. I can't recall many other people leaving the forum on a positive note.
09-26-2009 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Edit: The thread seems like it might be dying, and that's probably for the better, so I'll edit this post with my general view of this issue instead of posting a new one.

I definitely think you should stay and keep contributing to the forum! There have been several worse fusses in this forum that all involved have in time gotten over. Just don't make such a big deal out of this!

[Last edited by Rheb at 11-12-2009 08:20 PM]
09-26-2009 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
It's a bit confusing, but simply put, I am a multi. A multi with some accounts that you would least expect, but since you're a smart bunch of people, they might be who you most expect. It was a horrible thing to do trying to pass myself off as six different people. So when Schik found out, I decided to pull the plug on the whole operation.

There was something in the CaravelNet Chat that questioned my multi-personality. It spawned off of one of my holds (I believe the one submitted to The God, The Bad, And The Ugly competition). More specifically, the author was "AlternatePuzzles", who, guess what, reminds us of AlternativePuzzles! And guess what? The powers of internet anonymity allows me to be exactly who I want to. Whether it is an 11 year old boy, a 29 year old Canadian man working on classified information, or a 33 year old madman in search of a community niche, I can be anybody.

My job here is done. If I was impersonating Snacko (which I am NOT), I would say this has been an interesting Orderly Disruption. And not just this event, but the entire three years that I have been here. Maybe not to all of you, but some of you, for better or worse, have been disrupted in an orderly manner.

It's been fun around here. I may return in the distant future as my true self because of the company. But for now, the survey is complete. I bid you a happy forum without me. I think I have finally left my mark. :)

09-26-2009 at 11:56 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: It's the end (+2)  
Yeah, see, for anyone who's curious, I don't find that cute or playful or fun. I find it extremely irritating. I don't care whether you're a 29 year old Canadian man or a 33 year old madman or anything else, as long as you're here to contribute to the community. Hell, I don't even know the age and occupation of most of the people here--Dischorran and Wesley have talked about their grad school work, so I know a few things in a few cases--but really, ultimately, if Dischorran turned out to be an 83-year-old grandmother who never got past 8th grade and who crochets tea cozies, it wouldn't matter. I judge him--or her, or whatever--based on actual online contribution.

What the Archivist, aka Dr. Murphy, has done is to abuse our trust as a community. By doing things like posting as Dr. Murphy to say "I will not be reading this thread in the future" and then posting a reply as 12th Archivist to offer a supposedly outside opinion of things Dr. Murphy did, he's played out his own little dramas rather than contributing usefully to the community. Instead of joining us, he used us for his own amusement. And to that extent, I'm 100% glad to see him gone, and good fracking riddance.

EDIT TO ADD, because this is pissing me off so much that I'm having trouble just letting it go: There wasn't really even any point to it, was there? OMGWTFBBQ, he made us believe that AlternativePuzzles and 12th Archivist were different posters! Or something. But who cares? If he thought he was making us think "mmmm, 12th Archivist is 29 years old and he lives in Manhattan and he collects stamps" or whatever stupid little personality he made up for himself, then at least in my case he failed utterly. I don't have the slightest idea who any of these "people" "were".

To use President Obama's term for someone who interrupts people enjoying themselves to interject his own unwelcome opinions: what a jackass.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 09-27-2009 12:25 AM]
09-27-2009 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Tahnan wrote:
Yeah, see, for anyone who's curious, I don't find that cute or playful or fun. I find it extremely irritating. I don't care whether you're a 29 year old Canadian man or a 33 year old madman or anything else, as long as you're here to contribute to the community. Hell, I don't even know the age and occupation of most of the people here--Dischorran and Wesley have talked about their grad school work, so I know a few things in a few cases--but really, ultimately, if Dischorran turned out to be an 83-year-old grandmother who never got past 8th grade and who crochets tea cozies, it wouldn't matter. I judge him--or her, or whatever--based on actual online contribution.

What the Archivist, aka Dr. Murphy, has done is to abuse our trust as a community. By doing things like posting as Dr. Murphy to say "I will not be reading this thread in the future" and then posting a reply as 12th Archivist to offer a supposedly outside opinion of things Dr. Murphy did, he's played out his own little dramas rather than contributing usefully to the community. Instead of joining us, he used us for his own amusement. And to that extent, I'm 100% glad to see him gone, and good fracking riddance.
I wasn't trying to do any of those things. Nor was I trying to use you for my own amusement. You took this the wrong way again. I can't change that.

But seriously, I did join you. I contributed many good things to this forum. Do not think that I am an evil person. I said don't.

