Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Daggers and Oremites (Intentional or not?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
IP: Logged
icon Daggers and Oremites (0)  
So, I discovered a weird interaction with oremites and a player armed with a dagger:

1. You can body kill a monster on oremites by stepping from a non-oremite tile.
2. You can't move off oremites onto a monster.

These two points only a apply to body-kills when armed with a dagger. The weapon part of the player acts like all other metal weapons, that is, stepping on prevents a kill, stepping off allows a kill. Since the body-kill is the inverse, I'm wondering if this is intentional.

01-05-2015 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Daggers and Oremites (+1)  
I think this mechanic makes sense. I imagine the part which you describe as "body kill", happens when the player is still on his starting square and bumping into the monster. It'd be more like a preliminary stab, and then when the monster is dead and makes space, the player will make his actual move onto the monster's square. Note also how a player kan kill a mud mother by bumping into her, but will stay on his original square when the mud underneath her stays intact.

Considering this, the ormite interaction seems logical. The initial stab is prevented if the starting square has oremites, whereas the conventional stab after moving is prevented if the destination square has oremites.

01-05-2015 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I think this is intended behavior. Do note that walking with your dagger onto a monster is not a body kill but rather a touch kill.

To see the difference: playing as a goblin you can kill monster by stepping on them, we call that body kill. But golems, rock giants, waterskippers or seep are resistant to a body kill due to the fact that they either leave something after their death or are on an inaccessible terrain.

But you can do it all with a dagger, hence you kill them on touch. The reason you end up on the target's tile is because touching happens before the actual movement.

The same analogy works for walking on or off the oremites - you can step on an enemy standing on oremites because the first action which happens is you stabbing them with a dagger and only afterwards you make the movement. When you are trying to attack an enemy from the oremites you can't, because your dagger is still sheathed.

Unless there are further objections I am marking this as not a bug :).

01-27-2015 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Daggers and Oremites (0)  
Good explanation, and well reasoned! I agree.

After all, you wouldn't be able to step onto the oremites in the first place if you didn't kill your monster with your dagger first.

Which also explains why, with your dagger sheathed, you can't kill the adjacent monster in order to step onto its tile.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-07-2015 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
This behaviour seems unchanged in 5.0.2.1004.
08-10-2015 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Daggers and Oremites (Intentional or not?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com