Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Passing of the Hold Revival - Testing Topic! (Testing over, hold now in the hands of the HAs!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged

File: Pass the Hold Around.hold (4.1 MB)
Downloaded 63 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Passing of the Hold Revival - Testing Topic! (+1)  
The testing phase is now over! It is now being reviewed by the Hold Admins. Thanks to everyone who worked on the project!

The Passing of the Hold now has a TRELLO BOARD!

Alright folks, so we're finally done with building rooms for this project. Now is time for the second phase of the Passing of the Hold: the testing phase!

The rules are simple: everyone in the forum is welcome to test and make comments on the rooms that need to be changed. Of course, since each room is made by a different person, it's only fair to let them have the chance to make their own changes where they see fit.

Here's how this is going to work:
1) Someone reports a bug in a room
2) I mark it down in the first post
3) The architect sees his room is broken, and joins the queue to make a change to his room.
4) When his turn passes, the architect makes the changes with the DAA player file, and then attaches the result file.
5) Repeat 1-4 until the result is satisfactory, or nobody reports any bugs in a decent amount of time.
6) Publish to HA's
7) ???
8) Profit!! :D

Rules:
-The queue will proceed as in the previous phase: when your turn comes up, you change your room with the DAA player file, and then post your result. If you take too long (say a week), you will be placed on standby, and others will pass until you say you have returned. Then you will pass after whoever else is first.
-Do not modify someone else's rooms. If it becomes absolutely necessary, contact me so I can judge whether I can give you permission to do so.
-When requesting to join the queue, provide some information on what issue(s) you wish to fix. This will allow me to place the issues on the queue in the Passing's Trello board.

List of Issues
Click here to view the secret text

Editing Queue
1) It's empty!

Architects who have rooms with issues
(See above for information)
-Benhur
-DezzTech
-Ziki
-The Architest
-Jeff_ray...
-12th Archivist
-brian_s

Here's the building topic!

Happy testing! :)
-Jeff_Ray ===

(This post's attachment was last updated on 2015-06-02)

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 06-16-2015 03:49 AM]
01-29-2015 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...

File: The DAA.player (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
icon Re: Passing of the Hold Revival - Testing Topic! (+1)  
And here's the DAA player file, just in case. :P

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-29-2015 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576

Downloaded 38 times.
I've edited my rooms so that all with challenges have challenge scrolls, and the scrolls in each level's Entrance have my name (I originally put Anonymous on some of them, but I've changed my mind). My rooms are completely finished now, no more changes.

Bugs noticed in other rooms:

TS 3N: Script has "Wait for clean level" instead of "Wait for clean room". This makes it trivial to be awarded the challenge.
TS 1E: Scrolls say "Easy mode" and "Hard mode" depending on the weapon selected, but there is no scripted challenge.
TS 2S3E: Scroll text: "Chanced" should be "changed to".

DoL 2N2W: Scrolls refer to custom music that is not present in the room.

Col 1S2E: Scrolls describe a challenge, but there is no scripted challenge.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 01-29-2015 03:23 AM]
01-29-2015 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618

File: demos.zip (8.4 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
icon Re: Passing of the Hold Revival - Testing Topic! (0)  
I only had a few minutes to play but I really liked what I saw, really great job everyone!
Some quick comments and the demos for those room:

Collaboration:
1N: Didn't needed to enter the force arrow zone.
2N1W: It's pretty straightforward, see demo attached, intended?

01-29-2015 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 132
I think I found a bug...

Contribution 2N1E: Even if the pressure plate is pressed, the player would not be trapped, as he could exit to the north. This trivializes the room.
01-29-2015 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Thanks for the input, folks! I've added the issues to the main post, and added a list of Architects that have rooms that need editing. Here it is, for convenience's sake:

Architects who have rooms with issues
-Benhur
-DezzTech
-Ziki
-abe10
-The Architest
-Jeff_ray...
-Pinnacle
-12th Archivist

Keep on testing, folks!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 01-31-2015 02:57 PM]
01-31-2015 at 02:51 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
That room is not supposed to be that easy, no. It's a simple fix, the issue is that the north entrance trivializes the room. I'll go on the editing queue.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 01-31-2015 03:09 PM]
01-31-2015 at 03:06 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Very well! :)

Editing Queue
1) Pinnacle
2) Hey, look! Someone!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 01-31-2015 03:10 PM]
01-31-2015 at 03:10 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I'll try to get a full set of demos up this weekend, since I kind of forgot. I don't plan on listing broken rooms, but suffice to say, it seems to be many of them.

