Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Rosebud Museum (Prepare to be en-cultured)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (6 votes)
σ 1.41
Author Name:noma
Submitted By:noma
Hold Name:Rosebud Museum
Theme:Prepare to be en-cultured
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:39
Number of Monsters:275
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:13 (+13 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Rosebud Museum.hold (41.6 KB)
Downloaded 969 times.
License: Other
icon Rosebud Museum  
Beethro reluctantly visits the Rosebud Museum of Culture and Leisure, but finds that he won't be able to leave until his appreciation for culture has been refined to the exacting, and somewhat unusual, standards of the museum’s architect. As you can imagine, Beethro’s not too happy about that.

This is a short, non-linear hold with lots of optimizing potential. It contains easy to medium difficulty puzzles linked by a silly theme. Many thanks to beta-testers Dischorran, Blondbeard, Penwielder, BoyBlue, Tahnan and Syntax. Their patience with a newbie architect, their comments, criticism, suggestions and ferreting out of US's were all very much appreciated.
07-04-2010 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Rosebud Museum (0)  
Well, I never thought I would build a hold as I didn't think of myself as an architect, but after almost 4 years of playing--lo and behold!--I finally got the urge. The process was interesting, challenging, and actually a lot of fun. As well as the beta-testers mentioned above, I want to thank HA's jbluestein, Tim, Chaco and Blondbeard, as well as Schik, for their helpfulness, for playing through the hold, and for their patience with some newbie flailing.

I hope you enjoy Rosebud Museum and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
07-04-2010 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Rosebud Museum (+1)  
Another once-innocent delver is drawn to the dark side! This is a quality hold with quality puzzles and quality text, and of entirely reasonable difficulty.

07-04-2010 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I have one question before I play this.

Is it his sled?

07-04-2010 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Mastered.
Overall, not very big fun hold with decent puzzles.
There are some rooms I didn't really like, for example Literature&Art 1N and Arcade 1S, but most of rooms were good. I also loved Arcade 1E and its secret variation, liked secret variation of 1N, too.

Good to see some scrolls reachable only by doing things efficiently, too(must say, killing tar mother within 2 spawns in Laughter&Wisdom 1S took some while to do).

Oh, and can architect please mark Main Floor 1S as unscorable? Thanks for doing it

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-05-2010 02:41 PM]
07-04-2010 at 11:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
This still appears as a beta hold for me...
07-04-2010 at 04:16 PM
noma
Jatopian wrote:
Is it his sled?
:D There was actually a connection: tenuous, twisted and ultimately lost as the hold got built, but that was how it began.
mxvladi wrote:
Oh, and can architect please mark Main Floor 1S as unscorable?
As far as I can tell, it is unscorable. Neither "Required Room" nor "Secret Room" are checked in the Editor. Is there something else I'm missing? (Also, I'm hoping a comma was implied between "not very big" and "fun". :P )
07-04-2010 at 04:17 PM
noma
Syntax wrote:
I remember this happening to me on a hold I'd tested. Have you tried re-downloading it, quitting and re-starting ?
07-04-2010 at 04:19 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
noma wrote:
As far as I can tell, it is unscorable. Neither "Required Room" nor "Secret Room" are checked in the Editor. Is there something else I'm missing?

Go to your profile, select "My Holds" tab, find "High-scorable rooms" there and tick Main Floor 1S there.

Since any demo which crosses master wall is rejected, noone will be able to get score in 1S.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-04-2010 05:14 PM]
07-04-2010 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Neat. More cool stuff for architects. Thanks.
07-04-2010 at 05:09 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
noma wrote:
Syntax wrote:
I remember this happening to me on a hold I'd tested. Have you tried re-downloading it, quitting and re-starting ?
Cheers... I deleted it and installed the one attached at the top (installing via CaravelNet would still give me the beta)...
07-04-2010 at 05:18 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Small typo in the first line of character text beyond the master wall. :)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
09-05-2010 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Rosebud Museum (+2)  
A version with the typo fixed has been approved and uploaded.

10-06-2010 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Rosebud Museum (+3)  
This is brilliant!

A small/medium non-linear hold with a mix of puzzles and lots of dialogue & story.

The puzzles themselves are very well constructed - some are a bit tricky but the solutions can generally be identified without too much trouble. There are also some very good arcade representations - I loved the Pac-Man room. However, what really stands out for me is that the puzzles themselves are wrapped in a delightfully aesthetic hold full of detail - I spent about 5 minutes at the start checking out all the scrolls and conversations before I even reached the first puzzle rooms and even when you've cleared the hold there's a whole lot more in the post mastery section as well.

There are a number of art references here - I got the Pollock & Munch ones although I suspect there are a few more (if anyone would like to share these I would appreciate it, and I'll throw a couple of mod points at you as well!)

Overall I thought this was a fantastic hold - fully deserving of it's SAPCA. Add in dialogue that could come from an official hold and the fact that it's a debut hold for noma and I'm going to have to give this the full whack. Well done noma - please make more holds!

My verdict:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 10

Progress - Gavin G
12-06-2011 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
icon Re: Rosebud Museum (+3)  
Every player of DROD should download this hold.

You don't actually have to solve it if you don't want to, but the hold is so delightfully designed that it's at least worth spending five minutes looking at. The aesthetics are wonderful and there's plenty of amusing text to be read (no real story, mind). Importantly, neither of these intrude on the puzzles themselves, so you can check out the niceties freely and there's no distractions or confusion once you put your thinking cap on. Although that's not to say that the puzzle layouts themselves aren't interesting, because The Arcade is pretty cool too.

Most of the puzzles are of average difficulty and are satisfactory to solve. There are, however, a few which might feel unpleasantly fidgety to pull off even after figuring out the general idea. There's also two remote manipulations of adders that can quite frankly go [verb] their [adjective] [noun] with a [noun]-[noun] given how frustrating I found them. I still haven't managed the last bit of Arcade 1S.

The hold is nonlinear though, so don't let that stop you enjoying the rest of it!

05-01-2013 at 10:39 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Rosebud Museum (Prepare to be en-cultured) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com