Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Secret Message (Our Contest for August)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
IP: Logged
icon Re: Secret Message (+1)  
Samuel's Code Encryption Entry

'Tharperarpe warpas, arponcarpe arpuparpon arpa tarpimarpe, arpa plarpace wharperarpe trarpoglarpodytarpes larpived arpin parpearpacarpe. Arpit warpas darpirty, farpilthy, arpand wharpolly arpunsarpanarpitarpary. Tharpus, tharpe trarpoglarpodytarpes darpid carponsarpidarper charpangarping, barput harpavarping arponly darpiscarpovarperarped sqarpuarpararpe wharpearpels, marpovarping warpas arpa rarpatharper parpaarpinfarpul prarpocarpess,'

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 08-21-2009 09:58 AM]
08-20-2009 at 07:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Secret Message (0)  
Samuel wrote:
...rarptharper parparpinfarpul...
I think you meant "...rarpatharper parpaarpinfarpul..." there.
08-20-2009 at 07:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854

File: qwerty keyboard.pdf (173 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain

The (updated) Qwerty Method

5Gynd34f3d\~s2qzxw*<~\9lh^#d3d~\7j0:9lh^~\zq~\5g8kj&d3<*\~qz_0:o>zqd#3d~\2syn3d4fd3~\5gf49ltbo>9lec6hg53dwx\~>ok8f$d3ec~\k8h^\~0:3dqzd#d3>(\~K85g~\2szqxw~\eck84fg5h6<*~\vr8k>o5gynh6*>~\zqh*ec\~2syn9l>oo>h6\~j7^hxwzq^hk85gzq4fh6>(\~5Gnyj7wx<*~\g5yn3d~\5gf49lbto>9lceh6g5d3xw\~cek8ec\~d#9l^hwxk8ced3f4~\#dnyzqh^bt8k^hbt*>\~g%7j5g~\ynzqf$8kh^tb~\l9^h>oh6~\ec8kxwd#9lf$3d4f3dce\~xw1aj7zq4f3d\~s2nyd33d>owx<*~\&j9lf$8kh^tb~\s2zqxw\~zq\~f4zq5gnyd3f4~\0:zq8kh^rv7jo>~\0:4fl9d#d3wxxw>(

Step 1: Draw a diagonal through the letters on the qwerty keyboard as shown in the attachment (which I will add when this is public).

Or as an example draw a line down through !1qaz which then wraps back on itself. Each diagonal section stands alone except the end which goes to the space bar and then back to ~.

Step 2: Each letter or symbol is made up of 2 symbols each, look along the diagonal line for the symbol or letter adjacent to it. These two symbols can be in any order you like except when you code the letter p, see step 3 below.

Examples: g is represented by either bt or tb both are accurate.

Remember the line wraps around. So the letter "x" is represented by either s@ or @s

Punctuation is just like a letter. So, period is represented by <* or *<

Step 3: Show it is a Capital letter by capitlizing one of the 2 symbols that represent it. It does not have to be the first letter. The only exception is the letter "P" which is only adjacent to symbols which do not reflect capitalzation so for p there is a special rule. If the zero is first is is lower case if the simi-colon is first then it is a capatial P.

Step 4: Seperate each word by either \~ or ~\ the space falls between them.

Fixed the errors Tahnan pointed out plus a couple more, thanks Tahnan.

[Last edited by techant at 08-28-2009 11:38 PM : added keyboard img in pdf]
08-20-2009 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Vacation row

[%y343 2qwk 9hd3 709h q 58j3k q 0oqd3 2y343 549to9e653w o8f3e 8h 03qd3l *5 2qw e8456k r8o5y6k qhe 2y9oo6 7hwqh85q46l %y7wk 5y3 549to9e653w e8e d9hw8e34 dyqht8htk g75 yqf8ht 9ho6 e8wd9f343e w17q43 2y33owk j9f8ht 2qw q 4q5y34 0q8hr7o 049d3wwl[

Type as if on a qwerty keyboard, but shift the keys up by one row. To decode, place your hands down one row and retype the message.

