Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How do you kill slayers? (and how can they be manoeuvred?)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Znirk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 613
IP: Logged
icon Re: How do you kill slayers? (0)  
Briareos wrote:
Yellow_Mage wrote:
My mind just exploded of the thought of a Slayer that has a wisp you can't step on.
So what happens when the wisp steps on you, as the normal wisp does?
"In Russia ..."
05-04-2007 at 09:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Briareos wrote:
Yellow_Mage wrote:
My mind just exploded of the thought of a Slayer that has a wisp you can't step on.
So what happens when the wisp steps on you, as the normal wisp does?

*splat*?

That's what would trigger the chasm. Every part of the wisp other than that on you would become impassable until the chasm maker had traversed it.

05-04-2007 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but with the the latest DROD you can kill any slayer with just a speed potion. The idea bieng you get in front of one another (sword to sword) ,get on a turn where he cannot move, move once to the left of him and turn clockwise for the finishing blow.

In theory you could take on entire armies of slayers by doing this.

05-04-2007 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Tombot wrote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but with the the latest DROD you can kill any slayer with just a speed potion. The idea bieng you get in front of one another (sword to sword) ,get on a turn where he cannot move, move once to the left of him and turn clockwise for the finishing blow.

Cue hundreds of architects laughing maniacally...

05-04-2007 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Tombot wrote:

I remember a Hold where you battle 20+ slayers with one Speed Potion.
I totally forgot what it was though.

-Insane
05-05-2007 at 01:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: How do you kill slayers? (+1)  
Insane wrote
I remember a Hold where you battle 20+ slayers with one Speed Potion.
I totally forgot what it was though.

-Insane

That rather puts me in mind of the Matrix. Mr Budkin vs an army of Agent 39th's... You can just see it :) :cool

05-07-2007 at 03:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bodkin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
There's another hold – Slayer Killing Hold.hold – by Timo. It's larger than the practice rooms that have been posted so far. Clever scripting, nice use of invisibility potions and tunnels.

IMO it suffers from long passages to get to orbs, processes that have to be repeated when you go back through a room, too much tar etc. But, again IMO, some good slayer things.

[Last edited by bodkin at 05-08-2007 12:59 AM]
05-08-2007 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
bodkin wrote:
IMO it suffers from long passages to get to orbs, processes that have to be repeated when you go back through a room, too much tar etc. But, again IMO, some good slayer things.

Those passages were there to make sure that you had to kill the slayer (I was a bit unexperienced in scripting), and I actually never got any comments about those processes and too much tar, so I never changed something about it. I just wanted to show the different ways to kill slayers.

05-08-2007 at 09:10 PM
bodkin
Timo, you show slayer killing very well. And the scripting is good, I'm surprised it was your first go. (I wouldn't know how to start.) Especially when you go back into a room that had been filled with guards, and now it has goblins!

I've just posted a simple beginners' hold, based on Slayer movement. In particular the 4x4 square move. (It's in the Architecture section:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15767)
Beethro pushes the slayer into snakes, like a goblin. It's the first thing I've built, I've loved doing it. I think I like simple things best. Platforms over pits, easy tasks. (So don't listen to my opinions!)

It is a problem isn't it, making a reason for having to kill the slayer, rather than run round him.

--------------------------------

Timo has posted two demos of killing the slayer using force arrows. See the same address as above. One of them he reckons is completely new.

[Last edited by bodkin at 05-11-2007 01:57 PM]
05-08-2007 at 10:59 PM
bodkin

File: Invisibility and the Slayer.hold (2 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain

"Slayer AI and invisibility potions" (06-16-2006) has a description of how to attack the slayer with an invisibility potion. And a good practice room – "Invisibility and the Slayer.hold" – by Insane that has an additional bomb room. (Attached here)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11017&page=0

(Also: New Slayer AI (06-16-2006)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15741&page=0
asked for a new slayer now his weaknesses are being exposed. Please don't.)

----------------

And there is a full Drod hold (not an introduction/practice room) – The Hunt, by Mazer – in Architecture. Specifically about slayer moves.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15128&page=0
It's in process of being built. IMO– real understanding of the way the slayer moves and (hard) use of the wisp. Interesting slayer behaviour with swordless Beethro. (The slayer doesn't change direction when he's swordless, there's a good trapdoor puzzle based on this.) I haven't finished it yet, there's probably more.

[Last edited by bodkin at 05-11-2007 02:35 PM]
05-11-2007 at 02:31 PM
bodkin
This thread seems to have worn itself out, and I've stopped looking for old threads on slayers. (Although it's likely there are still some good things out there.) To finish it off I've just added more ways of how to push the slayer around (back on page 1), for when this comes up again.

[Last edited by bodkin at 05-16-2007 02:04 PM]
05-16-2007 at 02:03 PM
bodkin

More ways of killing the slayer:

Yellow Mage found a new way with a two-by-one wall in the middle of the room. See "To kill a slayer.hold"
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=13815
(February 20th 2007)
There's a demo of how to do it.

