Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS 5.0.1.6060
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon TSS 5.0.1.6060 (+1)  
Hi, all TSS players!

We've been working diligently this week to correct issues reported for the 5.0 engine and the TSS hold.

I'd like to officially release version 5.0.1 within the next couple of days. This is an RCB (release candidate build) patch.

Attached is a patch you can apply to your Windows demo or full version of TSS 5.0.0 or 5.0.1 in order to get a few dozen code-related issues resolved right away (see below).

This patch does not contain TSS hold fixes made for 5.0.1. Those need to be obtained by downloading and running the 5.0.1 full game installer.

Change log:

5.0.1 TSS hold changes:
(minor changes, with varying degrees of spoilers in these notes)
Click here to view the secret text

----------
* CaravelNet: fixed crash when membership has expired
* Fixed: crash when viewing Demos Screen for a non-published hold after viewing demos for a published hold.
* Fixed: incorrect "not connected" message on Demos Screen

----------
* Room editor: gentryii as only monster type in room shouldn't remove warning highlight from green doors
* CaravelNet cloud sync: now merges challenges completed by the player on remote host
* Fixed crash in script editor on missing speech audio data.
+ Added basic feedback while deleting a player profile on the Player Select screen

----------
! Now stunned brains do not target the player for monster pathmapping
! Allow allocating more memory for game state snapshots, in order to reduce slowdown
* Fixed: exporting player saves from a 64-bit install corrupted world map image destinations when importing into a 32-bit install
* Now tarstuff mothers killed by fluff babies will have unstable tarstuff beneath them destroyed
* Fixed script crash/hang when coords are outside of the room range
* Fixed: clones only get stunned for the current turn, like the player and temporal projections
* Fixed: assertion failure when an aumtlich kills the player from behind
* Fixed: generating a roach egg via scripting should not create assertion failures and crash

----------
+ Minimap: Now briar roots are displayed. Gave a distinct color to floor spikes, fluff vents and both variants of thin ice.
* Fixed: stunned tarstuff monsters should not get unstunned when a tar switcher token is activated.
* Fixed: possible assertion failure when a construct falls into water off a raft
* Fixed: crash when selecting an invalid world map entrance ID
* CaravelNet Cloud: fixed memory leak and repeated unnecessary attempts to apply the same cloud update during a play session

----------
* Fixed crash on clicking bombs/powder kegs that would cause monsters to fall.
* Fixed: stepping on a weapon token should update the weapon's armed/sheathed state immediately.
* Fixed: after getting a player profile from the cloud, it isn't listed on the Select Player screen
* Fixed: clicking "X" (app quit button) while viewing a room on the minimap, then selecting "No" no longer briefly displays a weird room image.
* Docs: added missing images of powder kegs, temporal split token, fire trap and floor spikes.

----------
! Large optimizations when adding shading.
+ Now when a critical NPC dies, it makes a death sound.
* Fixed: "Turn into Monster" script command should retain current weapon type for armed monster types.
* Fixed: temporal token crash when being pushed off the token on the turn you activate it. Now temporal tokens do not activate if the player does not end the turn on the token.
* Fixed: gentryii chain should not permanently stop adjacent briar from growing once the chain is removed.
* Fixed: the entity type of temporal clones is now taken into consideration when evaluating whether it is an obstacle to player movement.
* Fixed: CaravelNet-related crashes when uploading scores to the server, etc.
* Fixed: new CaravelNet Cloud progress not being applied.
* Fixed: non-yellow doors that close under fluff, rendering it unstable, should form fluff babies
* Fixed: issues when "0-turn max" undo setting is enabled
* Fixed: world maps not displaying at the correct screen location after a smaller map is displayed
* Fixed: water and stepping stones should be allowed to be built under fluff
* Fixed: spider orientation is not retained when using a vision token or "puzzle mode" display
* Fixed: slayer particles do not move on firetraps, spikes or fluff vents

