Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins. (Variety of levels based around a linear game.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

2.8/10 (21 votes)
σ 2.13
Author Name:Seb
Submitted By:sebhaque
Hold Name:Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins.
Theme:Variety of levels based around a linear game.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:109
Number of Monsters:10027
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-1 (+0 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Malcom Brock and Dave Death by Goblins.hold (56.1 KB)
Downloaded 2266 times.
License: Other
icon Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins.  
LONG GAME! Only do this if you want a 3 week challenge (*cough cough*)
04-12-2004 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins. (0)  
Just so you know, it's a good idea to post holds in the Archtecture forum first so we can test them and give you some feedback before posting them here. And your hold has one room which is unsolvable - Level 1 9N has a yellow door (top right) that won't open.

Also, can I suggest that you remove 1S as it serves no purpose except to annoy people, or at least remove the force arrow.
Also, you might want to add a bit more to your rooms. At the moment they are all very easy - that's fine, it's nice to have some easier holds about - but also a bit dull as they are mainly large empty space. A bit of decoration is always good.

"Oook!"
04-12-2004 at 02:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HSE
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
Thanks for that. It's nice to have some constructive critisicm instead of just "Your hold's rubbish." I'll re-do some of the rooms and post it again soon. Thanks again!
Seb
04-12-2004 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
sebhaque wrote:
Thanks for that. It's nice to have some constructive critisicm instead of just "Your hold's rubbish."
Eh?

I hardly think anyone would make such an impolite comment as that on this forum about anyone's hold, even for the one or two holds that are purposefully not very good. Most criticism about holds is constructive and usually helpful, and usually comes with some analysis

I'll re-do some of the rooms and post it again soon. Thanks again!
Seb

Before putting it here, why not put it on the Architecture board so we can test it, like krammer says? This will help to correct bugs like the one found, and allow you to improve your hold more efficiently as you tend to get more tester help from the Architecture forum. Plus - if you decide to add/remove rooms, the Holds forum will not accept the new hold - you can only update holds with the same number of rooms in them.

04-12-2004 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
I'm rather enjoying this hold -easy on the brain, but I can't get past 9N - is there a fix for this or did I download an old version?

10-26-2004 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
cbemom wrote:
I'm rather enjoying this hold -easy on the brain, but I can't get past 9N - is there a fix for this or did I download an old version?

This is the old, buggy version, but it was scheduled for an update, I think. I do remember that there was a thread for this hold's development on the Architecture board, since I remember writing an analysis of this entire hold some time ago, but the thread had mysteriously disappeared, and I'm not sure if a new version had been released or not.

Perhaps you could PM sebhaque about it?

10-27-2004 at 02:17 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I played it now till "The Cliffs" 11N
A rather easy hold which consist mostly of easy Hack and Slash. Its maybe ok that the hold determinates the players way but not rooms like "You took the wrong way, hahahahahah !" (Lvl 1 1S ; Lvl 2 Warproom). The rooms are quite well to do efficiency training (attempt highscore), but those "Here are 800 eyes/brains for you ; have fun ! Muhahahaha !" are rather annoying. All in all its quite nice for beginners or a break between harder holds.

Fun : 5+ (-1 because of those rooms filled completly with enemies) = 4+
Difficuty : 3,5
05-16-2005 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins. (+1)  
Alright, I'm going to have to be honest with you here. There were a couple of problems I saw with some of the rooms in the hold.

For starters, the rooms that appear full of eyes or brains. The eye thing could be a puzzle... if they weren't all facing upwards. There's no challenge, and really, no point.

A lot of rooms didn't have walls on the borders. Some rooms even forced you to look for the specific one spot where the door to the next room was. This isn't a puzzle. This is just irritating.

A lot of the silly hold tricks, like the stairs that lead you backwards or other such guess-the-right-path mischief really aren't fun. They might amuse the creator, but the point is to make your hold fun for other people.

But these comments are intended only to help. Don't give up on building holds. You could make some fun and interesting puzzles with practice.

[Edited by Hatlore at Local Time:05-18-2005 at 07:55 AM]
05-18-2005 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
old lady
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
I know you lot are way above my capabilities at playing DROD holds but this is one of the holds am trying to get through.
Level 4:Lava: Once north is really irritating me as there should be a save cross somewhere. It takes so long to do the top half and you get half way through the bottom section and get killed and have to start all over again.
11-13-2005 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
2 years on, I hope she's solved that room ;)

I would recommend not responding to very old threads as this can get in the way of newer threads. Besides which, she hasn't posted on this site for over a year so there's a slim chance she'll read your reply...
10-02-2007 at 11:42 PM
old lady
SLIM CHANCE - HA!!! the reason I haven't posted is because for the past year or so have been unable to download any new holds - have tried uninstalling my drod and then reinstalling - that works ok, but just cannot import anymore - that part doesn't seem to work on my computer. Every couple of months I try again - sometimes the hold is there but just won't import!! and I have SO MISSED playing - (your post has inspired me again) - is my computer just to old now?
10-04-2007 at 09:44 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins. (+2)  
What version of DROD do you have, old lady?

If you've got the Architect's Edition, you can only import other holds made in Architect's Edition, and there have only been 4 new AE holds this past year. If this is the problem, maybe you should download the free demo for The City Beneath from here. Then you could import and play any user-made hold.
10-04-2007 at 10:01 AM
old lady
Firstly - THANKYOU so much for replying to my old post - SECONDLY - did as you said - and it all works plus imported another hold and that worked!! Am thrilled to be back playing :thumbsup "OH NO!!" cried the old man "she's not back on that DROD again - I'll never get my dinner now"
10-05-2007 at 10:30 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
This hold is to be commended on the new levels of badness it attains. I think this is quite possibly not only the worst hold I have ever played, but the worst hold possible. This is it, there's no going down from here. Badness has been optimized.

05-30-2012 at 03:18 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
stigant wrote:
This hold is to be commended on the new levels of badness it attains. I think this is quite possibly not only the worst hold I have ever played, but the worst hold possible. This is it, there's no going down from here. Badness has been optimized.
You could be right, but this hold has been given zero negative karma. That's less negative karma than some really good holds have.

To be fair, there's no positive hold karma here either. Maybe it has optimized apathy.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-30-2012 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
stigant wrote:
That sounds like a challenge.

05-30-2012 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Is it worse than That Really Annoying Hold?

05-30-2012 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
Granted, I haven't played this hold, but based on the room descriptions in previous posts, That Really Annoying Hold is pretty tame in comparison (although I played it long after all of its apparently impossible rooms were fixed). I basically just remember a bunch of 'hold down the battle key' rooms, with a few relatively painless tricks in between. Honestly, I think that one could've done a lot more to make it annoying.

And now we wait for input from someone who has actually played both.

05-30-2012 at 05:31 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
And now we wait for input from someone who has actually played both.
Well, I've just completed a back-to-back viewing of these holds. It may be a "Plan 9 from Outer Space" vs "Manos: Hand of Fate" thing, but I'm giving the nod to Death by Goblins. A lot of the things that would have made That Annoying Hold really impossibly annoying (stuff under tar - including the stairs! - orb puzzles, QW rooms etc) have been alleviated somewhat by game enhancements and mods. Typewriter rooms (ie clear say 1200 brains/trapdoors) haven't been alleviated, and DbG has more of them. For that matter, DbG has about 3 times as many rooms as TAH. And a significant number of TAH's rooms are pass-throughs (although DbG didn't have any rooms of twisty crumbly wall paths). Also, DbG has a number of backtracking problems (TAH of course requires a hug amount of backtracking, but at least it doesn't require any restoring) including stairs to dead ends. Both holds need more checkpoints.

Yeah, I'm calling it for Death by Goblins. It truly is the hair clogging the drain of absolute awfulness.

05-30-2012 at 10:25 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
So we're making Pearls LP it, right?
06-04-2012 at 12:23 PM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins. (+5)  
Banjooie wrote:
So we're making Pearls LP it, right?

I'm on it.

Click here to view the secret text

06-05-2012 at 06:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
man if only I had more mod points
06-07-2012 at 12:03 PM
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
There's a level on this hold called "The Void". Well I think that's should be the title of the hold too, it's like if one of those short 1-rated holds had 100 rooms instead of 5. There's no idea at all, just 4 walls and all other squares empty or filled with brains or with arrows or whatever. And a couple of rooms filled with monsters and no checkpoints at all. Bad Evil Restaurant sarcasm proved to be profetic once more. :P

09-20-2014 at 06:06 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins. (Variety of levels based around a linear game.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com