Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRODtris
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged

File: DRODtris_0_1_0.zip (930.1 KB)
Downloaded 416 times.
License: Other
icon DRODtris (+3)  
DRODtris (tetris clone for DROD lovers).
This originallly started as a joke and now I find that people are interested in it actually happening... so, here it is!

I will always post the latest version on this post (to the left).
Any suggestions, ideas, etc. is appreciated. If you notice a slow-down in my working on this, it is probably becuase I am busy and don't have time to update it.

I will try to keep this updated as much as possible and let everyone know what I am working on and what is happening with the program.

***This is just alpha and not a complete work... Please be patient with me and my program***

[Edited by bradwall on 10-01-2003 at 10:44 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-01-2003 at 10:46 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-02-2003 at 12:06 AM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-02-2003 at 01:17 AM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-02-2003 at 06:56 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-03-2003 at 06:25 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-03-2003 at 10:54 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-06-2003 at 11:17 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-07-2003 at 12:04 AM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-07-2003 at 12:07 AM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-07-2003 at 06:16 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-08-2003 at 07:17 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-08-2003 at 08:20 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-09-2003 at 03:47 PM]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-10-2003 at 08:37 PM GMT]

[Edited by bradwall on 10-13-2003 at 04:09 PM GMT]
10-01-2003 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1132
icon Re: DRODtris (0)  
You know how the bottom and right edges of the playing field are not shown? Perhaps you could fill in the unused space so players know what the boundaries are.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-01-2003 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Ok, already a new version. This has the following changes:

Keys:
Q = rotate piece counter-clockwise
W = rotate piece clockwise
Left Arrow = move piece left
Right Arrow = move piece right
Down Arrow = move piece down
Up Arrow = rotate the piece clockwise

Numberpad:
4 = move piece left
6 = move piece right
2 = move piece down
0 = shoot piece all the way down to bottom
5 = rotate piece clockwise
8 = rotate piece counter-clockwise

If anyone has a different idea on how the keyboard should be layed out, please let me know. I just through some stuff together. I can change what keys does what. Any ideas on what may be smoother?
10-02-2003 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
icon Re: Re: DRODtris (0)  
NoahT wrote:
You know how the bottom and right edges of the playing field are not shown? Perhaps you could fill in the unused space so players know what the boundaries are.

-Noah

I don't think I understand what you mean by the bottom and right edges of the playing field are shown? What do you mean. Everything looks visible to me.
10-02-2003 at 12:08 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
icon Re: Re: Re: DRODtris (0)  
bradwall wrote:
NoahT wrote:

-Noah

I don't think I understand what you mean by the bottom and right edges of the playing field are shown? What do you mean. Everything looks visible to me.

What I'm saying is it looks like there is more space on the playing field than there really is, since pieces can't go all the way to the right of the boxed space, and they stop before they reach the line at the bottom. Sorry for the confusion. :-O

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-02-2003 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I see what you are saying now. Thanks for the suggestion.
10-02-2003 at 12:25 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
bradwall wrote:
If anyone has a different idea on how the keyboard should be layed out, please let me know. I just through some stuff together. I can change what keys does what. Any ideas on what may be smoother?

I have a laptop, and if I don't feel like using the integrated numberpad I don't have a way of using the "shoot to the bottom" option. How difficult is it to have a user-configured keymapping? Failing that, I would just pick another key to "shoot to the bottom"...perhaps the space bar, which is easily reachable by the thumb of the left hand when pressing Q and W.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-02-2003 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I will make the space bar do the fast drop as well... I will add a feature that will let the user set up what keys does what, but as for now, I will just change it so that the space bar drops it fast.

Give me about two minutes and I will fix it and post it.

10-02-2003 at 01:15 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
I just got a 'Runtime Error 6 overflow' I wasn't watching my score, but it was pretty high. Could also have been the number of rows removed I suppose. I won't be replaying just now, after just one game I'm kinda burned out with Tetris for the day...

Related to this, since I was on level ~30, perhaps you might want to adjust the difficulty settings :P Or optimise the drawing speed. I noticed the game played much faster with only a few blocks on the screen, a noticeable change after 2-3 incomplete lines... Is this intentional? It's kinda useful near the top, where gameplay slows down to a crawl... :D

The collision detection logic near the top of the play area could do with some work, since a bunch of blocks superimpose themselves over each other.