I just lost the respect of one of my friends and now I have just lost the respect of one of the greatest communities on this planet. All in all, a very bad day of work. Oh well. I've lost the positive note. I'm less respected than Anson or burrs. Tahnan now REALLY hates me.

I don't know what else to say except sorry. :(

09-27-2009 at 12:39 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
You don't need to take everything Tahnan says so personally. You have certainly made some significant contributions to the forum, and no one is denying that, it's just that Tahnan and a lot of other people probably feel quite like they were deceived at this point.

09-27-2009 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
12th Archivist wrote:You took this the wrong way again. I can't change that.

And guess what? The powers of internet anonymity allows me to be exactly who I want to.

My job here is done.

I don't know how else to take it. If you joined us and contributed and cared about the community, why leave? And why refer to a "job" that's somehow "done"? Why stress the fact that you could "be exactly who you want to" when it never really mattered who you were?

Again, the thing that really gets my goat here is the disingenuousness over in the "Dr. Murphy says goodbye" thread. The specific thing I cited above--saying "I'm leaving" and then posting as if you're doing so objectively--is taking our trust as a community and abusing it. I don't have to be mad over this; I'm probably not as mad as I sound; but I don't like being played, and I haven't seen any evidence that this was anything other than playing us.
09-27-2009 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
You even explicitly stated that you were not going to read the thread, and then responded in a fashion that would completely misrepresent your bias. This is, quite simply, abusing the anonymity of the internet.

09-27-2009 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Tahnan wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:You took this the wrong way again. I can't change that.

And guess what? The powers of internet anonymity allows me to be exactly who I want to.

My job here is done.

I don't know how else to take it. If you joined us and contributed and cared about the community, why leave? And why refer to a "job" that's somehow "done"? Why stress the fact that you could "be exactly who you want to" when it never really mattered who you were?
I have come to understand that over time, you get a certain reputation as a member. Pretending to be from a different country, be a different age, and have a different name all aid in pretending you're someone else. The only reason to pretend you're someone else is either if you're tired of being "the ignorant one" and you have earned yourself such a bad reputation for this, or if you've locked yourself out of the forum (I.E. the cookies won't keep you signed in. This is what happened to AlternativePuzzles.).

Again, the thing that really gets my goat here is the disingenuousness over in the "Dr. Murphy says goodbye" thread. The specific thing I cited above--saying "I'm leaving" and then posting as if you're doing so objectively--is taking our trust as a community and abusing it. I don't have to be mad over this; I'm probably not as mad as I sound; but I don't like being played, and I haven't seen any evidence that this was anything other than playing us.
I'm not sure how I am deliberately distrusting this community. Dr. Murphy really did leave, but I came back. We may be the same person, but it's the belief of two separate entities using the same computer. Like a bee to a flower, both seek a good end result. In this metaphor, I am both the bee and the flower, but my accounts can be either the bee or the flower. Not sure if that makes much sense.

If I was playing you, would I really put three years of devotion into this "project" as you may call it? Would I actually try to benefit this community if I only wanted to play you guys? No, this *is* something other than playing you.

And as for "My job here is done", my last contribution towards this forum was an unorderly disruption. Since it was completely unplanned, I didn't think you would react in such a way. I'm sorry for this. Before, I only wanted to contribute to the forum, nothing else. Now, my unorderly disruption's purpose was to remind all of you folk to stay on the account you're on. Let me be the horrid example of not sticking with one account.

I'm not trying to be malicious or time-wasting. If you think I'm wasting your time, ignore me now; unless I have wasted your time before just today. Again, I am sorry. Re-secure yourselves in the great trust of the forum. This is the only time this sort of activity will happen. I swear on my father's grave.

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 09-27-2009 01:11 AM]
09-27-2009 at 01:11 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I'm now secretly hoping that he's minimike, too.

09-27-2009 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
And I know this is a double post, but it shall be a response to the one 2 above this one.

Becoming a multi to convince others not to be a multi is like shooting people to convince others not to shoot people. It doesn't really achieve its purpose, and tends to cheese people off. I completely agree with Tahnan's one word assessment of your character.

09-27-2009 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I really doubt anyone hates you or thinks you're evil. Sad, self centered, self important, insecure; maybe. But evil? Hardly. However if you are responsible for minimike -- which I suspect you might be, since I've alway been certain that he was an anon-account for someone here -- then the sooner you're gone the better. EDIT: Okay, that sounded a bit harsh, but really. Someone who gets their jollies this way? Pretty pathetic. And... prringles, anyone? Hmm...?

