Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central.
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
IP: Logged

File: FunnyHaHa.png (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 1257 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (+100)  
Okay, so who's the joker who's been modding random posts of mine down lately (as in "since yesterday")? :huh

EDIT: I see someone had to demonstrate the concept of uncalled-for downmods by modding this whole thread down. Way to go, sir...

[Last edited by Briareos at 05-17-2007 03:58 PM]
05-10-2007 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (+2)  
I had three myself. Notice the pattern?

Someone's redoing Maurog's old antiblowup campaign. I believe it's not Maurog anymore, since as far as I understood, he quit it at some point and had all downmods reseted.
05-10-2007 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
huh, well that makes me slightly sad that I just downmodded him 30 times. But not too sad. This $#i7 is getting old.

05-10-2007 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
But... I got a couple too, and there were no blowup smilies in the posts.

And stigant... Wow.

05-10-2007 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Doom wrote:
Someone's redoing Maurog's old antiblowup campaign.
Ah, but only 2 of those five posts contained any of those smileys...

05-10-2007 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
stigant wrote:
huh, well that makes me slightly sad that I just downmodded him 30 times. But not too sad. This $#i7 is getting old.
Yeah, but - what made you sure it actually was Maurog this time?

05-10-2007 at 02:02 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Briareos wrote:
Doom wrote:
Someone's redoing Maurog's old antiblowup campaign.
Ah, but only 2 of those five posts contained any of those smileys...
...ok, just my luck that those were the only 2 posts that I checked, and that all three of mine contained the blowup as well...
05-10-2007 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Nothing. And I probably overreacted, but it suddenly occured to me that 1. A lot of people found his campaign annoying, 2. There was nothing we could do to absolutely prevent him from continuing, and 3. The only way to convince him to stop was for him to suffer some consequences. This is the way the modding system was intended to work: reward people for contributing positively to the community, punish people for contributing negatively. Since the overwhelming evidence was that Maurog was directly responsible for this round, I down-modded him in retaliation. I'm sad that it wasn't actually him this time. Mostly because now there's some other moron out there doing this, and I don't have enough mod points to affect him/her. But I'm not sad that I did it. If nothing else, Maurog is responsible for what he did before (and should have been modded down then), and he's responsible for the copy-cats that come after him.

05-10-2007 at 02:15 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (-10)  
This is the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny
Upmods, downmods and explosions, as far as the eye can see!

[Last edited by Maurog at 05-29-2007 07:05 AM]
05-10-2007 at 02:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
@Schik: Might I propose a log file for the modding that's done, storing who modded what up/down when?

Just so you can check who modded what in case something like this happens?

05-10-2007 at 03:01 PM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (0)  
I'm down by three random posts myself?

:2evilOkay, now it's personal.:ranting

EDIT: What? Down by four?

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 05-10-2007 03:53 PM]
05-10-2007 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Sorry to double post, but I would recommend that an admin neutralise these modded down posts. If they are willing to do so, perhaps anyone affected could PM them asking for this to be fixed, because this thing simply isn't on.

05-10-2007 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (-1)  
Triple post...

I just noticed another mod down on me, within the last minute. Therefore, I'll bet it's one of these people.
Click here to view the secret text

Whoever it is better own up, we're closing in on you...

It may be jumping to conclusions, but I'll bet this is pretty accurate.

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 05-10-2007 03:58 PM]
05-10-2007 at 03:56 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I just got four mod downs too. This really needs to be stopped. They are old posts that either have the blowup smilie or a rainbow quoting.

1,2,3,4. :(

[Last edited by Jason at 05-10-2007 04:14 PM]
05-10-2007 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
You may be onto something. I know Maurog was against the blowup smiley, but I honestly don't think it was him this time. The rainbow quoting may have something to do with it as well.

05-10-2007 at 04:23 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I just want to say that this seemed to have happened for Vittro. I estimate he has been downmodded about 15 points in a response to him gaining 100 rankpoints and someone else pointing it out. I don't have a lot of mod points, but it sure would be nice if soeone could mod him back up again.

