Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Voice Acting and Custom graphics (All required information)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Voice Acting and Custom graphics (+5)  
As the Director of Voice and Graphics Finding (part of the Dept of Grand Constructions under our Evil Overlord and Master jbluestein), I'm in charge of this resource. The purpose is to connect people who want voice acting and graphics in their holds with people who are willing to provide it.

Please read this before you message me about it :)

For Those requiring Voice Acting

Absolute requirements:

Get every single person whose lines you use to give you permission to use them in your hold, or release them to the public domain. As the recorder, they are the copyright holder and even if they send them to you, you may not use them unless they say that you can.

Be reasonable about what you ask for - if there are any really big parts in your hold it might be best to do them yourself - giving someone 200 lines to read for you is perhaps a tiny bit too much :P

Make sure that the hold is finished or almost so - it's pointless us recording lines unless they're going to be used. Do the puzzles and layout first, voice acting should be the last thing not the first.

Important guidelines:

1) Make sure that you have the lines you want already written out and ready to send. If you're having a full story it helps to have a variety of parts, since some people will only want to record 4-5 lines whereas others are happy to record lots more. Include instructions for how you want a line to be read - it's not always clear from context.
e.g. how should "There's the abovegrounder!" be read? As if you're surprised to see him? As if you're angry at seeing him there? Or just as if you're pointing him out to someone?

2) Make sure to credit each and every voice actor in your hold somewhere visible. Perhaps a room with scrolls crediting everyone? Check what name they wish to be credited under, some are happy with real names, some prefer just their DROD forum ID. If you have modpoints, modding them up for their contribution is also a nice gesture :)

3) Don't be afraid to ask for re-recordings if the quality is bad (popping, scratching, clipping etc), but don't overdo asking for recordings if you don't like the way it's been read.

4) Have the means to do basic editing on soundfiles - simple stuff like clipping the silent end/beginning off a file, converting it to ogg. Audacity works well for this - see the Voice Actors section.

5) Remember, sometimes the voice actors will have decline your offer - they may be too busy, or have lost your voice or something.

Sample Voice Packs

There is a soundpack I have recorded below. It contains pretty much every single general exclamation I can think of (Yes, No, Get him etc), as well as a variety of utility sounds like the creature names, directions, numbers, etc.

As a bonus I've even thrown in a golem voice set :) Have fun, and please read the license carefully before you use them.

Hartleyhair has also recorded a pack of wubba sounds, located below. mrimer has recorded a pack of goblin sounds and exclamations located here

For Voice Actors

At the very least, you're going to require a working microphone plugged into your computer. One of the best programs to use is Audacity, which is available free and has ports for several systems. Record a second or two of blankness before you speak each line. This provides a sample of background noise which may then be removed. If you're using Audacity, highlight the part before any speech appears and use the Noise Removal option to load that noise profile. You only usually need a low level of noise removal to clear out the sample, don't go overboard or you'll flatten the sound.

Audacity is also good for subtle changes in the voice - increasing/decreasing the pitch or speed by 5% can make the voice sound drastically different, useful if you want to make it sound like two different people are talking. If the sound is too quiet, amplify it, but don't amplify any more than the initial amount recommended or you'll get unpleasant clipping. You can always amplify certain parts of it. Giving out the soundfiles as a .wav does mean they lose no quality, but the files are large. .ogg files may be good enough, see how your recordings go.

If you have a problem with clipping or popping sounds, one useful technique is to hold a piece of paper in front of the microphone and speak a little louder. This does flatten the sound, but it prevents the audio distortions that occur when blasts of air smack against the mike.

It also helps to have a sample of your voice readily available, so people know what you sound like before choosing which part they'd like to ask you for.

You need to give the person using your recordings permission to use them, as you are the copyright holder. Including the following phrase when you send them should be good enough

"I, YOURNAME as copyright holder of these recordings give THEIRNAME permission to edit and use them in their DROD hold and any derivative works thereof, provided I am given credit for their creation, in each and every work that they are used in"

If you wish to be included on the list of willing voice actors, PM me.

Custom graphics

Guidelines

Do not start asking or looking for custom graphics until your hold is finished or almost finished - get the puzzles and layout done first. Then ask for the graphics.

Making custom graphics requires skill and time, and you will probably not receive the result as quickly as for voice acting. Modifications are also more difficult, so be prepared to accept what you receive, though minor changes can be done.

Graphics information

PNG is probably the best format to use, as it is lossless and preserves colours and transparency.

Custom avatars for characters are 130x164.

Custom sprites for characters are 22x22. To make a character facing all 8 directions, make a 176x22 image. Each 22x22 section is one direction the character faces, starting upwards and rotating clockwise. Should you wish a second frame of animation, it is added directly below the first (176x44 image).

All tiles for DROD are 22x22, consider this when making image floors/walls/etc.