[Last edited by coppro at 08-23-2009 04:06 AM : Edits due to Tahnan]
08-22-2009 at 07:08 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Secret Message (+2)  
coppro wrote:
Vacation row

[&t343 2qwk 9fd3 709j q 58j3k q 0oqd3 2y343 549to9e653w o8f3e 8h 03qd3l *5 2qw e8457k r8o5y6k qhe 2y9oo6 7hwqh85q46l %y7wk 5y3 549to9e653w e8e d9hw8e34 dyqht8htk g75 yqf8ht 9ho6 e8wd9f343e w17q43 2y33owk j9f8ht 2qw q 4q5y34 0q8hr7o 049d3ww[
I suspect you meant to start with [%y343 2qwk 9hd3 709h, that there's an "l" missing from the last word, and that "e8457k" should be e8456k.

Ever-helpfully, Tahnan.
08-22-2009 at 08:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Secret Message (+3)  
techant wrote:

The Qwerty Method
This one was a little dizzying, but if I have it right, you've omitted the "o" in "upon" and the second "o" in the second occurrence of "troglodytes", and I think you might have misencoded the fifth letters of "peace" and "process". And maybe the last letter of "having"?

(And can you tell that I proofread puzzles professionally?)
08-22-2009 at 08:37 AM
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
Wow Tahnan, you're really good at cracking codes. Isn't there a job in the military for cracking intercepted scrambled codes from the enemy? Might we see Tahnan working for the U.S. Army Intelligence Division?

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
08-22-2009 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Secret Message (+3)  
I am not allowed to truthfully tell you that I already work for the U.S. Army Intelligence Division. In no way, in fact, do I work for any governmental agency. At all.
08-22-2009 at 08:33 PM
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
I hope Notepad counts as doing it by hand.
This shouldn't be too hard for Tahnan. :)

Stew's Complete Mess
WTOWW AP.PZ ,VFJY ZTNYP NPVOR RFNYM TEGSN RTMOR TNWWT PMTLR Z,TBZ OJJWZ FWLWV TVOYL LMMZI OEWPP MNMNW NMMYP YGZIW NBBFF VWBZW SMBFT LGYRB BRSSW ZTYKB WZ.NP LBNHR TNGZL ,YCTV Z,WET LOTAY MKBE, LVSMS ODLWW OGERW BKTYE NMR,B L,WBJ KOMZB YOEKK M

I just realised that I forgot the final full stop but I can't be bothered to code it all over again. :P
Hope it doesn't matter.
Solution:
Click here to view the secret text

08-23-2009 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
Ad-Hoc Shift Cipher

uY,qROHhWVSDqPtqhTEroLI.gPtspMJygDfGDzdEvWTJ lOzkKFyZOLwbTxXU,mjVzWyZXUcSPIiXUxcQGBA cHsiMHGDdNqngKygOJG kZzjOEeSNLIbFzonkaEifVJxaIwWRHlaX fFCeP,rWzaOLnRrbEmW,.yWNDAhEzeOurcMxspPxmLzrSGkKHzmdArSPIpQucRQNzkcHuXUNncZzwkH eFwtfCkUzqYVHyjImbQO

Here is a not-so-brief explanation of the cipher I thought of.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 08-24-2009 11:27 AM]
08-23-2009 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
Cross Shuffle

meaeticnssnarTenheiaeip tuvogc icehe etdo roby, thsdsad,rt.aivwpm dyn aiho,  aedr rea vs nw  tlg,lsr yIo wgt.ce usngldn uy.iw al  odaflioieopvfrgen  nTwosphn l eui tneirsshad, ysuiqaaha ,l cyn golot sdutpwhey ecsthc  hae,dl  olanert ererr i

This is a more "human-friendly" cipher, compared to my previous entry.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 08-24-2009 12:41 PM : Consecutive space should appear as intended.]
08-24-2009 at 12:35 PM
Fang
Rank Points: 175
There was, once upon a time, a place where troglodytes lived in peace. It was dirty, filthy, and wholly unsanitary. Thus, the troglodytes did consider changing, but having only discovered square wheels, moving was a rather painful process.

Keys Keys Keys

% ^^ # $ # = @ !! @@ = ( ^^^ ### # = & ) ( ^^^ = !! = % * &&& # = !! = ) (( !! ### # = @ ^^ # $ # = % $ ( %% (( ( ## ^ % # @@ = (( * $$$ # ## = * ^^^ = ) # !! ### # = * % = @ !! @@ = ## * $ % ^ = $ * (( % ^^ ^ = !! ^^^ ## = @ ^^ ( (( (( ^ = & ^^^ @@ !! ^^^ * % !! $ ^ = % ^^ & @@ = % ^^ # = % $ ( %% (( ( ## ^ % # @@ = ## * ## = ### ( ^^^ @@ * ## # $ = ### ^^ !! ^^^ %% * ^^^ %% = %%% & % = ^^ !! $$$ * ^^^ %% = ( ^^^ (( ^ = ## * @@ ### ( $$ # $ # ## = @@ ! & !! $ # = @ ^^ # # (( @@ = &&& @ !! = @@ = $ !! % ^^ # $ = ) !! * ^^^ $$ & (( = ) $ ( ### # @@ @@

On your keyboard, look at the numbers above the letters, and look at their shift. One symbol means one case down the line, ! being Q, @ being W, and two means two down, three means three, etc. Like %% being G.

I don't expect this one to be too tough, though fun.

08-25-2009 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
noma's cipher

MB_VOFSJWW;?OPZM"E"A.Z’TPHTR"AIYGSPZP’M?"TPZPYCZS_P(:_L_P’LH;"G.,’"LP"MQ".PDTAX_YR"FPDZA.Z’A?DL’,TP;M"ZM,TPZT.P(:HV",AIS’ZTDZZLNKAZMILAAZM"AZEG:VH?NZ_’A?D?ASHTLM."EPR:ZT:MS;TPII’PMYQMS;AGSVNP.MLSHR_L_?A’XIZL_PP:_""’TP?GQMS;A.Z’AYALZZM"EPYYDT;I"PYLHS_’LKXMSN?IHJ(PBN

[Last edited by noma at 08-30-2009 06:09 PM : secreted the explanation]
08-25-2009 at 08:28 PM
Tahnan
Fang wrote:
Keys Keys Keys
^ = $ should be ^ = $$; ( $$ # should be ( $$$ #; and, er, = &&& @ !! = @@ is missing more than a few symbols.
08-25-2009 at 08:43 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Tahnan wrote:
Fang wrote:
Keys Keys Keys
^ = $ should be ^ = $$; ( $$ # should be ( $$$ #; and, er, = &&& @ !! = @@ is missing more than a few symbols.

Also, there is at least one missing full stop, as far as I can tell...

08-25-2009 at 09:09 PM
Fang
Rank Points: 175
I made it fast this morning because I was late for college, I'll correct it tomorrow, as I have no time today; I just built myself a new computer desk and I'm tired.

08-26-2009 at 03:24 AM
shade1985
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
Shade's 25-minute code.
Thusly named because it did it on a piece of paper (and a text editor) in 25 minutes.

Sseco rlp, ufni arpe h tasa, r agwni vosml eehewrauqds erevo cs iydln. go niv athug, bnigna, hrc edisno dcisdetydo. lgor, eth stuhytratin asn yullohdw nyahtliy, ftr isdatw eica enpdievisl etydol goretr, ehewca lea p minato peucnso aewreht.

To decode: First, remove the spacing, and reverse the order of the letters. Second, space the letters as they should be spaced (1st word "There" has 5 letters, second word has 3 letters, and so on.) then switch the first and last letters of each word, skipping the one letter words. (Example: "Who I am" becomes "Wha I om.")

[Last edited by shade1985 at 08-27-2009 05:35 AM : Fixed error. Thanks, Tahnan, you code-breaking master.]
08-26-2009 at 11:38 AM
Tahnan
shade1985 wrote:
Shade's 25-minute code.

For isdaiw, I believe you meant isdatw.
08-26-2009 at 04:14 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
A Profreders' Dreme ;-)

their was, onece apon atime, a place were trogodites livved in piece. ti was dirty,
fillty, and holly unsanitery. thus, teh trogodites did considerd chenging, but haveing
only discoverd square weels, moveing was a rathr painfull proces

How to decrypt the text:

Easy, just ask a proofreader ;) That basically means fixing all the spelling mistakes, punctuation, and adding captials at the beginning of each sentence. If you don't know how to fix it, look at the original text for help.

(I can tell you that writing the text was a rather painful process.)

PS. This encryption is based on some PMs I have that were written like this and I couldn't understand it.

