Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Do you have any other gaming obsessions? (let's be crazy together!)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malorie
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 63
IP: Logged
icon Do you have any other gaming obsessions? (+1)  
Do you have any other games that you're madly in love with?
A 'special' game that you hold dear in your heart?
A devotion to a franchise?
Another game where you spend all your time on their forums and community?
A huge collection of games for just one system that you think is wonderful?
A rare game that's worth crazy amounts of money on ebay that you treasure?

Tell us about it! ^_^

I have loads of gaming obsessions. @_@ I've always devoted my free time to videogames for as long as I can remember, and am proud of it! ^^ And as such, have built up my own collection of games!

But, by far, my biggest obsession is the Dynasty Warriors franchise by Koei! I love those games so much... and apparantly I'm one of the few people who do, 'cause they always get terrible review scores on websites, but I still love them. :3

As I'm fond of abusing my tired ancient digicam to take photos of things, I took a photo of my collection too!
My crazy insane obsessive Koei 'Warriors' collection!

01-11-2008 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Do you have any other gaming obsessions? (+1)  
I've been playing Kingdom of Loathing for nearly two years. The only game to hold my interest longer is DROD.

01-11-2008 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malorie
icon Re: Do you have any other gaming obsessions? (0)  
Curiouser and curiouser!

It seems most people here like 'visually simple but complex gameplay' games... ^^

I've never played Repton... but searching wikipedia about it, it looks similar to Boulderdash, from what I understand! I tried to get into a remake thingie of boulderdash once called 'Rocks n Boulders', but got kinda bored of it... I think because a lot of the levels were just kinda like... whole maps filled with randomly placed dirt and rocks and enemies, with no real 'design' to it... plus I found it really freaking hard cause it was all realtime (and also had timed levels), so it was far too easy for an enemy to walk next to you and you'd suddenly die!

As for Kingdom of Loathing... I tried that once, but couldn't get into it either... ^^;; I appreciate its kinda self-parody writing, but I didn't actually find it fun to play.

But yay for diversity in tastes! ^_^
I think the main reason I enjoy DROD, is not solely for its puzzle nature, but also the whole 'systematic methodical killing of enemies while exploring' thing it has going on. ^^

To compare it to my previous dynasty warriors obsession, that also has a 'systematic killing of loads of enemies whilst making sure you don't get overwhelmed and surrounded' gameplay theme!

01-11-2008 at 08:49 PM
Malorie
Nuntar wrote:Let's just say the two are often compared (including in certain previous topics on this forum!) The largest difference is that Repton is much more about the puzzles, whereas BD has some similar puzzles but seems to be much more about action and racing monsters. For a start, the gameplay rule in Repton that, unlike in BD, you can't run down under a falling boulder then step aside and survive is the starting point for many cunning puzzles involving digging out diamonds from a boulder patch. Also, spirits and cages are a very versatile puzzle element quite unlike anything in BD.

PS. I have no right to be curious about this, but is Malorie your real name? I just ask because it could be. And collecting unusual names is one of my hobbies.

Ah, that does sound like a better game! Though I'm still not too fond of the whole real-time thing.. I have enough trouble trying not to die in turnbased games, let alone ones where the enemies are running all over the place ^^;

and yup, Malorie's my real name! ^_^
Its typically a French name I believe... and apparantly means 'bad luck'. ^^;;

01-11-2008 at 10:54 PM
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: Do you have any other gaming obsessions? (-1)  
Gaia online has ruined a significant portion of this generation.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 01-11-2008 11:02 PM]
01-11-2008 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
My equivalent obsession to Repton has to be Supaplex. Started playing it 15 years ago, and took me 10 years on and off to complete.

It's also a Boulderdash clone, but less extensive than Repton which I guess is slightly overwhelming in my mind. It's still a very difficult game of 111 levels requiring quick thinking and nimble fingers.

As for the name Malorie, it doesn't mean bad luck :) If your surname is Knox though, I'll send you some SMS credits... Perfect name.
01-11-2008 at 11:38 PM
Malorie
zonhin wrote:
How so?

Syntax:My equivalent obsession to Repton has to be Supaplex. Started playing it 15 years ago, and took me 10 years on and off to complete.

It's also a Boulderdash clone, but less extensive than Repton which I guess is slightly overwhelming in my mind. It's still a very difficult game of 111 levels requiring quick thinking and nimble fingers.

As for the name Malorie, it doesn't mean bad luck If your surname is Knox though, I'll send you some SMS credits... Perfect name.

