Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD in other games (A concept)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon DROD in other games (0)  
I've always thought that it would be interesting to imagine having the concept of DROD set in other games, and it would be a way to promote DROD to likeminded individuals. Not that it has to be an accurate port, but having a FPS where you hold a pointy object, chasing after goblin like moving creatures (in slow, yet real time), or massive bosses which you have to stab their tail while they chase you could have some potential. Equally, you could have a tower defense like game where you were the architect, trying to repel delver after delver, could yield some interesting results.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the idea out there.
06-07-2008 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: DROD in other games (+2)  
I always liked the idea of a DROD RPG--maybe don't have stats automatically go up with experience, but maybe something more along the lines of the Tower of the Sorceror game. Essentially, you have perfect information, and everything depends upon your choices. We could have different types of swords and armors and monsters, and keys for the doors...

Oh wait.

Oh yeah.

06-07-2008 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: DROD in other games (0)  
Strategic turn based RPG.

Ogre Battle, Disgaea, Vandal Hearts, Front Mission etc. style.

Different characters can have different number of phases in a turn. Roaches only have a single movement phase and an attack phase. They always move in order to attack until they are adjacect to the enemy unit N,S,E,W of them. Basic turn structure is:
Movement Phase > Attack Phase

Beethro has two attack phases in his round.
Movement Phase 1 > Attack Phase 2 > Movement Phase 2 > Attack Phase 2.
Of course he can forgo his second attack phase, or end turn optionally anytime.

There was other interesting things, like characters have special actions, like Beethro can sheath his sword. The character that moves next to an enemy gets bonus to attack, an enemy that stands directly in front of Beethro sword (when it's out) gets a penalty when attacking, Beethro is immune to some attacks to the front (exceptions when he levels up he can parry all frontal attacks except serpents doh).

Other notes: Beethro has 3 swords, because one big sword is not enough. Slayers would be still wisp dependent. Tar can grow up terrain but Mud can't. Well, I haven't figured how that would work yet...

Or a kart racing game with DROD characters and you joust characters with large swords.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 06-28-2008 11:59 PM]
06-28-2008 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
icon Re: DROD in other games (+1)  
A DRODlike DROD based roguelike. KDD layouts as dungeons comes to mind...

06-29-2008 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Do the opposite of what I do. Take a game with a level editor and script DROD into it.

07-05-2008 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
Many games in fact aspire to be DROD, but fail in one way or other. Here are some capsule reviews for the ones you definitely can miss.

DRON: Too much focus on snake movement puzzles.

DRODder Hero: I gave up after I couldn't find the stairs to second level. Good music though.

DRODience: Too many kings and I don't even know which one is Dugan.

DRODman: You have to collect some sort of pills and the seep are implemented totally wrong. Really Big Sword is missing.

DRODout: What is it with leaving the Really Big Sword out? You aren't supposed to be able to break crumbly walls without one.

DRODsweeper: It only has these strange trapdoor puzzles and you can't see Beethro. Not good at all.

DRODtris: Seriously, what is this game about? I don't get it...
07-06-2008 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Pekka wrote:
DRODtris: Seriously, what is this game about? I don't get it...
I'm not sure if I should mod you down right now, but I suggest you to play it again before making any wild claims.

07-06-2008 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
Dear Tim, people who play chess have a saying that the threat is stronger than the execution, which means you should gently remind me that you could downmod me any time you want, but never actually do it. I consider myself now gently reminded!

Speaking of chess, has anybody considered making a DROD-themed chess variant? Or, if you were to make a DROD-themed chess set, what would the various pieces be? Is Beethro just a pawn or something more?

(My gentle reminder to the gentle reader: This is just a humble attempt to get the thread back on track.)
07-07-2008 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
King: Beethro
Queen: Halph
Bishops: Fegundos
Knights: Goblins
Rooks: Rock Golems
Pawns: Roaches.

That would be the most logical set in my mind.

Edit: And I believe Tim wanted to mod you down because he didn't know you were joking, and there actually is a DRODtris.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-07-2008 07:15 PM]
07-07-2008 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Edit: And I believe Tim wanted to mod you down because he didn't know you were joking, and there actually is a DRODtris.
Was the link in my previous post so hard to find?
(Note to myself: Next time use a different font for "hidden" links.)

Edit: back to topic, I do have an idea for a DROD derived game, but I'd rather finish the other one first ;)

[Last edited by Tim at 07-08-2008 01:07 AM]
07-08-2008 at 01:05 AM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Queen: Halph
Bishops: Fegundos
Pawns: Roaches.

