Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD Doesn't Remember Music Application (this is probably not a bug but that never stopped me before)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon DROD Doesn't Remember Music Application (0)  
Probably not a bug:

If you change music in a room, this change is forgotten when someone Continues or Restores. In most cases scripting can handle this (by putting the "set music" effect into a loop at the beginning of the script) but there are situations where this sort of solution would involve a lot of complex scripting changes and might not even be possible. :|

It would be preferable if DROD saves and continue-saves could remember what music is supposed to be playing when you rejoin play. I realize that's probably a tall order as it would likely require savefile changes that (afaik) wouldn't be backwards compatible.

Another possible fix would be to add a "default music" attribute to rooms. However, this would not fix the problem when scripting changes the music during the room's play. This is less relevant in DROD than DROD RPG, but still a potential issue.

I suspect that this is not an issue in DROD RPG, as I never remember it coming up and there were a lot of music changes throughout TT...?

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

09-22-2011 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
icon Re: DROD Doesn't Remember Music Application (0)  
I've thought for quite a while that the "Set music" command is a bit inflexible. What you're talking about here happened to me many times in Archipelago, which sets its music via scripting in every puzzle room.

One thing I'd like is to be able to maintain the music into multiple rooms rather than having DROD override it with the theme's traditional music in every new room. For a while I've thought about making a brief hold (say maybe three short levels) with an entirely original soundtrack, but this makes it impractical--at best, the music would restart in every room.

09-23-2011 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Wait, Archipelago had special music?

DROD only seems to override music when switching between levels or between rooms with different styles; in the latter case, repeating the Set Music command keeps it moving along exactly as expected. So yeah, I wanna hear that original soundtrack now.

09-23-2011 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
Trickster wrote:
Dischorran wrote:
Wait, Archipelago had special music? [...]
The music is "silence" on every third level if I recall correctly, so you have to get to island 2 if you want to hear it. ;)
It doesn't have 'special' music. It just overrides the defaults with other standard tunes (or, in the case of the first of each triplet, silence). Unless you understand DROD's criteria for default room musics (within a given theme), you won't notice the difference on most of them.

Dischorran wrote:
DROD only seems to override music when switching between levels or between rooms with different styles; in the latter case, repeating the Set Music command keeps it moving along exactly as expected. So yeah, I wanna hear that original soundtrack now.
...! This is news to me. I'll have to give it a second look. If you're right, then I'll definitely pick up that project again.

EDIT: No, Dischorran, it returns to default tunes whenever you walk between any two rooms, as far as I can tell. However, I just discovered that a music won't actually start over if a script switches to it right away in each room (unlike my prior thinking, wherever it came from), so my old project is definitely possible. *excitement*

[Last edited by Penwielder at 09-23-2011 11:10 PM]
09-23-2011 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: BUG REPORT Music Test.hold (549.2 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
License: Other
icon Re: DROD Doesn't Remember Music Application (+1)  
I am unable to reproduce it. Attached example hold. Here are scenarios I tested:

1. Start the hold -> wait a few turns -> restart game -> continue ====> Custom music plays
2. Start the hold -> wait a few turns -> hit the checkpoint -> restart game -> restore to checkpoint ====> Custom music plays

Music is: excerpt from Sakit Chills Out by Lemonectric, La-Mulana remix.

10-18-2020 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD Doesn't Remember Music Application (this is probably not a bug but that never stopped me before)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com