----------
+ Added CaravelNet icon to indicate Cloud sync is active for the current player.
! Large optimizations to shadow rendering.
* Fixed crash when a briar root expands and detonates a powder keg that destroys the root.
* Fixed crash after rating a hold on CaravelNet and then playing the game
* Fixed crash if not connected to the internet when requesting a CaravelNet key.
* Fixed demos featuring temporal split tokens crashing and displaying improperly.
* Fixed assertion when flying a fegundo out of the room edge.
* CaravelNet Cloud sync fixes.
* Fixed: invulnerable NPCs should not be killable by the player's weapon on room entrance.
* Fixed: thin ice created by fluff babies does not support bridges.
* Fixed: undoing a death should count against the consecutive undo limit.
* Room editor fix: placing pits under fluff now allowed, etc.
* Fixed: clicking on a bomb to highlight its range in-game was displaying the combo effect.
* Fixed: hold mastery notice appearing multiple times when re-clearing secret rooms.
* Improved CaravelNet Notice UI handling.
* Fixed: default music tracks should not change to a different mood when restarting the room.
* Added missing sound when taking a screenshot via F11.
* Fixed: ambient music mood should not change when destroying tarstuff, unless babies were created.
* Fixed "No focus plays music" player setting not being applied on startup.
* Fixed aggressive exiting of the Level Start Screen.
* Cosmetic fixes with blood and death effects.
* Fixed docs in a few places.

-----

I'm hoping to have players try out this new build and confirm that everything mentioned in the above list is fixed. If you do this, please post a reply in the topic for that issue stating that you've verified the fix in this 5.0.1 build.

You can also wait a couple days until we release 5.0.1 officially, but since we're moving quickly on this first maintenance release, it would behoove you to check that this version will not cause you any more grief than 5.0.0 might be. If you find something, we can fix it up for 5.0.1. If we don't receive any feedback, we'll release 5.0.1 anyway, and then it will likely take longer to have those same hypothetical issues resolved for a later version 5.0.2. So, I'm hoping we can get some good support to confirm all the above issues are fixed and no new bugs were introduced in 5.0.1. Thanks so much!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-03-2014 01:01 AM]
06-29-2014 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: TSS 5.0.1 (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
Hi, all TSS players!
Hi!
+ Added CaravelNet icon to indicate Cloud sync is active for the current player.
It's very nice looking! And it works as intended.
Seems to work fine for all flashlight angles, colors, and intensities. I tested this out by slapping down lots of complicated wall formations and seeing how much the game lagged (which was not at all, by the way). I don't know if there's a better way to test this, though.
* Fixed crash when a briar root expands and detonates a powder keg that destroys the root.
Confirmed.
Confirmed.
* Fixed crash if not connected to the internet when requesting a CaravelNet key.
Confirmed.
* Fixed demos featuring temporal split tokens crashing and displaying improperly.
Confirmed. Temporal tokens and temps behave as expected both while watching a demo and while seeing it on the F6 screen.
Confirmed. Fegundoes will explode as they should from any direction off a room boundary.
This seems to be working okay. However, pressing escape while a cloud sync is in progress can crash the game.
* Fixed: invulnerable NPCs should not be killable by the player's weapon on room entrance.
Confirmed.
* Fixed: thin ice created by fluff babies does not support bridges.
Thin ice created by fluff will now support bridges.
* Fixed: undoing a death should count against the consecutive undo limit.
Confirmed. However, if "auto-undo on death" is checked while the undo level is zero, the room turns black and Beethro's tongue will waggle until the player restarts or presses escape. If the player did press escape, then continue game, the game resumes with the player being dead (with no movement being allowed), but Beethro's face returns to normal, and any clouds reflected in water stop moving until the player restarts the room and regains control. This will happen no matter how the player dies.
* Room editor fix: placing pits under fluff now allowed, etc.
Placing *pits* under fluff is allowed, but placing *water* is not. Unrelated: all types of sister gates can be placed under fluff. However, if an open green door is under fluff and it closes, it can create 1x1 tiles of unstable fluff which do not dissolve into puff babies. This causes no errors, and the 1x1 fluff functions exactly like fluff.
* Fixed: clicking on a bomb to highlight its range in-game was displaying the combo effect.
Confirmed.
* Fixed: hold mastery notice appearing multiple times when re-clearing secret rooms.
Confirmed.
* Fixed: default music tracks should not change to a different mood when restarting the room.
Confirmed.
* Added missing sound when taking a screenshot via F11.
Confirmed.
* Fixed: ambient music mood should not change when destroying tarstuff, unless babies were created.
Confirmed.
* Fixed "No focus plays music" player setting not being applied on startup.
Confirmed.
* Fixed docs in a few places.
Confirmed. The parsing error is fixed. All references to Gunthro have been updated to reflect Beethro's prominence in the Grand Scheme of Things (where appropriate).