01-31-2015 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126

Downloaded 32 times.
Updated Collaboration: 2N1W, adding a pressure plate to the north entrance that blocks access to the main chamber.

01-31-2015 at 07:01 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
Contribution:

2N1E: I just kill the guard with my sword and then exit north.
1S: I didn't needed the 4 roaches behind the yellow doors, I put mirrors in force arrows to repair myself then wait for a queen to spawn lots of babies.

Overall, another good level though some rooms are way, way more harder than others, but I guess this is just a consequence of many different architects.
Also, I loved 3E, well done!

02-01-2015 at 03:24 PM
blorx1

File: Pass the Hold Around Blorx Demos 1.demo (63.2 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
So here's a pile of demos. I think I missed some rooms that got changed. Tell me if you want to re-record a demo.

I didn't finish the hold because that odd sudoko thing on level 3 is required but unreachable. I also missed one or two secrets. Most notably TS 3N, which required doing really well in 2N1E (which is an awful room that can go to hell for all I care) and requires killing huge hordes. Yuck.

I bet a ton of my demos are unintended, so yeah. Have fun, or not.

Oh and I forgot to mention, there are some rooms that trivialize highscores and since I hate that about as much as I hate tedious rooms, I'll probably make a list of rooms where it needs to be fixed.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 02-03-2015 04:08 AM]
02-03-2015 at 04:06 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
So Rheb's recent hold allows the player to exit after doing a certain number of rooms, less than the total required. Perhaps that sort of thing could be implemented by level in this hold to account for architects with varying expectations of the player's willpower.

On the other hand, one can progress freely from level to level, so it really only interferes with final completion of the hold, which isn't a huge deal. Play the rooms you like, grouse about the rooms you don't; I tend to build my holds toward that expectation.

02-03-2015 at 06:24 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Fixed code for TS 3N. Code now only applies if you enter through the furthest door.
Edit: so everyone knows I did beat the challenge in that room. Demo not included.

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 02-03-2015 08:13 AM]
02-03-2015 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Huh, it seems the guy I hired to maintain the challenge script has quit his job, (what a slacker!).

So I'll probably join the queue. :)
02-03-2015 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Someone passed a corrupted file. Many rooms with blorx demos just fail and the room appears to be incomplete. For instance my TS 2N1E had something changed about it such that it could never be solved.

02-03-2015 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
If I remember correctly I downloaded Pinnacle's version, but I'll note that I hadn't gone back through to recheck if my solutions had been broken, so some rooms may just be broken (though I'm pretty sure there just wouldn't be a demo for those rooms). The file might actually be corrupted, but I don't know. I don't want to redownload it myself since it'll probably eat all my saves and demos if I do, so I don't know where it died.

Edit: I do have Pinnacle's Version downloaded

[Last edited by blorx1 at 02-04-2015 01:40 AM]
02-04-2015 at 01:39 AM
DezzTech
Rank Points: 327
No scripted challenge? That's not a bug, that's a feature! Back in my days we didn't have any of yer' silly fancy 'challenges' stuff!

I'll add it, but only if someone other than me thinks up a name for it.

Yes, I'm so bad, I can't even make up a single name for a challenge.

02-05-2015 at 05:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Quewort
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52

File: PtHA Division of Labour 1S1W Quick solution.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
I've found a quick solution of the 1S1W room in "Division of Labour". I am sure my solution is anormal...
I attached the demo.
02-14-2015 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Shendy
Rank Points: 132
Is Division of Labour 2N2W accessible?
I couldn't find any stairs which leads to the room.
If this is so, then the level cannot be completed, as the room was required.

And anyway, the stairs in Division of Labour 2N2W ends the hold.

[Last edited by Shendy at 02-14-2015 08:51 AM]
02-14-2015 at 08:49 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Sorry for the wait, folks. I've been occupied with life and other things. Anyway, I've updated the first post with the new issues.

Here they are:
-General Issue: blorx1's demos no longer work for multiple rooms. Maybe a corrupted file has been passed?
-Division of Labour 1S1W (brian_s): Unintended solution? (See Quewort's demo)
-Division of Labour 2N2W (abe10): The room is not accessible. This means DoL cannot be cleared since this room is required. Also, the stairs end the hold.
-Contribution 1S (Jeff_ray...): I didn't needed the 4 roaches behind the yellow doors, I put mirrors in force arrows to repair myself then wait for a queen to spawn

And here's the current edit queue:
1) The Architest
2) I'm back from the dead!