To get transparency, there are two methods. Either include transparency in the PNG itself (which causes some problems when darkness is applied) or use grey as a background. The exact grey needed is Hex C0C0C0 (Red 192, Green 192, Blue 192). In the 2.x engine, for the program to recognise this as transparent, at least one corner pixel must be this colour too. In 3.x this is no longer the case, C0C0C0 is always transparent.

If you want to be listed as an artist in this information repository, please contact me.

Other

You may also be able to find soundfiles and graphics on the net. It's not a good idea to use them unless you can be sure of their licensing/copyright status - e.g. you may be able to find some useful stuff in Creative Commons archives, make sure to read the licenses very very carefully to see what the conditions are.

Don't be afraid to ask your non-DROD friends to do recordings and graphics for you as well, we of the DROD forum are not the only repository of talent around. Just make sure to get their copyright permission.

Finally, don't be afraid to do graphics and sound recordings yourself! Share them with the group.

If you need any more help, just ask me.

Current Willing graphical artists

vittro - does free avatars and tiles. PM him if needed.
Calamarain - Does custom avatars on rare occasions, contact for more details. Examples of work here and here
Jason - does custom tiles and occasional portraits. An example of his tiles is
Click here to view the secret text

Samuel - Avatar artist, contact him for details.
Monkey - Does tiles and sprites.

Current Willing voice actors

Calamarain - Experienced voice actor, male, British. Capable of multiple different voices. Did several different voices in the Witherwood Trilogy.
Samuel - Male. High voice. Does several accents. Did the Technician in Below Witherwood.
Znirk - Male, deep voice, slightly accented.
Elfstone - Female, scottish accent. Played the Gossip in TCB amongst other roles.
Chaco - Male, slightly accented. Did guard voices in Below Witherwood, and has experience in some Smitemaster's Selections.
mrimer - Male. Capable of normal, deep and goblinlike voices, but relatively busy. Did various voices in JtRH, SmS issues, and TCB.
coppro - Male. Capable of a wide array of voices. Played Halph in TCB.
Znirk - Male, slightly accented. Played the Priest and the guards in Witherwood Castle. Will sing if necessary.
krammer - Male. Capable of a goblin voice, all rounder.
Anson - High voice.
Abbyzzmal - did a large array of voices in JtRH and TCB, as well as in Frogs and Mice.
skell - Male with a slight arabic accent.
Kyle10707 - Child's voice.
Ezlo - American, capable of a few accents.
The Spitemaster - American, normal voice.
Pneh - Wide variety of voices, unusual accent.

[Last edited by calamarain at 05-09-2009 11:25 PM]
09-15-2007 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Voice Acting and Custom graphics (+1)  
calamarain wrote:
For DROD to recognise this as transparent, the top left pixel must be this colour too.
This is not quite true. In JtRH (the 2.x engine), it is required that at least one corner is this colour for DROD to recognize this gray as transparent. However, in 3.x this is no longer the case - DROD will recognize 0xC0C0C0 as transparent in all cases, whether a corner pixel is this colour or not.

09-15-2007 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
icon Re: Voice Acting and Custom graphics (0)  
I'll Sing Up i'm great at voice acting

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
09-15-2007 at 04:51 PM
calamarain

File: Calamarain soundpack.zip (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 113 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Voice Acting and Custom graphics (+5)  
OK, here is a great big pack of sounds that you may use in your holds.

I, Roger Barnett (Calamarain) as copyright holder of these recordings do give you, the members of the DROD forum permission to edit and use these in DROD holds only, provided I am given full credit for their creation. Credit me in the hold somewhere.

The pack contains pretty much all the utility sounds I can think of. It's divided into sections

Creature Names - pretty obvious. The names of the creatures (in plural form)
Directions - Things like "North", "Eastwards" "Downstairs"
General Statements - Things like "Yes", "I don't think so", "Attack!"
Numbers - The numbers 0-10, all the tens up to 100, and a few other misc ones.
Praise and Criticism - Things like "Well done", "Superb", "Terrible."
Golem Voice - Exactly what it sounds like, a series of general golem things to say in a golem voice.

09-15-2007 at 07:48 PM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Darn. No .oggs for me, I'm a Mac user...

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 09-15-2007 08:03 PM]
09-15-2007 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
hartleyhair wrote:
There are several free converters available, as well as programs that can play oggs on the mac. VLC media player is one example of a program that can play oggs on the mac.

09-15-2007 at 08:08 PM
hartleyhair
Wow. Thanks.

09-15-2007 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
hartleyhair wrote:

so am I! :) and, inspite of thinking that 'oggs' are what one makes 'emlettes' with, (all right, it's not very funny) I've recorded 3 different voices for DROD.

