Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Phil's Dungeon (Puzzles and Combat)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.6/10 (39 votes)
σ 1.15
Author Name:Kevin
Submitted By:Kevin
Hold Name:Phil's Dungeon
Theme:Puzzles and Combat
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:9
Number of Rooms:106
Number of Monsters:2548
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:8 (+8 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Phils Dungeon.hold (46.2 KB)
Downloaded 3765 times.
License: Other
icon Phil's Dungeon  
I hope you have fun playing this hold.
04-04-2004 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: Phil's Dungeon (+1)  
Since nobody's replied to this, I thought I'd just post to say this is a superb hold. Level 3 is ingenious and contains the most innovative wraithwing puzzles I've ever seen.

04-17-2004 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: Phil's Dungeon (0)  
I'm stuck in 2N1W top left area.
the 2 roaches coming from up and down,
I don't seem to do it the good way
please help

09-11-2004 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
robin wrote:
I'm stuck in 2N1W top left area.
the 2 roaches coming from up and down,
I don't seem to do it the good way
please help

Click here to view the secret text

09-11-2004 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HappyMutant
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
I know this one's been around for a while, but it was new to me. That was an immensely satisfying hold - nice variety, and a lot of great puzzles. Three cheers for a hold well done. :thumbsup
11-26-2004 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 864
icon Re: Phil's Dungeon (+2)  
My review: Absolutely fantastic hold!

The easiest I've played so far, maybe (though that's not saying much), but the most fun. Offers an enjoyable challenge, and is seldom annoying or tedious. Sixth Level is a work of art, and I wish more holds had things like this Eighth Level. The only place I got severely stuck was missing the unexpected interaction in L9 1N 1E (see the Hints thread I checked).
03-12-2005 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I've completed most of this hold and I have to say that it's possibly my favourite hold ever so far.

There's not many annoying rooms and a lot neat tricks. It's also not too tedious to play unlike some other holds out there. That's positive too.
05-03-2005 at 02:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Great hold though I'm not a fan of level 8. Level 9 even starts by saying something to the effect of "I'm glad we're done with that boring, monsterless level". Luckily TripleM's OrbSolver program came to the rescue!
08-11-2005 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
janneke
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
:thumbsup :sneaky Jättehäftigt!
Great hold! I like the nifty little tricks that need to be used which involved a bit of brainwork. It's nice to see a hold that cuts down on mindless swiping.
One of the best so far!

01-13-2006 at 07:58 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Great hold! I for one thought that Level 8 was brilliant in that it had no blue or green doors and yet forced you to solve every room unless you cheated and used an orb solver and/or transparent tar. My favorite AE hold ever!

9 with 6.5 brains.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-17-2007 03:46 AM]
03-17-2007 at 03:45 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I have to say that this is an excellent hold. Played through it all just recently, and only had to resort to H&S a couple of times. A classic of the AE era, still perfectly cool now when played through on TCB.

The only flaw in the hold is probably Level 8 - the rooms are good, but figuring out the combination is not. Either way, I still give it 8 for fun and 6 brains.

03-28-2009 at 01:53 PM
dhill12
Rank Points: 12
Just finished this old hold and felt the need to say thanks to the hard-working architect (if he's still around after all these years).

Great fun, enjoyed the whole thing. Level 6 is an absolute joy.

11-28-2012 at 01:54 PM
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
Phil's Dungeon is a classic AE hold with great level design and enough polish to be worth playing if you're in the mood for reliving the simpler days of DROD. Each level has a strong theme that includes both monsters used and the room layouts in a way that meaningfully impacts the puzzles. There's a good use of space so that each puzzle fills up the room without being overwhelming in small parts, plus the minimaps look nice. Multiple entrances are used to full effect in a couple of levels. Even when there's a lot of doors, orb usage is generally straightforward and predictable.

The puzzles aren't especially creative by today's standards so you can expect to see all the usual evil eye masses, tar cleanups and trapdoor mazes (to name a few). The exclusion of the more drudging examples and overall shorter length than KDD makes this a 'greatest hits' kind of hold rather than one that's tedious to play, however.
01-22-2017 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
This is a fantastic hold. Every level has a satisfyingly consistent theme to it, and the hold requires a lot of clever thinking rather than the mindless sword swinging that is common to many other holds of this era.

The one complaint I would have with this hold is the eighth level. In particular, there seems to be an error on one of the scrolls that makes a certain puzzle impossible without guessing or abusing transparent tar or something of that nature. This error seems to be due to an inconsistency in room styles. I posted a "corrected" scroll in the hint thread that I'll link here.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6459&page=0#420865

Overall this is a hold that is definitely worth playing. This is possibly my favourite AE hold that I've played so far.

12-10-2017 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
pichutarius
Rank Points: 10
when i clear this hold, it send me back to level 9, is this normal?
09-06-2022 at 12:02 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Are you playing in Architect's Edition? This is a known AE bug that I don't recall having ever been properly addressed.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-06-2022 at 06:32 PM
pichutarius
Rank Points: 10
NoahT wrote:

yes i played AE. i thought there is a secret stairs leading to true ending.

thanks for letting me know.

[Last edited by pichutarius at 09-07-2022 08:40 AM]
09-07-2022 at 08:38 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Phil's Dungeon (Puzzles and Combat) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com