Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Copycat Contest Compilation (February 2010 Contest Compilation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (5 votes)
σ 0.89
Author Name:Penwielder
Submitted By:Penwielder
Hold Name:Copycat Contest Compilation
Theme:February 2010 Contest Compilation
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:64
Number of Monsters:603
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:12 (+12 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Copycat Contest Compilation.hold (47.3 KB)
Downloaded 840 times.
License: Other
icon Copycat Contest Compilation  
The compilation of the official contest from February of 2010, which can be found here.
12-08-2010 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Copycat Contest Compilation (+1)  
I pretty much missed the contest, so it's neat to see all of this for the first time. Or, rather, nowhere near all of this yet - it would have been very nice to be able to switch between the levels at will, but I suppose there's only so much that can be done with a compilation hold after the contest's over.

12-09-2010 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Copycat Contest Compilation (0)  
Eh, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.
01-02-2011 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Eh, no.

Edit (responding to the post bellow): Ah, well sorry then. Your comment just seemed kinda snarky, and I really like this compilation hold. It's got plenty of high quality levels. :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 01-10-2011 07:21 PM]
01-02-2011 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
no see

the joke was seeing as though it is a /copycat compilation/ (damn you chaco?)

that

never mind
01-09-2011 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Copycat Contest Compilation (+2)  
This was a terrific idea for a contest, and I'm so glad this compilation hold is here for those of us who missed it. Six levels by award winning architects is a real treat.

My favorite rooms include:

Doom's 1N and 2N. Challenging for Rabbits; I spent a couple hours on them. But every failed attempt brought new insight on what was really supposed to happen. I like difficult rooms with this property. When will we have a new Doom hold?

Rheb's 1N1E. Challenging but not frustrating, this has just the right balance of exploration and constraints.

Larry's 2N. Deceptively simple looking, but the intended solution captures the given room description really really well. Beethro knew he had to use the rock giants, but how?

While I certainly enjoyed all the levels, there are a couple downsides to this hold. As noted by Dischorran, it would have been nice to be able to skip around between levels. Had the contest rules specified a puzzle-free entrance room this would have been possible. Also, there are many unintended solutions left in the entries. I read the contests thread, where the holds were critiqued and USes noted, and was shocked to find those very same USes in the final product. Even the hub rooms don't work as intended. (Conquer tokens don't work when activated on turn 0.) Despite this, the hold is still well worth playing.

:)
01-12-2011 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Copycat Contest Compilation (+2)  
Very few people played this, and this is a shame. There're a bunch of quality puzzles here.

I'm not sure what scared people away from this hold... it isn't mind-blowing difficult(although some puzzles are definetily above medium difficulty, but still not the most difficult ones I've seen); it isn't tedious, either... The only thing I can think of is inability to switch between entries until you clean the one you're currently in, but it's not such a big deal.

So I'm bumping this topic and I hope that this hold will get more attention(and more than 2 conquerors...)

As for my impressions of the hold - I liked Doom's, Rheb's and Penwielder's levels the most(Doom's in particular - the only weak room there was 1N 1E, other rooms there are great and seem to work properly, without any unintended solutions). Jacob's entry was pretty decent, too. Larry's suffered from unfixed unintended solutions the most, it seems. And BoyBlue's entry was somewhat weaker than his other creations.

Overall, it was pretty fun and well-designed hold. The only issue with it is amount of unintended solutions left, but admittedly, I'm not sure architects are to blame for this... Looking at architecture board, this hold got pretty few comments there.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-26-2012 09:24 PM]
02-26-2012 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Copycat Contest Compilation (+1)  
Right, I liked this hold too. I stalled out on both Doom's and Rheb's levels, and it looks like I never made it to Penwielder's for some reason, which is unfortunate. Maybe I should pick it back up.

02-26-2012 at 09:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Copycat Contest Compilation (February 2010 Contest Compilation) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com