The same hold has other ingenious ways, to do with orthoginal squares and arrows. I don't understand them yet, and sadly there are no more demos so I'm on my own.

06-25-2007 at 08:53 PM
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
The same hold has other ingenious ways, to do with orthoginal squares and arrows. I don't understand them yet, and sadly there are no more demos so I'm on my own.

Actually, it does contain demos for those rooms as well... click on "Display all demos in level" after you import the file and you should see them.

The basic idea behind the ortho squares and force arrows methods seems to be (this doesn't include a step by step, but does have hints):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by bwross at 06-26-2007 02:45 AM]
06-26-2007 at 02:45 AM
bodkin

many thanks bwross
06-26-2007 at 08:08 AM
junglejane
Rank Points: 55
Doom wrote:
Here's another Slayer kill I've not seen anyone talk about before. Actually, I only learned it after playing a certain post-mastery room in TCB when I did it completely by pure luck. But now that I went through my demos again, it became very simple and logical.

The only requirement is a bomb at a relatively open position. Get the Slayer next to it and set the sword orientations correctly. The bomb will prevent the Slayer from making a critical defensive move, and you can get to his side, at which point it's too late to turn...

Attached an example hold showing a small example of this. There's a demo in the title screen.

Going through JtRH someday and finding all possible Slayer kills sounds like a fun little time-waster :) They don't seem so tricky anymore, that's for sure.

[edit:] Just did the last room of JtRH. That was surprisingly *very* easy now. Seems like a lot of Slayer rooms are trivial with the correct knowledge, and designing around them will be much harder than originally when it's often easy to just kill them... A pity it's too late to change the rules.

I have tried all the manipulations I can manage, that are shown in this thread. I strangely can't get into a position to slay a slayer. None of these directions actually say how to do that. "Get the Slayer next to it(a bomb) and set the sword orientations correctly." This sounds like a manuever that would be good for this room, but again I don't seem to be able to figure out 'correct sword orientations". I tried downloading the hold demo, but am unable to open it, because it says Hold file. I could use help in how to go about opening it, please. Actuallly any kind of help would be helpful.

And How and Where and Who..... Rudyard Kipling
06-28-2007 at 08:17 PM
bwross
Rank Points: 376
junglejane wrote:
I tried downloading the hold demo, but am unable to open it, because it says Hold file. I could use help in how to go about opening it, please. Actuallly any kind of help would be helpful.

That's because it is a hold so you can try it out for yourself. The demo is available by the "Watch Demo" menu item on the title screen. It will certainly show you one way that can be used in that room.
06-28-2007 at 09:01 PM
junglejane
bwross wrote:
junglejane wrote:
I tried downloading the hold demo, but am unable to open it, because it says Hold file. I could use help in how to go about opening it, please. Actuallly any kind of help would be helpful.

That's because it is a hold so you can try it out for yourself. The demo is available by the "Watch Demo" menu item on the title screen. It will certainly show you one way that can be used in that room.

Thank you for your response, but I am still unable to view the Hold file. I tried 'watch demo' on the title screen and I only have 4 demos there and this isn't one of them. I can see it listed in my TCB program file, but have no idea what program opens it. Under 'build levels' it comes up as a hold, but it just sits there. No movement.

06-28-2007 at 10:17 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
It sounds like you're mistaking title screen (the main menu that opens when you start DROD) for the in-game demo screen.

What you have to do, is to select the hold in the change location menu, and backtrack to the first screen, and click the "Watch Demo" option that should now be usable.
06-28-2007 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
junglejane
Doom wrote:
It sounds like you're mistaking title screen (the main menu that opens when you start DROD) for the in-game demo screen.

What you have to do, is to select the hold in the change location menu, and backtrack to the first screen, and click the "Watch Demo" option that should now be usable.

I have a real mental block on this, I believe. I went to the 'change location' and found the hold listed, but there was no Watch demo that I could find. A picture comes up of the duel, but no movement. When I click on the selection "The Duel" it throws me back to the main menu. If I click on Import, it states that hold is installed but ignored. I am giving up on this, :weep, since I figured out on my own how to slay those hateful slayers.:w00t

Thanks to both of you for trying to help.

06-29-2007 at 06:13 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
The Watch Demo Button is in the *main* menu. The one where you can also click on "Play game", "Change settings", "Exit" and so on.
06-29-2007 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
junglejane
Dex Stewart wrote:
The Watch Demo Button is in the *main* menu. The one where you can also click on "Play game", "Change settings", "Exit" and so on.

That 'watch demo' does not show the downloaded Hold. I tried the F6 button and could only bring up the Undercity areas that I had conquered. The Duel Hold that I downloaded from Caravel is not letting me view because I have never been in that area, I believe.

I would like to know if anyone else has successfully watched that Hold demo. If so, what file did you download it to. It is a .hold execution, not a .demo.

06-29-2007 at 07:32 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: How do you kill slayers? (+2)  
Okay, full instructions.

1) Select Play Game.
2) Select Change Location.
3) Select the Hold you downloaded and hit Okay.
4) Select Back to Main Menu.
5) Select Watch Demo.