I use Audacity, which is free to download and very straightforward to use. You'll find it HERE

09-16-2007 at 08:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
calamarain wrote:

Elfstone - Female, welsh accent. Played the Gossip in TCB

It's Scottish actually! :D

09-16-2007 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair

File: Wubba Sounds.zip (139.3 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
License: Public Domain
Elfstone wrote:
hartleyhair wrote:

so am I! :) and, inspite of thinking that 'oggs' are what one makes 'emlettes' with, (all right, it's not very funny) I've recorded 3 different voices for DROD.

I use Audacity, which is free to download and very straightforward to use. You'll find it HERE

Thanks for the tip, great program!

Here's my contribution, Wubba Sounds.

Why Wubba Sounds, you ask?

Well, I'm doing a Hold called A Wubba's Quest. In it, I decided to include some Wubba Sounds... and then I thought, 'Would anybody else like to use these?', and the honest answer was 'No', but there might be somebody out there, yearning for a Wubba Sound...

So:

I, Hartleyhair, as copyright holder of these recordings do give you, the members of the DROD forum permission to edit and use these in... anything, really. I don't really mind not being credited (though it would be nice), but you may not claim to have made them.

Edit: Added Angry, Confused and Scared Wubba Sounds.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 09-16-2007 12:16 PM]
09-16-2007 at 09:41 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
I think you don't even need to include that sentence if the licence is "Public domain" ;) .

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 09-16-2007 09:47 AM]
09-16-2007 at 09:46 AM
hartleyhair
Dex Stewart wrote:
I think you don't even need to include that sentence if the licence is "Public domain" ;) .

Ah well, it looks cool.

09-16-2007 at 09:54 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Not that it matters too much for our purposes, but mrimer also played an Aumtlich.

09-16-2007 at 04:39 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I hereby sign up as a potential voice actor.

Just for the record (my résumé :P), I had the following voices in TCB (spoilers):

09-19-2007 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
We've had a lot of interest so far.

Anyone else interested in being listed as a voice actor, or a graphics artist? Let me know.

09-20-2007 at 02:28 PM
Anson
Rank Points: 67

File: Example.JPG (896 bytes)
Downloaded 128 times.
I would like to sign up as a graphic artist and a Voice actor, but if im a voice actor, i need to find out how to use my camara's microphone, as my PC cam has a Microphone, Although i need to find how it works.
An Example of my artwork,
You see i can make very small things, this is a basic cube, i was actaully able to draw a citizen.
So i Sign up to be a Graphic Artist!

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.

10-06-2007 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Anson wrote:
I would like to sign up as a graphic artist and a Voice actor, but if im a voice actor, i need to find out how to use my camara's microphone, as my PC cam has a Microphone, Although i need to find how it works.
An Example of my artwork,
You see i can make very small things, this is a basic cube, i was actaully able to draw a citizen.
So i Sign up to be a Graphic Artist!
Can we verify that you can get your microphone working and that it records at a reasonable quality before you get signed up as a voice actor?

Also, can we see the drawing of the citizen?

10-06-2007 at 03:02 AM
Anson

File: Computer Made.bmp (62.8 KB)
Downloaded 146 times.
Yeah, but it was my first one, made by computer. i can do better with some paper and pen.

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.

10-06-2007 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Anson wrote:
Yeah, but it was my first one, made by computer. i can do better with some paper and pen.
Erm... that's just a scribble?

10-06-2007 at 03:16 AM
Anson
OT:
Fail to get on Voice acting and grahpics artist team : Check

10-06-2007 at 03:35 AM
calamarain
Anson wrote:
OT:
Fail to get on Voice acting and grahpics artist team : Check
Not true. If your microphone works OK and you can record without too much background noise there's no reason why you're not on the voice acting list.

10-06-2007 at 03:39 AM
Anson
Ok, i got it done, but i cant record, how do i record?

10-06-2007 at 03:47 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Could you specify what you're doing, and at what point it doesn't work?

-Noah

My stuff:

10-06-2007 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Anson
I got the built in microphone working, just i need to know how to record

10-06-2007 at 06:38 AM
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
What program are you using, then we can help out.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
10-06-2007 at 06:46 AM
Ed Crash
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
Anson wrote:
Do you have Realtek HD Audio Manager?

10-06-2007 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Anson wrote:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
10-06-2007 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Anson
What happens now? how do i record? i've got the program running, im running it right now

10-06-2007 at 07:23 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Tell Audacity to record from this microphone, press the record button in Audacity, talk into the mic, save the output. It's very impossible to give specific instructions re: how to tell Audacity to record from this microphone without knowing exactly what it is and how it's connected to the computer.

10-06-2007 at 09:11 AM
Anson
Ah well, the PC camara's Microphone broke when you told me that, i 'll get it fixed........ soon

10-06-2007 at 09:58 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Voice Acting and Custom graphics (All required information)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com