Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Sandtrap (A trek through a maze with puzzles caught in the mix. )
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.9/10 (18 votes)
σ 0.94
Author Name:Tom
Submitted By:tokyokid
Hold Name:Sandtrap
Theme:A trek through a maze with puzzles caught in the mix.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:19
Number of Monsters:209
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Sandtrap.hold (14.3 KB)
Downloaded 1409 times.
License: Other
icon Sandtrap  
A trek throuhg a maze with puzzles in the mix!
03-10-2007 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Sandtrap (+1)  
Some interesting stuff in here, though I must admit some of the maze-wandering got a little dull.

Also--though this isn't the only recent hold guilty of this, it kept bothering me here: there's a reason the editor has a "show errors" checkbox. It's quite handy for indicating where the edge of a room is blocked by, say, an obstacle in the next room. I really hate it when I try to exit a room and nothing happens (especially since I'm not sure whether it's Beethro being blocked, or the next room just taking a long time to load).
03-11-2007 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Sandtrap (0)  
Tahnan wrote:
I really hate it when I try to exit a room and nothing happens (especially since I'm not sure whether it's Beethro being blocked, or the next room just taking a long time to load).
Wonder no more!

03-11-2007 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Sandtrap (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
Wonder no more!
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. And I do check the eys. All the same, having an apparent exit blocked is a serious annoyance. (Particularly from an optimizer's point of view, I should note, where it means an unexpected extra move when I try to leave. But, really, from any point of view it's annoying.)
03-12-2007 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bobkberg
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
I certainly enjoyed it. Of course, as I do with all mazes, I mapped it out so that I could see the "big picture".

As for whether or not I liked the puzzle or the mazes better, that's hard to say.

I can say that the difficult was about right for me. Many of the holds I've played, I've just given up on after several hours on one room with no progress.

Thanks for creating it!!

Bob

03-22-2007 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
I pulled this hold randomly out of my lengthy "unplayed" list yesterday. It's quite nice, especially for those new to DROD or generally not willing to crank through difficult rooms. Individual rooms fall fairly easily and are neither dependent on obscure tricks and fancy footwork nor especially memorable to the experienced player; I get the sense that the hold may be rife with unintended solutions, but at this level of difficulty it's not a huge issue.

The real challenge of the hold comes from navigating a tricky layout with multiple entrances and bottlenecks; mazes seem not to be well-liked in these parts, but this one is done well and not overly dependent on tedious navigation. Plus, it's well decorated.

Well worth playing. It's not on the short list of classic holds, but it's certainly fun and fits well into the decently polished but not impossible category that is generally considered to be in short supply.

09-24-2009 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
This hold was okay. Some of the puzzles were entertaining, none were difficult or mind-bending and the solution kind of fell out naturally. Parts of the maze were interesting but mostly it felt like I was going to one side of the hold to find the passage to get to the other side, especially for optimizing there was a lot of backtracking and squirming your way through obstacles to get from one side of the hold to the other. For that reason I can't say it was one of the most fun holds I've played.

It felt very "messy" (perhaps like a sandbox) and it was difficult to weave your way through lots of rocks or to see where the "maze" lined up with an adjacent room. And I agree with Tahnan: I often found myself going to an edge and apparently bumping some unseen obstacle in the next room.

09-06-2011 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Sandtrap (A trek through a maze with puzzles caught in the mix. ) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com