Whew! Now I can start eating this dinner on my desk!

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-29-2014 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: TSS 5.0.1 (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
Fixed for the Escape case as originally reported. Still crashes if you walk out of the room instead of pressing Escape. Feels more consistent now, but that might be me imagining things and getting hooked up on the "Exit Level" notification I had when it first happened. I was assuming they were the same bug. Remaining case logged as /viewtopic.php?TopicID=37949.

Verified.

Verified.

12th Archivist wrote:
However, if "auto-undo on death" is checked while the undo level is zero, the room turns black and Beethro's tongue will waggle until the player restarts or presses escape. If the player did press escape, then continue game, the game resumes with the player being dead (with no movement being allowed), but Beethro's face returns to normal, and any clouds reflected in water stop moving until the player restarts the room and regains control. This will happen no matter how the player dies.
Agreed. Undo level 0 needs to ignore the "auto-undo on death setting" and auto-restore instead.
06-29-2014 at 04:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Emojk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 94
icon Re: TSS 5.0.1 (0)  
Is there a non-exe patch for Mac users available?
06-29-2014 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Penumbra
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 358
icon Re: TSS 5.0.1 (+1)  
I applied the patch to my Windows computer and again tried to pull my TSS progress from the cloud. It still won't update my progress.

This is because the problem was in the saving, correct? I'll test again tomorrow, when I can access my Ubuntu box.
06-29-2014 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Rank Points: 460
Now two different cosmetic issues occur instead:

Slayers do not bleed at all when killed by firetraps or spikes, [fixed -- mrimer]
and custom NPC player roles completely disappear without the nice "fade" effect when falling to their death from an unsupported bridge.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-03-2014 10:51 PM]
06-29-2014 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks so much, everyone! I should have mentioned -- if there is a new issue, would you please post it in a new bug report? It gets a bit hard for you and me to track whether everything mentioned here has been resolved or not.

06-30-2014 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Emojk wrote:
Is there a non-exe patch for Mac users available?
Sorry, not for this quick beta cycle. I'll provide a full Mac 5.0.1 version the same time the Windows version is released.

06-30-2014 at 04:18 AM
mrimer
12th Archivist wrote:
Seems to work fine for all flashlight angles, colors, and intensities. I tested this out by slapping down lots of complicated wall formations and seeing how much the game lagged (which was not at all, by the way). I don't know if there's a better way to test this, though.
Thanks so much for going through all of these! Sorry for being vague in my wording here. I'm not talking about lights. I'm talking about shadows, like from overhead clouds in the Weather settings, and cast shadows from walls and obstacles.

06-30-2014 at 04:20 AM
Tuttle
icon Re: TSS 5.0.1 (+8)  
Okay, I think I've created bugs for all the new/unsolved issues raised here so far. Hopefully the original reporters can add more detail if required.

12th / Cloud sync: 37985

12th / Undo on death: 37984

12th / Water under fluff: 37986

12th / Sister doors under fluff: 37987

Tuttle / CaravelNet rating crash: 37949

azb / Slayers not bleeding: 37988

azb / NPC roles don't fade: 37989

[Last edited by Tuttle at 06-30-2014 12:15 PM : s/bleed/fade/]
06-30-2014 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tiohn
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
mrimer wrote:

Still not working for me. I exported the profile from my OSX installation, installed the patch on Windows, imported the OSX profile, restored to my latest progress, and cloud sync still isn't working. My sync data in my profile here still indicates the last sync was on Friday, the 27th.
06-30-2014 at 11:58 AM
mrimer
Thanks for posting the bug topics! I won't have time to get all this resolved today, but it sounds like this build is definitely better than 5.0.0, thanks to all the above changes. I'll probably make it publicly available, and provide another in a few more days.

06-30-2014 at 05:00 PM
G Eye
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: TSS 5.0.1 (-3)  
WHAT ABOUT THE DEMO?????? :blowup

06-30-2014 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Rank Points: 460
You can download it by installing it again from the Games page, OR you can try the above patch installer, which will work for demo versions too.

06-30-2014 at 09:11 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Can't speak to the rest of the fixes, but the shadow optimization works beautifully. No more lag in CiaE!