EDIT: I didn't see Red-XIII's post, which contained an issue I hadn't put into the list. This has been rectified.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 02-28-2015 05:18 PM]
02-28-2015 at 02:29 PM
blorx1
To address the issue of my demos failing, I haven't gone through every room in Spitemaster's version, but I see no issue in 2N1E so it's likely a problem on Spitemaster's local version.

I don't see a widespread problem, so I don't think it's an issue unless someone wants to list rooms that fail.

Also, the challenge for collaboration 1S2E isn't implemented.

Edit: If any rooms are missing demos and you want me to try and break the room again, I'm willing to.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 02-28-2015 04:02 PM]
02-28-2015 at 03:47 PM
Jeff_Ray...
At blorx1's request, I took a look at the demos in the most recent version... all the demos seem to work, save for a few that were showing US's that have since been fixed. It's possible that the rooms have been modified on Spitemaster's end since he posted his update.

If I may ask, which rooms are bugged on your end, Spitemaster?

EDIT: blorx seems to have beaten me to the punch here. :P Unless someone brings up this issue again, I can remove the issue. Also, the Collaboration 1S2E challenge issue has already been brought up, and I believe Architest said he was going to fix it.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 02-28-2015 04:03 PM]
02-28-2015 at 04:00 PM
Jeff_Ray...
The Passing of the Hold now has a TRELLO BOARD!

This should make testing and working on the problems much easier. However, to adapt to this system, I'll now ask that you provide some indication on what issue(s) you want to work on. I will also review issues to make sure that the issue is really solved; if it isn't then I'll send it back to the To-Do list.

If anyone wants to join the members list, let me know. You'll have to make an account on Trello first though, although I believe you can just log-in with a Google Account if you have one.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

02-28-2015 at 04:56 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254

Downloaded 26 times.
Hey there, sorry for the delay.

I added the challenge and made some aesthetic changes to the room. :)
03-05-2015 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Ohh, THIS Thread!! Cool. My fixed room will be posted by tonight.

03-17-2015 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18

File: Pass The Hold Around.hold (4.1 MB)
Downloaded 28 times.
Here is the connected room. I removed the custom floors and went with the flow of the rest of the lvl. Please advise me if anymore needs to be fixed. Sorry that I think I went out of order.

03-17-2015 at 09:47 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Sorry for the wait... I've been busy with life, videos, and other miscellaneous things. :P

Anyway, I reviewed the issues regarding Architest and abe10's rooms, and they do seem to work now, so I moved them to "Done".

I added two issues to the Trello board regarding rooms from Culmination of Effort, which is a level I'm entirely responsible for. I'll wait until later before taking my turn, so that my tardiness doesn't get in the way of progress.

The queue is currently empty, so whoever wants to pass next, call now!

---
EDIT: I communicated to the architects of the hold that they have until April 25th to communicate their ability to work on their respective rooms. Should I not receive any response from an architect, I will allow the other architects the right to work on their rooms, as to avoid the testing process being dragged down by a few stragglers.

If you are an architect that will be unable to work on your rooms for an extended amount of time, let me know and we'll discuss what can be done.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 04-12-2015 05:53 PM]
04-11-2015 at 08:17 PM
The spitemaster
Fixes an US in TS 3E.

04-12-2015 at 08:03 PM
Jeff_Ray...
The 25th has come and went with, unfortunately, very few replies from the architects of the Passing. So I don't have much choice but to open up all rooms to bug fixing. This means that anyone will be able to work on any room of their choice. Architects of a room are free to contest a change if they don't like it, of course.

Now, I'd like the Passing to be released at some point, so I will have to set another deadline, this time for the entire overall testing process. The deadline is going to be June 1st. On June 2nd, I will take the latest version of the hold and publish it to the HA's. If there are people in the queue still, then I will give a little more time, but I won't be waiting another month, that's for certain. If nothing ends up done, I'll either patch them up myself and publish the hold, or if the issues are minor enough, just publish it as is.

In other news, I bring with me a few new Issues to add to the list!

ISSUE-15 - Team Synergy 1S4E (disoriented): Speech script has no End command.
ISSUE-16 - Team Synergy 3E (The spitemaster): I can re-enter the room from the eastern entrance and clean up the goblins without the dagger or the temporal clones, thanks to the door providing a safe spot. (Possibly an US?)

Alright folks, let's get to work! A month left to get the bugs fixed!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-26-2015 at 02:33 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Passing of the Hold Revival - Testing Topic! (Testing over, hold now in the hands of the HAs!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com