Watch Demo is the fourth option in the menu that has the following options: Play Game, Change Player, Change Settings, Watch Demo, Build Levels, Get Help, Quit. If you don't see any of those options, you're in the wrong menu.
06-29-2007 at 07:35 PM
junglejane
TFMurphy wrote:
Okay, full instructions.

1) Select Play Game.
2) Select Change Location.
3) Select the Hold you downloaded and hit Okay.
4) Select Back to Main Menu.
5) Select Watch Demo.

Watch Demo is the fourth option in the menu that has the following options: Play Game, Change Player, Change Settings, Watch Demo, Build Levels, Get Help, Quit. If you don't see any of those options, you're in the wrong menu.
Thank you so much!!!! It worked!!! I had done everything right up until 4). When I hit Okay and it threw me back to the menu, I though I had lost it. For your trouble I have given you one of my hard to come by points. You earned it.

06-29-2007 at 09:36 PM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
bwross wrote:

Actually, it does contain demos for those rooms as well... click on "Display all demos in level" after you import the file and you should see them.

The basic idea behind the ortho squares and force arrows methods seems to be (this doesn't include a step by step, but does have hints):

Oh ya, I haven't had much time to analysis it properly...

07-01-2007 at 11:41 PM
viditama
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Here's something I've been working on for submission to the site....

Due to the rise of Empire influence throughout the Eighth, it has been more and more common for architects to call into use the most deadly of the Empires weapons, The Slayer.

Most experienced delvers have stumbled across one of these foes at least once, and the usual response is to run away as quickly as possible.

The news is not all bad though, some of our highest ranked delvers have devoted considerable time to studying these ruthless killers. So I am now happy to present their findings on how to kill a slayer.

Mimics and Decoys
A well placed potion can work wonders against a slayer and catch him off guard. For maximum enjoyment, why not let the slayer get close to you before hitting him from behind with a decoy. Look him in the eyes!!

Bombs
This is another well known slayer weakness that allows you to use his wisp against him. If a slayer is stupid enough to come after you in a room with bombs, then he deserves to be blown up. The tried and tested way to do this is to stand next to a bomb and wait for his wisp to get within the blast radius of the bomb (5 tiles), then move towards the fuse. From here on it is a matter of timing. Try to measure how long the fuse is against the distance of the wisp from the blast radius. A word of warning though, always check for other bombs in the room, too many young delvers have been lost after blowing themselves up.

Tunnels
They said it couldn't be done, but our experts found a way to stab a slayer. As before, we will use his wisp against him. Where the wisp goes, the slayer is sure to follow, now if this means the slayer will walk past a tunnel unguarded, who are we to argue. Take advantage of this weakness by jumping into the connecting tunnel and striking him from behind when he least expects it.

One on One
Here it is, the ultimate slayer kill. Many of our toughest delvers were lost trying to bring this secret to the masses, but they have made it. The slayer has one more weakness that we should be willing to exploit. If conditions are just right in a room we can back the slayer into a wall and kill him face to face. Let me demonstrate....

Firstly, try to manouver the slayer next to a wall
     /  \    w
    b    s  ww
wwwwwwwwwwwwww

w - wall
b - Beethro
s - Slayer

The slayer is now at his most vulnerable. As you approach him he will flee towards the trap.
          \ 
           /sw
          b ww
wwwwwwwwwwwwww

And you have him!

Use this information wisely. The Empire is aware of our efforts and is always looking for ways to undo us.

Steve.

ok....im in
the first position
/ \ w
b s ww
wwwwwwwwwwwwww

this position.
wat am i supposed to do?

[Last edited by viditama at 07-16-2009 11:18 PM]
07-16-2009 at 11:16 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
viditama wrote:
ok....im in
the first position
      /  \   w
     b    s ww
wwwwwwwwwwwwww

this position.
wat am i supposed to do?
When you're posting, you can use the "#" button above the box where you type your message to use characters with constant widths. If I've inserted the "#" correctly into your post, you need to step NE, SE, and then E until the slayer is dead.

If you really meant this:
        /\   w
       b  s ww
wwwwwwwwwwwwww
Then just move Beethro east until the slayer is dead.
07-16-2009 at 11:34 PM
Timo006

File: Slayer vs Slayer.hold (916 bytes)
Downloaded 53 times.
bodkin wrote:
Timo, you show slayer killing very well. And the scripting is good, I'm surprised it was your first go. (I wouldn't know how to start.) Especially when you go back into a room that had been filled with guards, and now it has goblins!

Thanks for the compliment, Bodkin!

On an other note, I've once seen a method to kill a Slayer while using the player role of a Slayer (can't remember where, though). Here included is a simple example hold, I'll post the demo in a few minutes.

07-17-2009 at 04:05 PM
Timo006

File: SvS The Battle The Entrance.demo (615 bytes)
Downloaded 55 times.
Here is the demo.

07-17-2009 at 04:06 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How do you kill slayers? (and how can they be manoeuvred?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com