Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : 1000 Amps (Hey! Who turned out the lights?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jemann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 160
IP: Logged
icon 1000 Amps (+1)  
1000 Amps is quite similar to DROD in some ways. The map is separated into distinct rooms, which will reset if you leave them without 'finishing'. Finishing, in this case, involves finding and lighting up all the key blocks in the room. What starts out as simple exploration in the dark gets increasingly complicated with conveyor belts, teleportation, moving blocks... For a better review, read this.

Having played through the whole thing, I can definitely recommend it; it's polished and addictive. The only down-side is that the controls can get quite finicky, not helped by the Flash player chugging along (there's a resource bug there somewhere).
03-08-2012 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: 1000 Amps (0)  
Egh, platforming in the dark, with one-way doors and currents that carry you backward if you guess wrong about where platforms are. No thanks.

03-08-2012 at 01:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jemann
Did you actually play it? Or just watch the video? Platforms do stay lit after you touch them; and you're not always entirely in the dark (not wanting to spoil, but there are upgrades). Some rooms are not initially solvable, but by the end of the game you'll be able to get anywhere.
03-08-2012 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Sure, I started on the demo. There's a series of rooms where you jump from small platform to small platform with currents waiting to carry you backward out of the room if you fail. And platforms go unlit again if you leave the room, so...

03-08-2012 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penumbra
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 358
I find the game to be more about probing than just fumbling around. There are some rooms where it would be impossible to figure out what to do first, and they usually have a "radio" beacon in them that give you a hint.

I have found it to be much more fair than it sounds.
03-08-2012 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jemann
Right: I neglected to mention that it is a puzzle game, although some manual dexterity is required. Some rooms are initially unsolvable; some rooms just seem unsolvable. The demo ends at the point where you can start branching out, so there are usually alternatives to beating your head against the same puzzle.

I only encountered one case where I was genuinely stuck, and even then I could use a get-out-of-jail-free card, so to speak.
03-08-2012 at 05:31 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
You eventually get the ability to use radio at all times, though it's not intuitive as to which button it is. I discovered it by accident.

There's only one major room where currents are a problem, and I worked around it by seeding an adjacent room to get to the spot. They are apparently making that room less difficult in the next patch as well.

I've played and beat it already, and I loved the game. Five hours well spent.

03-13-2012 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
I hope there's an upgrade to kill off those things that home in on my lit-up squares. They're rapidly becoming deal-breakers in a couple rooms.

Otherwise, it's a neat little game.

03-16-2012 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jemann
Dischorran wrote:
I hope there's an upgrade to kill off those things that home in on my lit-up squares. They're rapidly becoming deal-breakers in a couple rooms.
Yep. And agreed (although I found it more satisfying to 'beat' them without the upgrade, when it was possible).
03-16-2012 at 10:18 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : 1000 Amps (Hey! Who turned out the lights?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com