Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where do I start?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
atomica
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Where do I start? (0)  
There are four games. Which one do I start with? Thanks!
06-13-2007 at 05:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Where do I start? (0)  
Well, either Architect's Edition (the almost-first version, freeware, unique graphics & music) or the demo of The City Beneath (the current and most awesome version). Probably the latter.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-13-2007 05:47 AM]
06-13-2007 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
atomica
The City Beneath contains everything? So, I won't missing anything by playing it first? Thanks.
06-13-2007 at 06:06 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Where do I start? (+1)  
well... here's the thing.

TCB has a big problem in terms of playability about halfway through. because any element that was used in KDD or JtRH is treated as if "known" with only the slightest of tutorials given... so if you haven't seen a guard or a goblin or a golem before, parts of TCB can be unnecessarily hard. I mean, your first puzzle with a rock golem in TCB just _assumes_ you know that they die in a pile instead of dying like roaches. it's weak there.

I'd personally recommend starting with JtRH.

06-13-2007 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
silver wrote:
I'd personally recommend starting with JtRH.

Another advantage to starting with Journey to Rooted Hold is that it has some important story buildup for The City Beneath.
So the plot will be much more satisfying, I think, if you play in that way. King Dugan's Dungeon on the other hand has a pretty minimal plot, and you won't be missing alot storywise by coming back to it later. So yeah, a second vote/reason for starting with JtRH.

06-13-2007 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
I'd also agree with starting at Journey to Rooted Hold. The demo levels are well done, and I'd say give a better idea of what DROD is about than the demo for TCB.

And remember, you can play user made holds even if you never buy the full game.
06-13-2007 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
My vote; Journey to the Rooted hold, then King Dugan's dungeon (either free hold version or the 2.0 version which you have to play for), then The City Beneath. You can skip King Dugan's Dungeon if you wish.
06-13-2007 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
atomica
Thanks, people.

My journey is clear. JtRH it will be. And may the force be with me.
06-13-2007 at 07:30 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
This is probably as good a place as any: I've been looking at the tutorials and thinking, "Wouldn't it be neat if they covered important plot points as well?"

So I thought it'd be fun if the tutorials were something like 'memory squares' where Beethro steps in them and replays a heavily modified version of his past. So in the basic techniques one, he shows Halph how he kills roaches while on the way to KDD's level 10 at the start of JtRH,
Click here to view the secret text
while not having to worry about spoiling the earlier games because the details change to fit the 'memory' and Beethro lampshades it (that is, he says: Hey, wait, this isn't what happened! There was this other guy and... You know? I like it better this way. Lot easier. You're 'hanging a lampshade' on the story-gameplay segregation by pointing it out in the script while not actually doing anything about it.)

(There isn't a monsters tutorial for goblins and rock golems?)

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 06-13-2007 11:17 AM : Okay, secret tags.]
06-13-2007 at 10:21 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mattcrampy wrote:
So I thought it'd be fun if the tutorials were something like 'memory squares' where Beethro steps in them and replays a heavily modified version of his past. So in the basic techniques one, he shows Halph how he kills roaches while on the way to KDD's level 10 at the start of JtRH,
Click here to view the secret text
while not having to worry about spoiling the earlier games because the details change to fit the 'memory' and Beethro lampshades it (that is, he says: Hey, wait, this isn't what happened! There was this other guy and... You know? I like it better this way. Lot easier. You're 'hanging a lampshade' on the story-gameplay segregation by pointing it out in the script while not actually doing anything about it.)

(There isn't a monsters tutorial for goblins and rock golems?)
Fixed.

Anyway, that's not a bad idea actually, but then you have the problem of people who want to experience the story for themselves, but can't afford it/can't be bothered/going through slowly.

Oh, and then there is copyright :ranting
06-13-2007 at 10:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
NiroZ wrote:

Anyway, that's not a bad idea actually, but then you have the problem of people who want to experience the story for themselves, but can't afford it/can't be bothered/going through slowly.

They'll still be able to: I envisage it sort of like the 'previously on' bits they do on TV, where you only get just enough so you can follow what's going on.

Oh, and then there is copyright :ranting

All of which Caravel owns, so I don't see the problem.

06-13-2007 at 11:29 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
While agreeing with Matt causes me physical pain, I must admit he has an awesome idea here.
06-15-2007 at 11:42 AM
Ed Crash
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
I would choose KDD20. Because there starts the story, and there is another hold.

06-15-2007 at 04:34 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
The extra hold with KDD 2.0 doesn't properly introduce you to its elements, however - you're expected to know about them already. Also, it's possible to get the freeware version of KDD and play that. While there are definitely reasons to get KDD 2.0 and its companion hold, I don't think it should necessarily be recommended as a place to start.

Journey to Rooted Hold is a much saner introduction to *all* KDD and JtRH elements, and leaves you with just getting used to the new TCB stuff.

That said, some parts of JtRH can be quite evil to newcomers, but it's still a nice complete and more gradual introduction to the basic elements.
06-15-2007 at 05:23 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Another thing to consider is that JtRH and TCB were built by people who had either completed KDD or at least progressed far enough to be considered good players and not new to the game, so they are both harder than KDD in the later levels as a result.

06-15-2007 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where do I start?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com