Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Let's Script video series (I am starting a new video series because I can never have enough work!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Let's Script video series (+6)  
Once upon a time I made a new video today. Two videos actually. We've been chatting on chat a little about... things. Like trapdoor things, and serpent things, and problems with scripting and then suddenly I've found myself saying I can record for someone a video where I script something. And, to cut the long story short, I've recorded two videos about custom Trapdoors.

Stand-alone videos:
- Scripting DROD: Custom Trapdoors (3 videos) [Holdfile]
- Scripting DROD: Custom Serpent (3 video) [Holdfile]

Beginner course [Playlist] [Holdfile]:
- Introduction to Scripting
- Speech queue
- Speech and Flush Speech

Scripting Cookbook [Playlist] [Holdfile]:
- #1 - Stopping & ending a script

I had a lot of fun while recording and it should be obvious from the video. I'd like to record more of it and I'd be happy to fulfill all your requests, at least as long as they make sense. They can be as simple or as advanced as you wish, it doesn't matter. Obviously I'll ultimately decide what I want to record and what I do not wish to, but the more there is to chose from the better :).

Just please try to make your request as specific as you can, it will make my life easier :).

[Last edited by skell at 11-05-2015 11:52 PM]
04-06-2015 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Let's Script video series (+1)  
This is a cool idea! I'll watch these when I get home tonight.

Could you share your finished code with each one of these?

04-06-2015 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Let's Script video series (0)  
Very cool!

If possible, it would be awesome to watch a less-intimidating scripting intro video for newbies.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-07-2015 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Finally got around to watching this - it was great! It's fun to see another person's approach to scripting. I'm impressed with how quickly you operate.

I'd love to see you try to implement a serpent, like you suggest. I've thought about it before without much success. Since each segment needs to know information about the segments that come before and after it, and since there's no way to query another character's local variables, I can't imagine a clean way to make one that doesn't involve a ton of non-local variables. Multiple snakes in the same room would be a pain too.

If you can script up a serpent that operates independently of the turn clock, you can come to my birthday party.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 04-10-2015 08:51 AM]
04-10-2015 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
I've got the first episode recorder, but I want to record some other Scripting things before that :).

04-10-2015 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406

File: Boomsnake.hold (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Let's Script video series (+2)  
I did an approximation of a serpentish thing a while back. Not hugely useful, I think, but this is it.

04-10-2015 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Heh, cool. I believe that it is possible to script a serpent-like being without having to use absurd amounts of global variables. It does require, however, that care is taken with the order of placing the characters (unsurprisingly).

Once I get some time (read: when I'm done my papers for this semester) I'll see if I can't script one.
04-10-2015 at 11:03 PM
skell
Someone Else wrote:
Once I get some time (read: when I'm done my papers for this semester) I'll see if I can't script one.
Stop making me want to hurry up to be the first one to script it :P

04-10-2015 at 11:05 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Haha, but I really do have to write my papers...
04-11-2015 at 07:45 PM
skell
icon Re: Let's Script video series (+3)  
And the first episode of the actual tutorial series is up:

Beginner Scripting DROD: Introduction to Scripting

04-12-2015 at 01:10 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
These videos are great and I've learned a few things, so thanks for making them.

Well... maybe I personally didn't learn much from the most recent one, but I wish I had it when I first started tinkering with scripting.

:thumbsup
04-12-2015 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
A new video has been uploaded, Speech and Flush Speech. I've updated the first post to include the video and, in the first post, you can find the link to the most-up-to-date hold file for the videos.

04-13-2015 at 01:36 PM
skell
I've uploaded the first video of me working on a custom serpent. There are three episodes recorded so far, and I am planning at least one more. I'll make the hold file available once I add real graphics :)

04-14-2015 at 09:17 PM
skell
Scripting Custom Serpent Part 2 and Part 3 are now up! I've also created a thread on the architecture board where you can get the hold file.

04-30-2015 at 05:05 PM
PigmyWubba
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 151
Would you consider doing a tar/mud/gel to fluff switcher token?

05-10-2015 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
PigmyWubba wrote:
Would you consider doing a tar/mud/gel to fluff switcher token?
Sure, I'll see what I can do!

Other than that a new video has been uploaded which I recorder some time ago but forgot to upload so far. It's an addendum to Speech and Flush Speech and it talks about Speech queue.

05-21-2015 at 09:25 PM
skell
Guess what, Custom Trapdoors Part 3 is up and I'll update the hold file in a few minutes too!

05-25-2015 at 09:59 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
A discussion came up in chat today about what some good topics would be for the continuation of this series. Here are some of the suggestions mentioned. Please feel free to add more as replies below!

Chaco: An NPC that is waiting in an idle loop for one of multiple scenarios to occur then does some blocking action like moving or hitting orbs or something depending on what scenario occurs (e.g. Beethro moves to any of three locations, a monster enters some region, a trapdoor gets dropped, etc.)

kieranmillar and Nuntar: How to script a challenge e.g. A "don't turn your sword" challenge script.

Nuntar: Related to the above, thge proper use of "end" and how to end a script without permanently ending it. Done!

Insoluble: a video that fully explains "wait" Including the infamous "wait 0 turns"

Chaco show how to start a cutscene, move Beethro in the cutscene, then stop the cutscene with Beethro in the new location

EDIT: Since a new video has been done for one of the above suggestions, I'll add another suggestion to keep the ball rolling

Insoluble: How to properly use and reset the _MyScript variables to change the input of a command.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 11-11-2015 04:17 PM]
11-04-2015 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Let's Script video series (I am starting a new video series because I can never have enough work!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com