I agree for the most part, but I suggest a few substitutions. First off, I'd have the Slayer as the Queen. My understanding of the K/Q relationship as virtual antithesis supports this, to my mind. Or if you want different Kings and Queens for White and Black, I'd pair Beethro/Halph vs. Slayer/Neather.
Certainly nothing is better for the Knight than the Goblin, with the possible exception of the Wraithwing: the erratic jumping piece gets an erratic flying monster.
The Bishop is hard, as nothing in DROD prefers diagonal movement as such. Perhaps the Evil Eye, staring diagonally?

My lineup:
Queen: Slayer
Bishops: Evil Eyes
Pawns: Roaches

BbJ

07-08-2008 at 02:58 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
I'd be tempted to use wubbas for bishops. Nice and round, and they have restricted movement just like golems.
07-08-2008 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
Tuttle wrote:
I'd be tempted to use wubbas for bishops. Nice and round, and they have restricted movement just like golems.
Except they can't kill anything. Unless of course there's eight of them and they surround the victim and let it starve to death. And the latter takes time.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 07-08-2008 08:41 AM]
07-08-2008 at 08:40 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Perhaps gel babies would work for bishops, then.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-08-2008 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
eb0ny wrote:
Except [wubbas] can't kill anything. Unless of course there's eight of them and they surround the victim and let it starve to death. And the latter takes time.
Good point. That'd almost be enough to make you want to turn off the fight animations in DROD Battle Chess. Almost.

I'm all for gel babies too.
07-08-2008 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
...Salamanders would be the best for bishops. Check the architecture board for that one.

07-08-2008 at 01:56 PM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Perhaps the rules of chess could be modified a bit to account for DROD elements, rather than it playing exactly the same as chess.

Or we could get someone to make DROD Monopoly. Go directly to the dungeon. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 greckles.

[Last edited by AtkinsSJ at 07-08-2008 07:32 PM]
07-08-2008 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Making adjustments for size, a miniture one tile snake actually moves like a rook. As a color scheme, you could do red and blue, with mud/tar babies for pawns, snakes for rooks, mimics/guards for knights... ok things break down a little there. Am I missing some, or do we need Chaco or Calamarain to make some new monsters? I haven't played the Fireball hold yet, is that monster red? Could I get one in blue?

07-10-2008 at 12:13 AM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
Since this came up, I'm intrigued by the idea of playing a chess like game with Drod characters and monsters, which actually behave like how they do in Drod. There's no guarantee this is going to be a well playable game, but it's fun speculating nevertheless. I've thought about it a bit and came up with a possible game setup and rules.

Board: 10x10, central 8x8 squares are floor, 1 square wide perimeter is pit.

Pieces: Initially arranged like normal chess pieces on the 8x8 floor area.
replacing pawns: roaches
replacing rooks: guards
replacing knights: wraithwings
replacing bishops: aumtlich
replacing queen: slayer
replacing king: goblin king

Any piece can move like in Drod, except roaches, which would rather move like chess pawns. A move consists of either a step to one of the neighboring squares, or rotating clockwise/anticlockwise (sworded entities and aumtlich only). Wraithwings are the only pieces which can access the outer rim of pits, where they are safe from other monsters, except for swords and each other. Pieces cannot move into squares occupied by swords, but a square may contain more than one sword.

Capturing works like attacking in Drod: swordless monsters move onto a square with an enemy piece replacing it. Sworded entities can swing or move their sword into an enemy, thus removing it. Slayers can capture in both ways. Again, roaches have chess-pawn like abilities for capturing. Capturing friendly pieces with body is not allowed, however with a sword it's possible. Hitting your own king with a sword is illegal.

Aumtlich have the additional ability to freeze one of the opponents pieces in their line of sight. The frozen piece will have no legal moves, except rotating if applicable.
Aumtlich can be frozen themselves when looking at a sword perpendicular to their line of sight. Gazes are blocked by swords and friendly pieces.

Check, mate and stalemate are defined similarly as in chess, as is the goal of the game and the ways to draw. This should cover basic play; any rules I forgot are probably similar to chess.

This is just a draft version with pieces and rules I thought would be interesting. Feel free to discuss.

07-11-2008 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
What would be the initial facing for guards and Slayers?
07-11-2008 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
All facing the outer pits. So whites slayer faces S and his guards face SW and SE along the main diagonals of the board. Blacks pieces are placed symmetrically.

07-11-2008 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD in other games (A concept)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com