Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Holds Al Dente Ravioli League (A multiple question poll)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1Blorn Bridge8.0476190476191.557659736552
2DROD Tutorial7.76190476190481.7431433540689
3Confusing Hold 272.1380899352994
4The Exterminator Chronicles6.90476190476192.0680048333913
5Arcade Al Dente6.36363636363642.3460887091934
63 Course Hold6.18181818181822.1027333647673
7Bagel Strike5.0476190476192.2567610687758
8Trapdoor Maze2.71428571428572.7280353499814
3 Course Hold
Average Vote 6.1818181818182
Standard Deviation 2.1027333647673

Arcade Al Dente
Average Vote 6.3636363636364
Standard Deviation 2.3460887091934

Bagel Strike
Average Vote 5.047619047619
Standard Deviation 2.2567610687758

Blorn Bridge
Average Vote 8.047619047619
Standard Deviation 1.557659736552

Confusing Hold 2
Average Vote 7
Standard Deviation 2.1380899352994

DROD Tutorial
Average Vote 7.7619047619048
Standard Deviation 1.7431433540689

The Exterminator Chronicles
Average Vote 6.9047619047619
Standard Deviation 2.0680048333913

Trapdoor Maze
Average Vote 2.7142857142857
Standard Deviation 2.7280353499814
Total Votes 35 100%
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Re: Holds Al Dente Ravioli League (0)  
techant wrote:
Click here to view the secret text

03-11-2008 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Jatopian wrote:
techant wrote:

[Last edited by techant at 03-11-2008 11:27 PM]
03-11-2008 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
icon Re: Holds Al Dente Ravioli League (+1)  
techant:

03-11-2008 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Jatopian wrote:
techant:

And here I thought I was doing so well. Thanks :weep
I mod'd you for the help. Oh while I have your attendtion what did you think of the scripts I did to tell the story?

[Last edited by techant at 03-12-2008 12:44 AM]
03-12-2008 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
techant wrote:
what did you think of the scripts I did to tell the story?
I'm hiding this more to avoid influencing others' votes than to avoid spoilers.

03-12-2008 at 01:11 AM
techant
Jatopian wrote:
techant wrote:
what did you think of the scripts I did to tell the story?
I'm hiding this more to avoid influencing others' votes than to avoid spoilers.

I don't mean to keep this going but they played fine in my computer. Does the computer speed affect cutscenes?

03-12-2008 at 04:05 AM
Jatopian
techant wrote:
I don't mean to keep this going but they played fine in my computer. Does the computer speed affect cutscenes?
Not except at very low ms/turn. This's something the architect changes, with the number of moves scripted between actions and/or the ms/turn argument to the Cutscene command. The slowness I refer to is a matter of personal taste in perceived pacing, not problematic performance.
Alliteration, anyone?

03-12-2008 at 04:20 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, I played through all of these but will not vote as I can easily spend hours on a room which is completable in seconds. The reason I do this is because I want to optimise.

That being said, I enjoyed most entries but reading the posts above, I'd like to add that

03-12-2008 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
My Ravioli notes:

03-13-2008 at 08:48 PM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I suppose I'll post my notes now, although I had thought I'd save them for after the final. I'm playing the other league, not sure I'll finish in time to vote.

BbJ

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 03-14-2008 05:40 AM]
03-14-2008 at 05:39 AM
bflatjeff
Giving the DROD Tutorial a "funny" name would spoil the joke.

BbJ

03-14-2008 at 05:42 AM
techant
bflatjeff wrote:

BbJ

:w00t

03-14-2008 at 10:09 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Comments:

03-14-2008 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Wow, looks like most of the holds in the entire Ravioli League really wasted Tahnan's time.

But that's it. My hold in here (Trapdoor Maze) will not be put into the compilation for reasons that are too obvious for the eyes to read.

In addition to that, I will forfeit my 'rookie bonus' because 1, I am no rookie at making holds, and 2, I didn't do hard work in your eyes, why should I get a bonus for nothing?

Anyways, you guy's holds were a lot better than mine. I sucked at that hold, even though I thought a freaking maze would be a good idea. I hate my entry, and if I could, I'd remove the hold from the entries so that no-one else would have to waste time on it. I hate my entry, and I wish I never entered it in! Yeah, even I know it! :angry

03-14-2008 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
I did prefer the other league, I must admit.

