Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Simplicity (Minimalistic, simple looking hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (38 votes)
σ 1.44
Author Name:Tim
Submitted By:Tim
Hold Name:Simplicity
Theme:Minimalistic, simple looking hold
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:10
Number of Monsters:44
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Simplicity.hold (3.9 KB)
Downloaded 2570 times.
License: Other
icon Simplicity  
This is my first hold. 44 Roaches in 10 Rooms. Hope you like it.
08-21-2004 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Roach King
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: Simplicity (0)  
Any hints for 1N please?

08-23-2004 at 05:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Simplicity (+1)  
hint 1
Click here to view the secret text

hint 2

08-23-2004 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
manavilai
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
The Rooms were good.
I specially liked twice north twice east.
and the thrice north and twice east.

cheers :|

11-06-2004 at 08:09 PM
minhtuan
Rank Points: 22
Great hold design. This hold does not make me qw a lot :D. . :thumbsup
04-25-2005 at 10:15 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Good puzzles.
2N,2E was my fav also.
:thumbsup

05-04-2005 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I very much enjoyed this. For a hold with very few monsters, it sure can be a thinker at times.

I was proudest of myself for figuring out the solution to 3N2E, but all of the puzzles were good. (Well, I thought that 3N3E was a little easy -- solved it in about 10 seconds just by looking at it).

I give it an 8 with 6 brains of difficulty. I am reinvigorated for solving City of Queens and Penthouse now!

Josh

06-26-2006 at 08:00 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Thanks Jbluestein! You got me up on their feet and I bashed some more at 3N 2E. At long last the solution dawned on me (right as I was typing up my thought pattern for that room), and I got it. Truly, I ought to congratulate some more and...

Wait, that was the Holds forum. My vote is an 8 and 6,5 brains (some challenging rooms in there).

3N 2E is now my favourite of the lot, now that I've stopped cursing, with 2N 2E close behind (how's that for originality?). I've found 1N 1E to be the weakest room in the hold, since its solution is fairly obvious and involves moving around in a repetitive pattern (I gather the entrance and the exit are intended to be straightforward).
06-26-2006 at 09:52 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
I finally got around to playing this. The name fits quite well - nice, basic roach puzzles that require some thought without making the player wade through hordes of roaches or work out an arbitrary 38-move sequence by trial and error. Several of the puzzles, especially 3N2E, are particularly elegantly designed to make the obvious solution not quite work (along with the obvious adjustment to the obvious solution, and the next adjustment, and on and on...). It makes for a nice break after beating one's head against complicated TCB-era holds.

03-29-2009 at 12:06 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Very enjoyable hold. I had some tough times (Most notably 1N2E which took me 15 minutes to figure out, and 2N2E to which solution I discovered by pure accident) but generally it was pretty easy, as I did not have to use H&S board even once! Though I have to say that 3N3E was far too easy.

Fun but not very difficult (fortunately) :).

05-26-2009 at 06:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Simplicity (+2)  
So I saw the subtitle and decided I would spend a while playing this –

I really liked the puzzles and solutions in general, especially because of the way the style made the architect’s attention and consideration to the nuances of each puzzle very clear to me, something which I’ve never seen before (though I don’t play many user-made holds). It’s also given me several thoughts for my own architecture. :)

1N1E was probably my favourite, since I’ve never seen anything like it before. The other “best” rooms for me were 2N3E, 2N2E (though I’m not really sure what the western door was for), and 3N2E. I probably ended up spending the most time overall on 2N2E. As mentioned above, 3N3E was the easiest, as the only possible paths of all the roaches are fairly evident.

Selected criticisms, though they’re all personal preferences:
- 1N looked very interesting at first, but I found myself feeling somewhat let down by the solution...I was expecting to have to block roaches on the green doors, move back and forth a few times, etc. (I felt a bit of the same for 3N2E, but not enough to detract from the room there).
- 2N1E was a bit tedious, trying to keep track of all eight roaches in the maze. It wasn’t terribly so, however, and I did like the idea the room was based on.
- 1E and 1N2E felt almost unnecessary, being very easy and not too different from the harder 2N3E. (I did end up doing 2N3E before finding either of the other two, though, so the contrast may have been more apparent).

Nine fun, three brains. Thanks very much!

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....

[Last edited by The_Red_Hawk at 08-01-2009 05:49 AM]
08-01-2009 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
icon Re: Simplicity (+2)  
That was fun.

3N2E was my favorite, 2N2E my least favorite.

I picked this up after playing Tunnel Vision, which I've only finished one route of (and thus haven't reviewed yet); mentioning your other holds in the ending worked well on me. I'll be sure to try them all in the near future.

11-12-2010 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CrazyDiamond
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
I've just solved room 2N 2E, but I noticed that

Did I find an alternative solution or this was the intended one?

[Last edited by CrazyDiamond at 07-13-2013 07:08 PM]
07-13-2013 at 07:08 PM
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
CrazyDiamond wrote:
I've just solved room 2N 2E, but I noticed that

The intended one - I assume.

adS

07-13-2013 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
CrazyDiamond wrote:
I'm sure it's intended. I love red herrings. :)

(There was a version where it was used as an alternative solution, but it was discovered during testing and it was removed.)

07-13-2013 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CrazyDiamond
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
Thank you!
Anyway very nice old, I voted it 9 for fun and 7.5 for brains, even if some rooms were easy there were also some other good ideas around.
07-13-2013 at 11:42 PM
mtuan
Rank Points: 21
I am fond of this hold. It made me think instead of qw, and it's not too difficult.
09-21-2013 at 01:21 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
This is a nice and quick little hold. Each room only contains a few roaches and there are no other enemies. Puzzles mostly involve simple roach manipulation or paying attention to the room architecture.

Everything was satisfying to solve, despite being fairly simple. A great low difficulty hold.

02-16-2018 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Simplicity (Minimalistic, simple looking hold) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com