Also, it'd be nice to have a x2 zoom, so the game is playable at higher resolutions.

Last thing I can think of now, is it would be easier to install new versions and keep the current scores.txt, if it was created internally in the program when it doesn't exist, and removed from the .zip
10-02-2003 at 08:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
It'd be nice if you added version info to the name of the zip-file..
10-02-2003 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Same thing as Stuart, just got a Runtime Error 6 Overflow too, also after a fairly intensive session - last time I checked I was on Level 25.

Liking the new drop feature, occasionally it goes a bit odd - pressing space when the piece is fairly high up sometimes doesn't drop it all the way, about one row too short. Causes slight judders sometimes too. But I appreciate that it's not meant to be perfect.

"Oook!"
10-02-2003 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Just put a new version on. This one changed the difficulty of the game. It speeds up faster, so I don't know if anyone will make it to level 30 again... it moves very fast after a few levels.

I think that the Runtime Error 6 Overflow may be due to the score. But, I have the score variable set as a Long... which means that the score would have to be a bit over 2 billion points... If anyone gets the error, try to notice your score every so often so that I can see what the issue may be with this error.
10-02-2003 at 07:02 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
bradwall wrote:
I think that the Runtime Error 6 Overflow may be due to the score. But, I have the score variable set as a Long... which means that the score would have to be a bit over 2 billion points... If anyone gets the error, try to notice your score every so often so that I can see what the issue may be with this error.
Are you using VB? Maybe you are assigning your long variable into a smaller variable.

-Erik

10-02-2003 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I just played again and noticed that it does slow down when there are more pieces on the board... I think that this is the case becase the way the program works... whenever a piece is falling, it does the following (in general):
paint the board, paint all pieces, paint the falling piece.

With all the painting going on, it is slowing down. The problem can easily be changed if I didn't have a background image in the playing field... I would just paint directly behind the piece the color of the background playing field. Less painting going on because I would not have to repaint all pieces.

But, I really feel that we need the image in the background, so I need to repaint the background image everytime... If I don't, then the dropping piece makes a streak down the page. To fix this, I have to repaint the background, which covers all of the pieces that have already fallen... needing to repaint them.

Vicious circle!

I am going to look into a way that I can just get the streak to disappear from the dropping piece. Not sure how, need to study into that.

To reply to trick:
I will start putting a version number on the zip file so that you can know if it is newer than what you have. I will do this on the next version I release.
10-02-2003 at 07:12 PM
bradwall
icon Re: Re: Re: DRODtris (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Are you using VB? Maybe you are assigning your long variable into a smaller variable.

I am using VB... I will look into this and see if that is the problem. Thanks.

EDIT:
Humm... I am not assigning my Long to another smaller variable type. I will have to look into this more. Thanks for the help, though.

[Edited by bradwall on 10-02-2003 at 07:15 PM]
10-02-2003 at 07:13 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
bradwall wrote:
With all the painting going on, it is slowing down.
Well, that really isn't a lot of painting. You should be able to have things as fast as you want them with your smaller screen area and limited number of sprites.

If you are using controls to show individual sprites, that would be much slower than using DirectDraw or even just the BitBlt() API. But I can understand that you wouldn't want to recode a lot of stuff for a project you have a minor interest in.

-Erik

10-02-2003 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I am using BitBlt() to do the "painting" (probably not the proper term for it). I guess that the problem may be something in my program. I will have to look into it. It is strange and I can't seem to find it.
10-02-2003 at 07:24 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
bradwall wrote:
But, I really feel that we need the image in the background, so I need to repaint the background image everytime... If I don't, then the dropping piece makes a streak down the page. To fix this, I have to repaint the background, which covers all of the pieces that have already fallen... needing to repaint them.
You could fix that by repainting only the part of the background that was covered by the falling piece the previous frame. An easy way is to make the falling piece a mask for the background of the next frame, or somesuch.