It doesn't? I just quickly googled to check, and I'm still getting results saying things like "Variant of the name 'Mallory', Name meaning: Ill-fated luck"...

Sadly though, my surname is not Knox. :p

01-11-2008 at 11:51 PM
zonhin
Malorie wrote:
zonhin wrote:
How so?
^_^

^^^ That thing ^^^

01-11-2008 at 11:58 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
zonhin, I'm gonna have to publicly ask you to recant that. Firstly, it's actually kind of cute in moderation; secondly, she doesn't use it that excessively; and thirdly, it's off-topic.

I have heard enough about this Gaia thing to suspect that there may be valid criticisms of it, but this is not among them, and I suspect that Gaia neither originated nor especially popularized the emoticon.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 01-12-2008 12:05 AM]
01-12-2008 at 12:04 AM
Malorie
Anyways, to return to the topic!,
I played some 'Supaplex' levels as part of that Rocks n Diamonds remake game too (it had levels based on Boulderdash, Supaplex, and Diamond Mine).

I had pretty much the same impression of it as I did with Boulderdash to be honest (though it was better designed)... but there were several things that were still a little annoying... (for my personal gaming preferences that is...)

The main one would be that making one single 'wrong' boulder drop can cause you to get completely stuck with no chance of finishing the level unless you suicide yourself to start over. The other thing that kinda bugged me, was that there were three 'disk' object things that all looked basically the same to me (they had either a red, orange, or yellow stripe), but each one did something completely different. And it was so easy to confuse them, especially as the colours were so similar!

01-12-2008 at 12:18 AM
zonhin
icon Re: Do you have any other gaming obsessions? (-2)  
I take that back. Anime ruins everything.

01-12-2008 at 12:26 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Deus Ex, System shock 2, Hitman: Blood Money. The first 3 levels of Crysis (before the Alien temple and the game turns into a Halo wannabe).
01-12-2008 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Please don't kill me for saying this, but...
Doom FPSes in general. :look

[Last edited by Monkey at 01-18-2008 02:15 PM]
01-12-2008 at 01:16 AM
Malorie
NiroZ wrote:
Deus Ex, System shock 2, Hitman: Blood Money. The first 3 levels of Crysis (before the Alien temple and the game turns into a Halo wannabe).

I've not played any of those games... I've played Bioshock (apparantly a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2) though, which I was obsessed with whilst I was playing it! But after I completed it, it was kinda like... "Oh.", and then I went back to obsessing over something else. ^^; I love its art design in the game though!

Monkey wrote:
Please don't kill me for saying this, but...
Doom.
The best thing I like about Doom... strangely enough... is the music! For such an old game, it had wonderful music, and I have MP3s of it! My two favourites, are the first level music of Doom and Doom 2... they have such awesome percussion!

01-12-2008 at 01:23 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Does anyone find it unnerving that all* of Malorie's posts seems to be in threads about fishing information out of people?

Precisely what marketing corporation are you working for? :(

*Okay, almost.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 01-12-2008 02:08 AM]
01-12-2008 at 02:08 AM
Malorie
icon Re: Do you have any other gaming obsessions? (+3)  
Banjooie wrote:
Does anyone find it unnerving that all* of Malorie's posts seems to be in threads about fishing information out of people?

Precisely what marketing corporation are you working for? :(

*Okay, almost.
I work for The Designated Females!(tm) All Rights Reserved.
We crave answers in the midst of the night, and will perish without attention...
Our membership is going pretty strong these days, over half of the worlds population have joined us... and we have an active presence in every country, and even every species!
Our love for answers and social interaction will reign supreme! We shall unearth peoples feelings, and absorb them into our souls!

If only that pesky China had not figured out our demonic ways!!!

01-12-2008 at 04:47 AM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
It's a little scary, but I can cope with it nonetheless.

01-12-2008 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I am not china, I only farmed that gold ONCE and

I mean what no
01-12-2008 at 06:37 AM
zonhin
Oh lord. I just realized exactly what I was doing. I was making fun of a girl who was no older then 12. I couldn't sleep at all tonight. Consider this an apology. :)

01-12-2008 at 07:51 AM
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
Jatopian wrote:
I've been playing Kingdom of Loathing for nearly two years. The only game to hold my interest longer is DROD.
I've been playing Kingdom of Loathing since I was turned onto it by Claythro back in '04. I lost my original character, but I have far surpassed it in my latest incarnation as Mad Hamish.