[Last edited by noma at 09-27-2009 01:44 AM]
09-27-2009 at 01:24 AM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
12th Archivist wrote:
And as for "My job here is done", my last contribution towards this forum was an unorderly disruption. Since it was completely unplanned, I didn't think you would react in such a way. I'm sorry for this. Before, I only wanted to contribute to the forum, nothing else. Now, my unorderly disruption's purpose was to remind all of you folk to stay on the account you're on. Let me be the horrid example of not sticking with one account.
How can something that was "completely unplanned" also have a purpose? :huh

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-27-2009 01:51 AM]
09-27-2009 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Okay. What should I do now? There is behavior worse than trolling or spamming and I think this is it.

How can something that was "completely unplanned" also have a purpose? :huh
I thought it up on the spot. I didn't realize this was going to be a disruption, but since it was, there had to be a good reason for it.

09-27-2009 at 01:34 AM
Dischorran
icon Re: It's the end (+1)  
I like to believe that there are actual people on the other end of the line here. So try that, or nothing.

Also, I make an *excellent* tea cozy.

09-27-2009 at 01:40 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: It's the end (+3)  
12th Archivist wrote:
Okay. What should I do now?
I've got a suggestion. Don't leave. I know you love DROD. Anyway, if 12th Archivist left, I'm sure you'd be back with a new name sooner or later. Spare us the trouble. Tell Schik you'd like to keep your 12th Archivist account active, and he'll disable the others.

You have some friends here on the forum who have fun talking with you.

You've got some good starts for holds. Why not finish them up?

You've made some decent contest entries. That's great, and we need more people participating in contests.

There's no need to abandon things that don't come out perfect on your first try.

So this little experiment/game/prank/whatever with multiple accounts didn't end so well. Too bad, but you'll get through it, and so will everyone else.
09-27-2009 at 01:55 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ok, if you somehow lost your login for an account, I have no problems with you creating another account. But the people who have done that have either made their name so similar it's obvious it's the same person, or put it in their sig that they were also that account.

As for when you gain a bad rep, it's pointless. Because unless you yourself change, no matter how many times you change your appearance, you will gain the same rep. I guess that's why I've been confusing some members for each other.

We may be the same person, but it's the belief of two separate entities using the same computer. Like a bee to a flower, both seek a good end result. In this metaphor, I am both the bee and the flower, but my accounts can be either the bee or the flower. Not sure if that makes much sense.
I thought it up on the spot. I didn't realize this was going to be a disruption, but since it was, there had to be a good reason for it.
If I thought you were being ironic and knew what the word meant, I'd say you just did some priceless sophism, but since I don't think so, I'm going to go with WHAT THE HELL?
09-27-2009 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Yeah, what CSR said.

Surprised that I'd agree that 12th Archivist should stay? Don't be--what bothered me was the idea that there was nothing to his presence other than these multiple identities, and once they were revealed, it wasn't worth staying. If he's serious that he feels like he's part of the community, then why shouldn't he stay?
09-27-2009 at 02:12 AM
12th Archivist
icon It's the start (0)  
noma wrote:
I really doubt anyone hates you or thinks you're evil. Sad, self centered, self important, insecure; maybe. But evil? Hardly. However if you are responsible for minimike -- which I suspect you might be, since I've alway been certain that he was an anon-account for someone here -- then the sooner you're gone the better. EDIT: Okay, that sounded a bit harsh, but really. Someone who gets their jollies this way? Pretty pathetic. And... prringles, anyone? Hmm...?
I'm not sure why people think I'm getting my jollies this way. Every account I ever had was a genuine attempt to contribute to the forum. If I had been playing you, would I still be here? If I had, I would have been either long gone running away or hiding behind another forum account.

Sad and insecure I am not. Self-centered and self-important? I don't know. Probably sub-consciously but definite, since I only recently noticed how many "I"'s I put into my posts.

I've got a suggestion. Don't leave. I know you love DROD. Anyway, if 12th Archivist left, I'm sure you'd be back with a new name sooner or later. Spare us the trouble. Tell Schik you'd like to keep your 12th Archivist account active, and he'll disable the others.
I do love DROD, but I can hardly bear to show my sorry posts on this forum again. I have lied, cheated, and made this self-serving pity party. What can you say to a person like that?

You have some friends here on the forum who have fun talking with you.
Maybe. I haven't seen much evidence of this, but it could be true.

You've got some good starts for holds. Why not finish them up?
This is quite true. I've been meaning to continue work on Spike Pit for an incredibly long time, but haven't had the chance for others to test. Break Out of Jail! Hasn't been released yet, either.

You've made some decent contest entries. That's great, and we need more people participating in contests.
Maybe not decent, but at least it's a practice for future contests.

There's no need to abandon things that don't come out perfect on your first try.
Two I abandoned (not too early). One I couldn't log in again and was forced to become extinct. One remains (this one). One was too ambitious and could have done with some more *work*. The other two were flukes in the system that I would have loved to continue.

