Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Val Unrich (Alternative/Shapeshifting)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (21 votes)
σ 2.88
Author Name:Benhur
Submitted By:The spitemaster
Hold Name:Val Unrich
Theme:Alternative/Shapeshifting
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:92
Number of Monsters:1463
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+6 / -1)
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Re: Val Unrich (0)  
Dear heaven! This is the most unique, difficult hold I've played in a long time. Did I mention that it was difficult?

Great job, though! I hope I'll manage to complete it.
03-29-2008 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
So is it just me, but do someone just vote a one? Is this sort of this common? I know that it has happened to others as well... That's too bad that you think that of this hold.

Edit: The other two way points are an example, just so there is no information that I an hiding from the player.

Edit: That's what hold Karma is for, shesh

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 03-29-2008 01:51 AM]
03-29-2008 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Probably someone is frustrated. Which is certainly no excuse, but that's probably why.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-29-2008 02:43 AM]
03-29-2008 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
If you want, I can give you a demo of the first room. But I'm guessing that more people will help you for this room on the Hints and Solutions board, which I see you haven't even tried.

How the game works is this:
Whenever you walk between a pair of yellow way points, you get a number of moves in your alternate form equal to your maximum moves. Your maximum moves increases by 50 every so often, when you beat rooms. Whenever you walk through a pair of differently colored way points, excluding the ones in your house, you gain a number of moves, how many you get is dependent on their colour. In your alternate form, you can fly across pit and water, and kill with your body. You cannot depress pressure plates.

Some hints for the first room:
Click here to view the secret text

03-29-2008 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Those two in the house aren't supposed to work. The wording of the scrolls is different, and if you really look at them you can see that they aren't supposed to work. But it is true that it's not obvious.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-29-2008 08:57 PM]
03-29-2008 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Val Unrich (+1)  
I think that a lot of "one" votes stem from the "auto-one" if you hit "R" on the Choose Hold screen. I didn't do it here, but I've done it on other holds, and Tahnan's done it as well.

Methinks the behavior needs a-changing.

03-30-2008 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Great hold! Very great, but with lots of frustration. What bothers me the most is the confusion, and some particulary tedius rooms. Basically what other players have said applies to me as well, so I'll talk some about the unecesarry confusion. When to take the extra boost on 4S2W, and why it matters when I take it. Where is the secret lab? How did the scoring in the scoring rooms work, and why didn't I get that information before I started playing?

All in all I'm very pleased, though. I look forward to see more from you.
03-31-2008 at 08:54 AM
talund
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
Really enjoying this hold but am stuck in the Great Divide. I have conquered every room north of the blue gate (at least I believe I have based on a comparison with the hints and solutions map of the Great Divide. Any ideas as to how I might continue on or if I am missing something. I am using 3.2.0.81

[Last edited by talund at 06-25-2008 09:17 PM]
06-25-2008 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
All I can suggest is to take another tour of all the rooms without using the Restore function. I have a feeling you restored back to before you conquered something at some point.

06-25-2008 at 10:00 PM
talund
Yep. That did it. Can't imagine how I missed that.
06-25-2008 at 10:46 PM
talund
Having now conquered Val Unrich - Wow. What a difficult, challenging and fun hold. I look forward to the next entry from Spitemaster.
06-26-2008 at 04:55 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
I played this hold a while ago (not to completion - it's hard!), and never did comment on it. This is one of the best uses of heavy-duty scripting on the Holds board, creating an entirely new take on efficiency in which moves must be conserved across rooms so that the player can return to safety after completing a room. Plus, it's among the better, and earlier, takes on swordless player roles and the need to keep enemies separated to permit safe attack. Highly recommended for those looking for either a challenge or a new experience!

09-23-2009 at 05:02 AM
Blood Maggot
Rank Points: 42
Is there a sequel to this hold? Just finished it, love it, but feels a little incomplete since it ends with a cliffhanger...
11-06-2009 at 06:08 PM
Someone Else
No. There was one planned, a while back, but I think that he's busy with another DROD project right now.
11-06-2009 at 07:16 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Finally, completed(and mastered) this hold!

This hold is genious. The concept is awesome - something like RPG in normal DROD style; and rooms themselves are great. Even rooms which are normally tedious and not so interesting work nicely for this hold, and there are some truly devious puzzles, too.

Checkpoints are placed well enough, too. I had to restore only 2-3 times in the whole hold.

Overall, a must-play hold for optimizers IMO. I haven't seen any other hold which encourages optimizing as well as this one.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-15-2010 02:57 AM]
09-15-2010 at 02:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
Apparently this hold is broken in the most recent version of Gateb, where it gets stuck in an infinite cut scene.

02-14-2013 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Where does it do this?

02-14-2013 at 05:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
It happens for me as soon as I start the hold. The fegundo talks to Beethro and then kills him and then it repeats. I'm pretty sure I have the latest version of Gateb and of this hold.

02-14-2013 at 06:17 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2383
I can confirm the behavior blorx is describing. I have 4.0.2.112 for Mac.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
02-26-2013 at 10:31 PM
The spitemaster
I've posted on bugs. The problem is a change in the behavior of killing Beethro NPC. (Which, as it turns out, you don't wan't to do anymore) This problem would be easily fixed by a little code change, which I would be glad to do if the behavior is in fact intended.

02-27-2013 at 05:44 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Val Unrich (Alternative/Shapeshifting)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com