01-12-2008 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
zonhin wrote:
Hate for ^_^

I don't see how it's any worse than =), I mean at least it's the right way up.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 01-12-2008 08:16 AM]
01-12-2008 at 08:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malorie
zonhin wrote:
Oh lord. I just realized exactly what I was doing. I was making fun of a girl who was no older then 12. I couldn't sleep at all tonight. Consider this an apology. :)

15, but it's close enough I guess. :P

01-12-2008 at 08:40 AM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
:) is much better. It's a classic. A classic, I say!

01-12-2008 at 09:26 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well if there was a game that was based on googling it would probably move to number 1 for me, yes even over DROD. There was one for a while where eastereggs were hidden in websites and collecting them got you a reward but it didn't last long. On that thought have you googled your name? "The Designated Females!(tm) All Rights Reserved" brings up some interesting results. Did you know some ladies in the icann community of registra's had wanted to be "the Designated Females", to get out of having to play to much soccer, well at least according to their archived e-mails. Some fun reading over there if you are snoopy like me. :lol

Anyway, my favorite game is MYST. I fell in love with the first in the series and if I could afford it I would join the online community. It has a history of ups and downs just like DROD, so I guess I like games that are just on the egde of consumer interest.
:fun

01-12-2008 at 09:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malorie
techant wrote:
Well if there was a game that was based on googling it would probably move to number 1 for me, yes even over DROD. There was one for a while where eastereggs were hidden in websites and collecting them got you a reward but it didn't last long. On that thought have you googled your name? "The Designated Females!(tm) All Rights Reserved" brings up some interesting results. Did you know some ladies in the icann community of registra's had wanted to be "the Designated Females", to get out of having to play to much soccer, well at least according to their archived e-mails. Some fun reading over there if you are snoopy like me. :lol

Anyway, my favorite game is MYST. I fell in love with the first in the series and if I could afford it I would join the online community. It has a history of ups and downs just like DROD, so I guess I like games that are just on the egde of consumer interest.
:fun

For me, it would be wikipedia searching instead of googling! I love searching wiki for everything, it's always somehow fascinating! And even when its dull, you can look at past edits to see vandalisms people have made. XD

I like Myst too! I've played the first three Myst games... but I used a walkthrough pretty much all the way through Riven. The concept of learning an entirely new numerical system and matching fictional sounds to animals which dont even exist went waayyyy over my head. Plus it had crazy backtracking... like rotating something on one side of the island, then having to go alllll the way around the island to the other side just to go in the thing you rotated, lower a bridge, then go allllll the way back again... so yeah, a guide was useful. ^^;

I needed a guide for the maze thingy in Myst 1 too (where every direction looks identical, and you were supposed to work out which way to go from a little 'boing' sound each time you stooped at a junction). The whole idea of associating 'boing' with 'go north-east now' didn't really jump at me. But I did the rest of the game myself, it was fun to work out the backstory and everything by yourself without it being force-fed to you like some games!

As for Myst 3... to be honest, I barely remember anything about it... I remember it looking really beautiful and having 360 degree rotation, but thats about it...

01-12-2008 at 09:41 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I loved the sounds in MYST the best and while the backtracking was annoying at times it also added to the wandering aspect of the game. And the beauty! I think they set the standard that we see now in other games as to the look and feel of a place.

I should have Googled my own idea of googling games. I found this site that lists a few so I may be gone awhile...If you don't hear from me I may be off Googling. Oh a blogger there said that Google wanted googling to have a cap G so I will be Googling from now on... :lol

01-12-2008 at 09:51 AM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
Ah, Myst! My favourite as well. Played all five games in the series & loved 'em.
Clever puzzles. Stunning visuals. Beautiful music. I still regularly listen to the soundtracks and use Myst screenshots as desktop wallpapers.
Heck, I even read the Myst novels...

01-12-2008 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I've played Myst I and II, and the Uru collection. I just got Myst IV. The worlds, sound and music are beautiful.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-12-2008 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I hated Myst but haven't really played much beyond half of the first.

Another great game (on a tangent) is Unsensible Soccer. Same engine, but with apples vs oranges using a hazelnut as ball which would bounce irrationaly and sometimes leave a banana peel where it bounced which would make your players slip over.

Had lots of fun with that one :)
01-13-2008 at 01:13 AM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
I personally am a massive fan of the Kingdom Hearts series. I am also currently obsessed with Guitar Hero 3 as well, although I haven't played all the games in the series yet

01-13-2008 at 07:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Do you have any other gaming obsessions? (let's be crazy together!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com