07-01-2014 at 12:27 AM
tiohn
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
Any word on the official release? I'd like to get cloud sync working on OSX.
07-02-2014 at 08:21 PM
mrimer
tiohn wrote:
Any word on the official release? I'd like to get cloud sync working on OSX.
Sorry, I didn't get it up yet. I'm not certain that all cloud issues have been resolved, but we're working towards that.

07-03-2014 at 03:06 PM
mrimer
icon TSS 5.0.1.5996 (0)  
You guys did a great job verifying the first build and calling out a bunch of additional issues. Matt and I have worked hard to address these. I've posted a second beta build for 5.0.1 in first post. It has over a dozen more reported bugs fixed, plus more rendering optimizations -- this time when adding darkness to room areas, sprites and other effects. Would you please validate the issues I mention as being fixed in build 5996 in first post? If something's still not right, and it hasn't been mentioned yet, please post a new bug report topic for it so it has clear visibility and we can get it resolved. Thanks!

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-04-2014 06:24 AM]
07-04-2014 at 06:23 AM
Tuttle
Verified the following:

+ Now when a critical NPC dies, it makes a death sound.
* Fixed: CaravelNet-related crashes [when walking out of room after rating hold]
* Fixed: non-yellow doors that close under fluff, rendering it unstable, should form fluff babies
* Fixed: issues when "0-turn max" undo setting is enabled
* Fixed: water and stepping stones should be allowed to be built under fluff
* Fixed: spider orientation is not retained when using a vision token or "puzzle mode" display
* Fixed: slayer particles do not move on firetraps, spikes or fluff vents
07-04-2014 at 09:20 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Verified these:

* Fixed: "Turn into Monster" script command should retain current weapon type for armed monster types.
* Fixed: gentryii chain should not permanently stop adjacent briar from growing once the chain is removed.

This one is also fixed, but still buggy: A bug report has been made in a separate topic.
* Fixed: temporal token crash when being pushed off the token on the turn you activate it. Now temporal tokens do not activate if the player does not end the turn on the token.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 07-04-2014 03:43 PM]
07-04-2014 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks again, guys. I've posted what is probably one last beta patch before version 5.0.1 goes live. First post lists a few more things that have been fixed.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-06-2014 06:04 AM]
07-06-2014 at 06:04 AM
mrimer
Posted 5.0.1.6012. This is an RCB patch. :yay

Not all known issues have been fixed, but as long as nothing new is broken here, we should get 5.0.1 officially out the door so everyone can benefit from the litany of fixes mentioned in first post.

07-12-2014 at 10:49 PM
Elswyyr
Rank Points: 22
Is there any chance the updated hold file will include a way to get back to the missable secret rooms in the chapters after
?

I like how I can backtrack to every single other area and do areas without restoring (the seeding crystals are also great for this!), so that little change would make this even more perfect.
07-16-2014 at 09:03 PM
mrimer
Elswyyr wrote:
Is there any chance the updated hold file will include a way to get back to the missable secret rooms...I like how I can backtrack to every single other area and do areas without restoring (the seeding crystals are also great for this!), so that little change would make this even more perfect.
For better or worse, no. Considering there is a secret room in the very first level that you can miss without restoring, I don't consider ones later on to be any worse.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-17-2014 01:42 AM]
07-17-2014 at 01:41 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Is there an ETA for the full patch release?
07-17-2014 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
All I can say is "Any day now." I'm hoping for this weekend.

07-17-2014 at 06:38 PM
mrimer
Thanks, everyone, for diligently validating fixes and reporting any outstanding issues you encounter. We've fixed up some more, and I've uploaded a new Windows patch, 5.0.1.6046.

Please help to confirm the items listed in first post for build 6046 have been fixed. The plan is to get 5.0.1 out the door asap (i.e., tomorrow) so we have an official version that incorporates everything that's been fixed so far. So, if you have time, please help out once more and confirm which issues have been fixed. Thanks so much!

07-20-2014 at 12:55 AM
mrimer
Thanks again, everyone, for beta testing 5.0.1. This version is going live today!

07-21-2014 at 04:06 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Instead of listing what I verified in the TSS hold, I'll list what I didn't verify. Most of these are probably fixed, but I just didn't get to verify them. Spoilers.

Changes I'm Not a Fan Of (Spoilers)

07-21-2014 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KingCookie
Rank Points: 25
i tried the patch twice i still cant get on without disconnecting from the internet
07-23-2014 at 04:35 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS 5.0.1.6060
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes