Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Bwugh, confused! (There are too many DRODs)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
IP: Logged
icon Bwugh, confused! (+1)  
So, which one do I buy? There's too many DRODs to pick from, I don't know which are standalone and which need others, and eep, confused.
11-13-2007 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Bwugh, confused! (+2)  
You should buy either:

* Journey to Rooted Hold (This is a standalone version including the 2.0 game engine and the official JtRH hold. You can import and play other holds made in the Architect's Edition or JtRH.)

* The City Beneath (This is a standalone version including the 3.1 game engine and the official TCB hold. You can import and play all available holds with the exception of JtRH).

Why not download and play with the demo versions of each first to help you decide? :)
11-13-2007 at 12:32 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
kyevan wrote:
So, which one do I buy? There's too many DRODs to pick from, I don't know which are standalone and which need others, and eep, confused.
I share your thoughts and am always happy I've been here for long enough to have had few choices at a time.

If you're playing a demo version, I'd probably recommend Journey to the Rooted Hold first, or King's Dugan Dungeon. The former is technically the sequel but looks better and has more elements.

JtrH also allows you to import the KDD holds so there's more options when it comes to user made holds.

As far as The City Beneath (TCB) goes, I'd heartily recommend to leave that until you've played at least one of the other 2, as it's a harder learning curve with new elements, but less introduction to previous ones.

There are also SMS holds you can purchase afterwards which are basically periodic releases/extra holds usually created by users and deemed as "excellent showcases". Most of these (and currently, I believe, *all* of these) are compatible with JtrH but newer ones will probably only be compatible with TCB.

[Last edited by Syntax at 11-13-2007 12:36 AM]
11-13-2007 at 12:34 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Bwugh, confused! (+1)  
Furthermore, if you're not willing to spend a lot of money, there are some superb free holds that are of similar quality to the Smitemaster's Selection. They just don't have the voice acting and other boosts.

A couple of examples would be Simon's Dungeon, or The Goblin. Both are fully playable using just a demo version of TCB.

11-13-2007 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Syntax wrote:
There are also SMS holds [...] Most of these (and currently, I believe, *all* of these) are compatible with JtrH but newer ones will probably only be compatible with TCB.
That is, version 3.1 of the game engine, which was made for and released with TCB.

Note that what our friends from Caravel are selling are the holds (level collections). The engines you can download for free: the demos for JtRH and TCB are complete and unrestricted versions of DROD engine versions 2.0 and 3.1 respectively; it's only the level data that are reduced demonstrations of the full, pay-to-play versions.

This means that if you decide on JtRH now, and later buy a SMS hold that requires version 3.1, you don't absolutely need to buy TCB to play the SMS hold -- it should also work in the free TCB demo.
11-13-2007 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
icon Re: Bwugh, confused! (0)  
In other words, yes, there's plenty to be confused about. Luckily, you've found the best solution: ask people on the forum. It always pays off, in my experience. :D
And if you think "Which DROD?" is a confusing question, wait until you start wanting to know about game mods, scripting and architecture, player files, etc....

Enjoy the game,
BbJ

11-13-2007 at 06:35 AM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Note that what our friends from Caravel are selling are the holds (level collections). The engines you can download for free: the demos for JtRH and TCB are complete and unrestricted versions of DROD engine versions 2.0 and 3.1 respectively; it's only the level data that are reduced demonstrations of the full, pay-to-play versions.

Not quite true. In the demo of TCB, all themes are displayed as City; in the demo of JtrH, all themes are displayed as Foundation.

11-13-2007 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
I think you should start with King Dugans Dungeon.Its easier.
11-13-2007 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
If you want to start with KDD however, I suggest you play KDD 2.0, which is basically the same hold made for the JtRH engine.
This gives you both graphical and gameplay advantages. (Undo, clicking on orbs to see what doors they affect, speech/scripting, more customization etc.)

-Insane
11-13-2007 at 11:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Bwugh, confused! (+1)  
Once you have decided I definitely think you should take a look at this page It contains all free holds available for download, and you can sort them both after name, rating and difficulty. :)

I wouldn't recommend starting with Simon’s dungeon or The Goblin though, they are both very good holds, but they're also rather difficult. I think you should start by playing one of these holds: Vere's dungeon (KDD), Nightmare Dungeon (KDD), Odyssey (KDD), Odd Jobs Easy/Medium (JtRH). All of these holds are quite challenging, but they're also quite easy to understand for someone who's new to DROD.

[Last edited by Rheb at 11-13-2007 03:36 PM]
11-13-2007 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Veere's dungeon is a nice little short one. I'm fond of it :)

11-13-2007 at 04:00 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Here are some of the earlier threads that answers the same questions for you:

Where do I start?

The Holds Canon

What are the best lynchpin based Holds?

This really should be put into a FAQ.

-- Tim

11-13-2007 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
I would laugh if kyevan never checked this thread again ;) So many people willing to help... I think this thread very much defines the essence of the forums.

I obviously hope he/she does :)
11-13-2007 at 07:30 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Syntax wrote:
I would laugh if kyevan never checked this thread again ;) [...]

I obviously hope he/she does :)
I'd say you should look up on kyevan's posting history, that would tell you whether (s)he reads the responses, and doing anything with the advices (s)he got.

11-13-2007 at 07:42 PM
Syntax
I was merely jesting.

[EDIT]

By saying "I think this thread very much defines the essence of the forums" I just wanted to highlight the fact that everyone is so friendly, not insinuate that kyevan doesn't participate on the forums...

[Last edited by Syntax at 11-13-2007 07:53 PM]
11-13-2007 at 07:51 PM
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Insane wrote:
If you want to start with KDD however, I suggest you play KDD 2.0, which is basically the same hold made for the JtRH engine.
This gives you both graphical and gameplay advantages. (Undo, clicking on orbs to see what doors they affect, speech/scripting, more customization etc.)

-Insane
or if you don't want to pay, you can download theh jthr or tcb demo and download the kdd hold.

11-17-2007 at 12:51 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Bwugh, confused! (There are too many DRODs)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com