Mr. Slice - may I suggest that you try to learn from others' comments. Perhaps next time focus on making one really good entry instead of two - it doesn't improve your chances except in the world of math, and there's a good reason calamarain's architecture guide emphasizes pruning so much.
When I started out I too was attracted to the editor, but I did a lot of playing and realized that I wasn't ready. You may wish to do what I did: Keep your architecture to yourself for a while, occasionally put out a few puzzles and ask people's opinions, to track your progress. And in the meantime, play others' work. It'll stimulate your skills and imagination, help you know what a player like yourself enjoys, and of course be fun.

03-14-2008 at 11:13 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Well, since it seems like the thing to do, I'll post my own comments as well. Rather than cite exact scores, I'll just bracket them into low (1-3), medium (4-7), and high (8-10) to not overly bias remaining votes.

03-14-2008 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
I have to say, Mr Slice "Wow, looks like most of the holds in the entire Ravioli League really wasted Tahnan's time."

It was a contest about easy to medium puzzles and I think Tahan likes them a little harder, like 9 to 10 brains levels of difficulity.

Jatopian wrote:
I did prefer the other league, I must admit.

Mr. Slice - may I suggest that you try to learn from others' comments. Perhaps next time focus on making one really good entry instead of two - it doesn't improve your chances except in the world of math, and there's a good reason calamarain's architecture guide emphasizes pruning so much.
When I started out I too was attracted to the editor, but I did a lot of playing and realized that I wasn't ready. You may wish to do what I did: Keep your architecture to yourself for a while, occasionally put out a few puzzles and ask people's opinions, to track your progress. And in the meantime, play others' work. It'll stimulate your skills and imagination, help you know what a player like yourself enjoys, and of course be fun.

Also I agree with all of Jatopian comments about your hold. That is why I enter so many contests. I have wanted to build a hold since 2005, but have not been ready yet. (and may not be ready for a while but I can tell by my score and comment that I am getting better, which is encouraging).

This is a good group to get the ruff stuff rub off by. Not that they are always gentle but they are honest, which if I have to choose, I choose honest over gentle. :w00t

I want to say you had me going for a short while on that trapdoor hold, that is why I almost gave it a 2, but I wasn't sure if it was just a missed attempt at a clever one room hold that took an hour to do or just an abuse of entering a hold. In the end I went with the second. You stood a chance if you had made the maze a little harder.

Don't give completely up on your attempt. You could have gone for the medium challenge level but with traps and misdirection, a room that kept you puzzled for an hour or just under but that left you feeling like you had done something when you were finished.

I say all that and yet I have yet to archive it myself. :blush I learned a lot reading the comments about my own hold. Like another on this forum (who will remain unnamed) I lean toward wordiness rather than brevity. As can be seen by my lengthy posts. :look

[Last edited by techant at 03-15-2008 07:22 AM]
03-15-2008 at 07:01 AM
Tahnan
techant wrote:
I have to say, Mr Slice "Wow, looks like most of the holds in the entire Ravioli League really wasted Tahnan's time."
It was a contest about easy to medium puzzles and I think Tahnan likes them a little harder, like 9 to 10 brains levels of difficulty.
True only to a point. I do like hard puzzles, but note that nothing in my own entry was that hard. (Er, was intended to be that hard. Sorry you found one of the rooms to be so!)

But more to the point: not counting my own hold (for which I voted a 10), and with one exception that I've already granted, all of my votes are within a standard deviation of the average. Always lower than the average, true, but not too far off from it, statistically speaking; indeed, discounting again that exception, my votes are at most 2, and typically closer to 1.5 or 1, points off from the average. Er, just to be clear that my voting isn't egregiously mean.

---

Incidentally. Can someone explain how it is that the first two holds on the list--3 Course and Arcade--have, as of this posting, 21 votes each, and the other holds have 20 votes each? Is that somehow possible? Or has a vote gotten lost for most of the holds (or counted twice for those two)?
03-15-2008 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Tahnan wrote:
Comments:

We're seeing that different people have different ideas of what makes a "fun" hold. That's what you get in this sort of contest. I really liked the Arcade and techant's story, and others didn't. In another context I might not have rated them so highly, and might have given more consideration to the Confusing Hold, which I respect but doesn't mean "fun" to me.

BbJ

03-15-2008 at 10:26 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Heh! Confusing Hold 2 was without competition the number one hold in this legue for me.
03-15-2008 at 10:46 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Hmm... I'm pretty sure I can complete most of the rooms in less than 4 minutes fairly easily. Perhaps my perception of time is messed up. And if the difficulty hinders that, then yell at almost every other hold that people rated high.