I will start putting a version number on the zip file so that you can know if it is newer than what you have. I will do this on the next version I release.
Great :)

10-02-2003 at 07:31 PM
bradwall
New version (0.0.1)

New features:
- Put all data files into folders.
- Background and Bricks change when moving to a new level.

I still have a problem with the pieces falling slower at when a certain number of rows are filled... I (like I said before) am using BitBlt, so I shouldn't be having the problem... it may be something in my code, but I don't see it yet. This is some older code that I dug out of my closet of old source code, and it is in the day of my "don't comment the code because you really don't think it matters" days. Boy, was I an idiot!
10-03-2003 at 06:25 PM
bradwall
One more thing:
I was hoping to use the DROD icon and the DROD cursor but, I don't see it in the DROD program folder. Is it availible and can I use it?
10-03-2003 at 06:28 PM
bradwall
New version (0.0.2)

New features:
- New sounds (DROD sounds):
- BeethroDie3.wav = Game Over
- mimic.wav = 1-3 lines removed
- BeethroLaugh(1,2, or 3).wav = Tetris
- QuickScrape.wav = rotate piece
- blooomp.wav = pieces fall and just stop (no lines removed)
- NeatherMad.wav = next level

- New options-settings window... just ignore this, I don't have anything functioning in the Settings... just a window. I will put the ability to select which keys do what.

I still have a problem with the pieces falling slower at when a certain number of rows are filled... I am still looking into this.
10-03-2003 at 10:54 PM
bradwall
New version (0.0.3)
EDIT: (0.0.4)

This version fixed the problem where the pieces would slow down after a few lines were filled. It should stay a constant speed for the entire level (until is speeds up for the next level)... at least, I believe that it is fixed. If someone could try it and let me know. Also, let me know if the levels increase in difficulty too fast or if you want it harder.

If this version looks good, I will start adding features... I have some good ideas what I would like to do, but I would like to keep it a secret for now. I want to be sure that it is possible first... don't want to get hopes up, then crash them. I will say, that The 'Neather is in it and will be a pest in the game.

Let me know how this version goes.

Also, please ignore the options - setting window... it doesn't do anything. I will put settings in there, but not yet.

Also, let me know what you think about the level that hides the spiders. This level gives it a DROD feel to it. It is hard when the spiders blend into the background of the playing board. I thought that this would be cool to keep this way (being a DROD feature and all).

EDIT:
Just noticed a bug...
- when you hit level 10, the piecies drop so fast that it is uncontrolable. I chaged this and now the new version is 0.0.4.

[Edited by bradwall on 10-07-2003 at 12:03 AM]
10-06-2003 at 11:17 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
This is great, Brad! Keep it coming! :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-07-2003 at 01:07 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The DROD cursor and icon are actually bitmaps. I should be able to rustle up a cursor file based off the DROD cursor, but it's probably not safe from a compitibilty point of view.

As for the icon, try the favicon for DROD.net. It's similar (mostly because I felt I had to introduce extra colours). Be warned that I'll probably change it within the next few days, but if you didn't get it I'll send it to you.

Matt

10-07-2003 at 10:51 AM
bradwall
Thanks for the icon, I will include it in the next build, along with a special "someone" (ok, it's the 'Neather) in the game.

10-07-2003 at 03:02 PM
bradwall
New version (0.0.5)

Features:
- New icon.
- The Neather is in this game now. I won't tell you what he does because I don't want to spoil it for you. There is a progress bar (which is for the Neather. He does his "speical move" when the progress bar fills up. Right now, the progress bar starts over when you hit a new level. I was thinking about having the progress bar go down evey time you get a line completed. I don't know yet.

Let me know what you think.

[Edited by bradwall on 10-07-2003 at 06:47 PM]
10-07-2003 at 06:15 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Oooh. Nasty.

Well, I'm not good enough to get that runtmi error anymore, so that's one problem solved...

Just a couple of comments in no particular order, you can ignore them all you like:

Why only change backgrounds for the first 9 levels? A cycle so it changes every levels would be nice - maybe a random choice from the other backgrounds.

On the subject of backgrounds, please could we lose the palace style? It's almost impossible to see the spiders and its a pain when you think you've got a blank square and it turns out to be a spider.

