Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Somebody kick the spider (Seems to be down.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged
icon Somebody kick the spider (+1)  
284 demos in the queue!

10-21-2015 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
icon Re: Somebody kick the spider (+1)  
All cleared. Thanks!

10-22-2015 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
Was gonna make a new thread but thought repurposing an old one would do just as well.

The RPG Spider has died again. Someone turn on the seeding beacon.
08-17-2016 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Somebody kick the spider (0)  
Thanks for reporting this. Did it get fixed?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-19-2016 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Yes
09-19-2016 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
The spider has been down for at least half a day. 392 unverified demos.
09-24-2016 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Spider is slacking off again

Down for a couple of days now. Up to 500+ unverified demos.

edit: Fixed!

[Last edited by Doom at 04-21-2017 07:02 PM]
04-19-2017 at 10:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Apparently it's been down for half a day or so. Only 60+ unverified demos. Still might be good to give it a swift kick.

12-02-2017 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
The RPG Spider is down again.
01-27-2018 at 11:25 AM
kieranmillar
The RPG Spider is dead.

Perhaps it needs a way to auto-restart it every week or something.
03-23-2018 at 06:56 PM
kieranmillar
kieranmillar wrote:
07-23-2018 at 09:40 PM
maryfink
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O

07-26-2018 at 04:01 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
162 demos in the queue, I think the spider may be down again.
08-13-2018 at 10:12 PM
kieranmillar
kieranmillar wrote:
kieranmillar wrote:
08-30-2018 at 07:28 AM
Insoluble
Looks like the spider took some time off to ring in the new year. 255 demos in the queue.

12-28-2018 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
This may be a continuation of the previous spider down alert, but there are currently over 6000 demos in the queue.

01-24-2019 at 02:52 PM
Insoluble
Yep, still the same outage. The spider has been down for about a month now. Hopefully everything is okay in DRODland? I think the folks in charge are aware of the issue at least?

01-24-2019 at 04:11 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Somebody kick the spider (+2)  
One of the key benefits of being a CaravelNet member is being able to compete on scores and challenges.

Not to be a Pessimistic Petunia, but it’s really quite unfortunate how long it’s taking to fix this. Schik has been away from the site a while, which probably explains things.

Is no one at Caravel able to restart the spider besides Schik?

Was there a falling-out of some kind between Schik and another team member?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 01-29-2019 01:47 AM]
01-29-2019 at 01:45 AM
mrimer
icon Re: Somebody kick the spider (+5)  
I agree it would be good to get the spider going again, as a core component of CaravelNet service. I believe Schik runs the spider on a personal computer. I'm unaware of any issues between any team members. I'm assuming Schik is simply busy with other issues at present. I'll reach out to him about it.

01-29-2019 at 05:43 AM
disoriented
Hi mrimer,

Have you heard back about this issue?

Thanks!

02-03-2019 at 09:29 PM
mrimer
disoriented wrote:
Hi mrimer,

Have you heard back about this issue?

Thanks!
I did reach out to Matt via email a week ago. I haven't heard back.

02-04-2019 at 01:47 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Is there a backup plan?

02-04-2019 at 09:20 PM
mrimer
Dischorran wrote:
Is there a backup plan?
Unfortunately, no. It seemed that Matt really wanted to own the operation of the CaravelNet components.

02-06-2019 at 02:35 AM
disoriented
This is really, really unfortunate.

02-06-2019 at 04:02 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
mrimer wrote:
It seemed that Matt really wanted to own the operation of the CaravelNet components.
I don't think it's a fair assessment of Matt's approach to Caravel Net, at least not in my experience working with him, even before we became friends. Matt always cared a lot about the quality of the work done on the backend, and over the years that I worked on the forum and other components he never had any problems delegating stuff to others, provided they were serious about helping and weren't planning to jump the ship the second they are expected to actually do something.

So to the best of my knowledge it wasn't that he wanted to own the operation of CaravelNet but rather no one, to the best of my knowledge, ever suggested to take over those tasks or serve as a backup.

02-06-2019 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Oh, pardon if I misspoke. You're exactly right. I appreciate you pointing those things out. It's not my intent to mischaracterize Matt's approach to CaravelNet. I completely agree Matt is passionate about the quality of his work, in all areas, and it's always been a pleasure to collaborate with him on all the projects we've worked on together.

I'm not saying Matt doesn't want to delegate. What I meant to describe, and apparently did so poorly, is that I did briefly discuss the possibility of sharing the maintenance and execution of the spider at a couple points, some years back, and at the time I recall Matt indicating he wanted to keep running it himself. I was fine to let him do that, because he had a proven track record and seemed in earnest. It's possible I'm misremembering, and it's also possible Matt won't even remember having the conversation, because it was so brief.

I'm not saying that's Matt's approach or intent, and I apologize if I came across as over-generalizing. Matt hasn't raised the subject of changing any roles or responsibilities. I'm not trying to read anything into the situation here, because I don't know anything other than that the spider is offline for about a month. I expect he's just busy or has something urgent to deal with.

Would you be interested in reaching out to Matt to see what the situation is?

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-06-2019 07:44 PM]
02-06-2019 at 07:41 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Somebody kick the spider (+9)  
So, the spiders. Back in late December I had a catastrophic hard drive failure. Somehow, the source code for the spiders never made it into our code repository. I lost everything. I don't even have a dev environment that can build DROD at the moment.

My personal life and work life have been very chaotic lately. That, combined with the feeling that DROD was basically abandoned, has made it hard for me to find time or motivation to work on recreating spiders. I'm afraid I don't have a quick fix. Well, or a slow fix. I'm going to have to lean on Mike here and see if he can find a way to get things working.

02-09-2019 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Somebody kick the spider (+6)  
Thanks for the update, Matt!

Sorry to hear you lost everything on this computer. Also sorry to hear about the chaos in your life. Hope you're able to get things back in order soon.

While I'm personally no longer actively involved in DROD development, I don't feel DROD is abandoned. For instance, I'm still paying for and maintaining the Caravel server and web domain, which keeps this amazing forum online and all our other site resources. While it's not a ton of money, it's not exactly cheap either. Also, we continue to provide CaravelNet services to our loyal customers, who help support the site through paid CaravelNet memberships. I would like us to keep providing these services while DROD has fans and subscribers who want to be here, use these services and support the site. If you'd like to handle things a different way, please reach out to me with your thoughts and plans ahead of time so that I can be aware of them and plan for any changes in operations.

I'll see whether I can find a copy of the spider source code that you may have provided me at some point. I share others' hopes that we can get it up and running again.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-09-2019 10:23 PM]
02-09-2019 at 10:09 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
The spider is working again! Unverified demos are down to about 4000 (they went over 10000 earlier) and the challenge page is up-to-date for me. I'm also seeing verification icons for a few scores in Floating Friendship Facility, so it's not simply getting that by discarding demos.

I don't know exactly what you guys did, but much thanks to everyone involved in getting this working again.
02-17-2019 at 12:37 AM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Somebody kick the spider (-1)  
Let that be a lesson to anyone who maintains a web service. Use multiple servers.

02-17-2019 at 01:01 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Somebody kick the spider (Seems to be down.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com