[Last edited by Tim at 08-28-2009 09:28 AM : a better explanation of the decryption method]
08-26-2009 at 04:48 PM
Tahnan
Tim wrote:
A Profreders' Dreme ;-)
This message will be revealed in negative 760 weeks, 6 days.
For Dreme, I believe you meant Nitemair.
08-26-2009 at 07:31 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Look Carefully

There was. once upon a time. a place where troglodytes lived in peace, It was dirty. filthy. and wholly unsanitary, Thus. the troglodytes did consider changing. but having only discovered square wheels. moving was a rather painful process,

Substitute all commas with full stops, and all full stops with commas.

08-27-2009 at 05:03 AM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Neather2's second entry, simple entry

ehert saw+ enco npou a eimt+ a elacp eherw sroglodytet divel ni eeacp? ti saw yirtd, yilthf+ dna yhollw ynsanitaru? shuT+ eht sroglodytet did ronsidec ghanginc+ tub gavinh ynlo discovered equars sheelw+ govinm saw a rather lainfup srocesp?

Changed first letter with last and used + as , and ? as .

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 08-28-2009 05:19 AM]
08-27-2009 at 06:33 PM
Tahnan
Neather2 wrote:
"divel", not "vivel".

[Last edited by Tahnan at 08-28-2009 05:50 AM]
08-27-2009 at 07:12 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
A Person Can Afford One Expensive Hobby

Please note: The only significance in the fact that all the Ls, and no other letters, are uppercase is to make them easier to distinguish from the numeral one.

jyr1L 4pk1a4p1c9zo 1asxzkryct4fs1d9zckszhdzpa0k
zcr1Ld2c0 gzsi0 1pdv17z06pkwpzc1t0
j6k j1ct4fs1d9zckdzde1pkzd1cmxzpdnzq b1cvwhzq17ps0dzke6h1dkeryr0sL o8hzqr1k1t3j1axzpg1sat17kxk

08-27-2009 at 08:01 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
What language is that?

Thereaw pyda so, tery nceu awfonda pona remb it pilde mea, fgu apl trazt ceewh ister reotr byten glodytesil yinge vedi pold nep se aceI. Ormen taw ye sid repollent rtyif, errhy lthya, gruwth ndowh perdw llyu puccha nsanitaryuTh. Aattji seth, teph otr aefyggh glodytesid carv doc blaidd nsiderach wwye ngingub, o tah sewgheng vingo art nlyid or scoveredusq eddrih areewh trmoo elsom, reg vingaw po sa gwnug ar kilpr therap yfor infulopr ightac cess.

Decode in two steps:
1 – Remove every second word and following space from the text.
2 – Switch each space, together with any directly preceding punctuation mark, with the last vowel of the previous word.

08-27-2009 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Tahnan wrote:
Neather2 wrote:
This message will be revealed in negative 760 weeks, 6 days.
"divel", not "vivel".

....I want to say that you're wrong, but i can't :blush

08-28-2009 at 05:20 AM
Neather2
Well, it's end.

08-28-2009 at 01:02 PM
Dr. Murphy
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 46
I was intending to finish this a few days ago, but my internet connection went out before I could post my entry. I also noticed a flaw in solving it, but it's a little too late now.

Fun with the shift key

"@)rah% @u@, !cn! @py! * @)ym%, ! !loc! @rah( @)galdiytra! @yve% (! @)yyc%. (@) @o@ ^otr@, !athl@, &n$ @lylh@ @snutarin#. @ho@, @h* @)gylduytre! !o& #asdene! !nognah*, @a@) *iniv& !ln#) $acviroso$ !rauq! @liyh@, !inav! @e@ ( !ahte@ @iafno! !rasycs@*."

For the moment, this is going to be impossible to solve without using brute force. I will edit this tomorrow to avoid being late for the contest. Sorry if this causes any irritability.

08-28-2009 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Heh, and I see one of the other entries got hold of my idea before I did ;) I won't remove my entry, since there's another pair (won't say which in case anyone reading this hasn't solved them yet) that are even closer in concept....

Addendum for anyone who's decoded my message (or peeked at the solution):

[Last edited by Nuntar at 08-28-2009 02:25 PM]
08-28-2009 at 01:50 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Please note a couple of corrections have been made to my code and explanation note since the hidden text was revealed. (Thanks Tahnan!)
08-28-2009 at 04:03 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Secret Message (Our Contest for August)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com