Also, possibly loop the music? It stops after a bit and I quite like it. DROD music would be better of course. ;)

The Slime style makes a weird white border around the monsters, particularly noticeable on the eyes. Just minor aesthetics, it doesn't affect gameplay.

These are just little things though. Overall, it's great. Please keep going... :)

"Oook!"
10-07-2003 at 09:03 PM
bradwall
krammer wrote:
Oooh. Nasty.

Well, I'm not good enough to get that runtmi error anymore, so that's one problem solved...

I know where the problem for this is taking place, I have not fixed it yet, but it is just a calculation problem when the player gets to high levels. I will fix this later.

Why only change backgrounds for the first 9 levels? A cycle so it changes every levels would be nice - maybe a random choice from the other backgrounds.

I was planning on having it randomly pick backgrounds after level 9, but I haven't put it in the game yet. Since it has been suggested, I probably should do it now. Thanks for the suggestion.

On the subject of backgrounds, please could we lose the palace style? It's almost impossible to see the spiders and its a pain when you think you've got a blank square and it turns out to be a spider.

Oh, I really liked putting this in the game. I thought that it would give the game the effect of what the spiders are really like! What does everyone else think:huh Should I keep the palace style or take it out? I, myself, like it.

Also, possibly loop the music? It stops after a bit and I quite like it. DROD music would be better of course. ;)

I will probably do this when I put DROD music into the game.

The Slime style makes a weird white border around the monsters, particularly noticeable on the eyes. Just minor aesthetics, it doesn't affect gameplay.

Hummm, don't know what I will do about this yet. I will have to see what I can do. I don't really want to recreate the graphics again. We'll see.

These are just little things though. Overall, it's great. Please keep going... :)

I am glad to see that people are liking it, I will keep working on ideas. I was thinking about having the neather do different things. Maybe, when the progress bar reaches the top, have it randomly pick what he will do. One thing may be just thowing down a weird looking piece, another thing he may do is what he does now. I was also thinking of having the neather (when a person gets to a specific level) hit his hammer on the "Next Pieces" window and "break" it so that you can't see the line up for the next pieces.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Any others are welcome.

10-07-2003 at 09:34 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I agree with bradwall...the point of the spiders is that you can't see them on the Palace tileset. It's what makes DRODtris what it is!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play the more recent builds...too busy with other stuff. I will someday soon, I promise.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-07-2003 at 10:04 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Though much better, the game still seems to slow near the top, with a full screen. And though I didn't test this thoroughly, I didn't see an obvious speed increase after level 9-10 (though I only got to level 12) I was mostly using the top half after level 7-8, so this could be the same drawing issue compensating for any speed increases.

I see a significant speedup between levels 5 and 6 (too much?) Perhaps I cleared lots of blocks at the same time as leveling up, or there simply is a big speed increase...

After game over, the bar continues to move, and the Neather continued to laugh every so often.

When pressing the spacebar, or when the Neather does his thing, it would be nice if the placement of the blocks was consistent (always one square away from landing, so the player has a little time to react in the event of bad luck, and there isn't the chance of a flurry of 3 blocks, in the case of the Neather)

When playing one game after another (I'd reached level 12 in the first game) I saw the bar move much faster, at the start of the second game. The bar almost managed to get to the end before the first block landed. I did change screen resolution before starting the second game (from 1024x768 to 1600x1200) with DRODtris running. Not reinitialising a variable, or something to do with the resolution change?

Quit and restart fixed the fast bar problem. On a new game, I died on the palace tileset (level 6?) Another new game started on the same tileset. Eyes hurt :(

Perhaps make those spiders a little more obvious (at least they're not blinking, so that's something) Slightly vary the colour of the spider, so it's not quite so camouflaged, or make the eyes a little bigger... Purity of concepts be damned, this is fast, non turn based game, so let's make it playable...

I don't like ESC to immediately quit when midgame, without any prompt. Either pause it, or confirm the quit (options of quit, return to main menu, continue?)

I see some other drawing and sound related speed issues when running 12 instances of DRODTris at once. Don't worry about this one... :P
10-07-2003 at 10:57 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRODtris
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com