03-16-2008 at 02:18 AM
techant
Tahnan wrote:
techant wrote:
It was a contest about easy to medium puzzles and I think Tahnan likes them a little harder, like 9 to 10 brains levels of difficulty.
True only to a point. I do like hard puzzles, but note that nothing in my own entry was that hard. (Er, was intended to be that hard. Sorry you found one of the rooms to be so!)

But more to the point: not counting my own hold (for which I voted a 10), and with one exception that I've already granted, all of my votes are within a standard deviation of the average. Always lower than the average, true, but not too far off from it, statistically speaking; indeed, discounting again that exception, my votes are at most 2, and typically closer to 1.5 or 1, points off from the average. Er, just to be clear that my voting isn't egregiously mean.

---

Incidentally. Can someone explain how it is that the first two holds on the list--3 Course and Arcade--have, as of this posting, 21 votes each, and the other holds have 20 votes each? Is that somehow possible? Or has a vote gotten lost for most of the holds (or counted twice for those two)?

How did you see a difference in the number of voters. Are you able to get behind the scenes or just read the tea leaves of bar graphs?

Also, while I did get stuck it is because of my inexperince with those Aumtlich creatures. I just couldn't get them to move the way I wanted them to. I am still working my way through TCB and have noticed that I have been improving as I go. That doesn't mean it wasn't hard it just explains my problem.

My comment that you like then hardest of puzzles comes from my experince of playing some of your previous entries. They are ever so cleverly difficult. :lol

03-16-2008 at 04:55 AM
Tahnan
techant wrote:
How did you see a difference in the number of voters. Are you able to get behind the scenes or just read the tea leaves of bar graphs?
The latter. If you hover the mouse over the bar for each rating, you can see the number of votes at that rating. So for instance, hold the mouse over that flat little rectangle above the "1" in "3 Course Hold", and you'll see--apologies for giving away a small portion of the results--a "0" there, indicating that zero people have given the hold a "1" rating. (At least, in my browser; I'd assume in most or all.)

So I just totalled the number of votes. The first two holds are still one off.
03-16-2008 at 09:03 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
For me, it's the first three holds.

Bizarre.
03-17-2008 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
OK, the poll has closed, so I'll talk specific numbers. Here's what I see.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 <-- rating
0 0 2 3 5 3 3 3 0 3  <-- 3 Course Hold; total = 22
1 0 1 2 3 7 2 1 1 4 <-- Arcade Al Dente; total = 22
0 1 7 1 5 2 2 1 0 2 <-- Bagel Strike; total = 21
0 0 0 1 0 1 7 3 4 5 <-- Blorn Bridge; total = 21

And so on, with a total of 21 votes for all but the first two.

I can only assume that the poll was tabulated by Diebold. But in all seriousness, while I don't think there was any kind of cheating, I think there is a serious irregularity that I'd like the forum admins to look into.
03-17-2008 at 04:14 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
There does seem to be something going on, but I broke out the calculator and did some maths. Arcade Al Dente's currently in fifth place, with a combined score of 140. Even if we assume that the extra vote it got was a 1, that's still not enough to change the ranking - 139/21 is 6.62, still less than The Exterminator Chronicles' 6.9.

I'm comfortable enough with the results to start the final. While I agree there's an irregularity, I don't think it's serious. It looks like someone just forgot to finish voting.

03-17-2008 at 11:43 PM
Tahnan
Mattcrampy wrote:
There does seem to be something going on, but I broke out the calculator and did some maths. Arcade Al Dente's currently in fifth place, with a combined score of 140. Even if we assume that the extra vote it got was a 1, that's still not enough to change the ranking - 139/21 is 6.62, still less than The Exterminator Chronicles' 6.9.
Well, sure. But I'd like to know what happened, so that it can't happen again in a contest where the scores are closer.

It looks like someone just forgot to finish voting.
But that's not possible, is it? The scores default to "10", so if you rank the first couple and then submit, you'll still have voted for everything.
03-18-2008 at 01:46 AM
techant
This is exactly what I like about you Tahan you are such a stickler for the details. :D

First, I would have never known about that mouse over trick or what it meant if you had not laid it out. And it took some real work and fine motor skills to get the numbers to show up.

Second you are exactly right about the voting issue. We need to not give up on finding out how did this happen. Given the following:
If you are the author of the hold, please vote 10 for it. Please refrain from voting 1 for the other holds, because we'll catch you.

As a bookkeeper I know that a 1cent-off error is not a small thing if can mean a much bigger error somewhere else. In bookkeeping coding and voting it should be, "Not knowing is not an option".

[Last edited by techant at 03-18-2008 02:07 AM]
03-18-2008 at 02:02 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I found the problem.
03-18-2008 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Holds Al Dente Ravioli League (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com