So this little experiment/game/prank/whatever with multiple accounts didn't end so well. Too bad, but you'll get through it, and so will everyone else.
This wasn't an attempt to experiment with your lives, this wasn't a game for enjoyment. This wasn't a prank simply because I really tried. Therefore, this is "Whatever". I know I will get through it eventually, but what of the rest of the community? This was an incredible disturbance that shook the very foundations of this forum. Can one go on after causing an event like that and not have the whispers of cruel things follow them?

I want to remain on this forum with a clean slate, but that one ability of mine has been frozen. Unless an incredible distaste of me remains, I will strive for making this forum a better place.

Again, I apologize for my atrocious behavior of abusing certain rights on the internet. I will remain truly anonymous, since like Tahnan said, it doesn't matter. I hate what I had forced myself to do in the past. And finally, good motivation CSR! You deserve a reward, but what could it be?

Yeah. It's a new start. No more making new accounts. No more pissing all over somebody's ideas without excellent reason. And finally, no more self-serving activities!

If you'll excuse me, there's a few holds on the architect board to test and comment on. Ciao! :)

09-27-2009 at 02:39 AM
zex20913
icon Re: It's the start (+1)  
12th Archivist wrote:
This was an incredible disturbance that shook the very foundations of this forum.

Overestimating much? I can think of three other things that have happened off of the top of my head more foundation shaking than digging out a multi.

Edit: Move on. You're trying to dig out of a hole.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 09-27-2009 02:45 AM]
09-27-2009 at 02:44 AM
12th Archivist
icon Re: It's the start (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:
This was an incredible disturbance that shook the very foundations of this forum.

Overestimating much? I can think of three other things that have happened off of the top of my head more foundation shaking than digging out a multi.
Maybe not as bad I saw it. I've just never seen anybody that riled up before. From my memory, the only other time people have ever gotten themselves that angry was when Jatopian or Maroug discussed downmods in great detail.

Edit: Move on. You're trying to dig out of a hole.
Depending on what you mean by that statement, I either agree with you or wholeheartedly disagree. Does your post mean either, "Move on from this event. In this event, you're trying to dig out of a hole." or "Move on from this forum. No matter what you do to try to redeem yourself, you're just trying to dig out of a hole.". Maybe it means something else entirely? What's your position here?

09-27-2009 at 02:57 AM
zex20913
12th Archivist wrote:

Depending on what you mean by that statement, I either agree with you or wholeheartedly disagree. Does your post mean either, "Move on from this event. In this event, you're trying to dig out of a hole." or "Move on from this forum. No matter what you do to try to redeem yourself, you're just trying to dig out of a hole.". Maybe it means something else entirely? What's your position here?

The former.

09-27-2009 at 03:23 AM
12th Archivist
zex20913 wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:

The former.
Yay. Many of you may not forgive me quite yet, but I do believe you will... in time. Meanwhile, we now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Psst, Zex! Did you notice you have exactly 10 times the amount of rank points I have? Kinda cool coincidence.

09-27-2009 at 04:07 AM
Snacko
It is a shock, but I'm sure we all want you to know that despite everything, you're still a valued member of this community, and we would hate to lose you.

09-27-2009 at 04:59 AM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
12th Archivist wrote:
I have come to understand that over time, you get a certain reputation as a member. Pretending to be from a different country, be a different age, and have a different name all aid in pretending you're someone else. The only reason to pretend you're someone else is either if you're tired of being "the ignorant one" and you have earned yourself such a bad reputation for this...
I think the only person that you need to work diligently on convincing that you're not "the ignorant one" is your own self. (You might want to start by deleting your current signature.)

And would you say that you (i.e., 12th Archivist) had responded to, um, yourself (i.e., Dr. Murphy) leaving as a way of telling on yourself and finally coming clean, as it were? (Sorry, but it's the only way I can make any sense out of it.)

Anyhow, I forgive you and also encourage you to stay put...er...using this account, of course.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-27-2009 10:04 PM]
09-27-2009 at 05:06 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I'm lost. Could you list for me exactly who your multis were?

In the spirit of fairness, mine are:

Tahnan
Elfstone
Banjooie
Rabscuttle
Jatopian
Schik

09-27-2009 at 05:50 AM
Dischorran
RoboBob3000 wrote:
I'm lost. Could you list for me exactly who your multis were?

In the spirit of fairness, mine are:

Tahnan
Elfstone
Banjooie
Rabscuttle
Jatopian
Schik
You forgot me.

09-27-2009 at 05:51 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : It's the end
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com