Am I the only one that finds it confusing with an active member named "Someone Else"? When I said someone else I meant someone else, not Someone Else.
05-10-2007 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Jason wrote:
I just got four mod downs too. This really needs to be stopped. They are old posts that either have the blowup smilie or a rainbow quoting.

1,2,3,4. :(

1st one has a blowup smiley, and the others contain triple quoting, I bet triple quoting is the reason why someone modded it down, I recently got two moddowns, and those two also contained triple quotings.

EDIT: Triple quotings and higher.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 05-10-2007 04:42 PM]
05-10-2007 at 04:37 PM
Briareos
Timo006 wrote:
1st one has a blowup smiley, and the others contain triple quoting, I bet triple quoting is the reason why someone modded it down, I recently got two moddowns, and those two also contained triple quotings.
Ugh... honestly, it wouldn't ever have occurred to me that those other downmods I got were for quoting... (when did that one ever become a civil offense, anyway? It's not as if any of those quotes was more than 3 levels deep...)

If someone really thinks he/she/it has to play quote police, could he/she/it at least have the guts to announce this? :huh

With, say, parking tickets you at least know what they are for, and who wrote them...

np: Adam Marshall - Ourstyle (Stadtmusik (Disc 2))

[Last edited by Briareos at 05-10-2007 04:43 PM]
05-10-2007 at 04:42 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Blondbeard wrote:
I just want to say that this seemed to have happened for Vittro. I estimate he has been downmodded about 15 points in a response to him gaining 100 rankpoints and someone else pointing it out. I don't have a lot of mod points, but it sure would be nice if soeone could mod him back up again.

I was also confused by this but then realized why. He was modded up 16 for the buying list in Delver's Arena, but when nothing was changed, the post was then down-modded to zero. (Here is the post saying that Stefan wanted to buy some walls. He then modded up the post.)

05-10-2007 at 04:51 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I got modded down too, so what?

Personally, I don't really care if anyone is modding me down because he is trying to censor me.

Everyone is entitled to mod me down if they want to, and I can understand that it is really nice having power over someone else, and I can understand some people might get offended because a blow-up smiley reminds him from home.

The best way to stop these things is just to ignore them.

Besides, does anyone really think that just because one mod another down the other person would stop doing something? I think I know who it was, and modded him down today, and he still didn't stop.

[Last edited by Tim at 05-10-2007 05:09 PM]
05-10-2007 at 05:08 PM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
*shrug* that is how the system works... for good or for bad.

The only I don't like is how modly old posts made years ago that nobody is going to probably going to read again get modded.

Someone is really dedicated.

05-10-2007 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Yellow_Mage wrote:
The only I don't like is how modly old posts made years ago that nobody is going to probably going to read again get modded.
It's not so much the modding itself that irks me, but the retro-ness of it, along with it being done in batches - that reeks of modding someone down in general while trying to cut costs as much as possible...

np: RJD2 - Paper Bubble (The Third Hand)

05-10-2007 at 06:56 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Read this thread and thought I would take a quick peek in my profile. Guess what - I lost a point on one of my old posts. I won't overreact as I perhaps did here, but I find it annoying just the same.

This is theft and theft is bad.
I - we - earned those points and they are being stolen from us.

05-10-2007 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Heh, anonymity is so fun. I wouldn't mind knowing who's been busy with his modding points, mostly to stop flaying the pit thing.

I guess it falls in the wider scheme of 'anonymous modding v. named modding', though.
05-10-2007 at 09:28 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Got modded down on a old Subterra post.
Maurog, why do you downmod people with blow up smilies?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-10-2007 at 10:19 PM
Briareos
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Maurog, why do you downmod people with blow up smilies?
Ummm... he said he quit doing it some time ago, but I guess it's got something to do with them being overused and taking up so much more vertical space when compared with other ones - at least that's the only explanation I can think of...

[Last edited by Briareos at 05-10-2007 10:32 PM]
05-10-2007 at 10:31 PM
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
Elfstone wrote:
This is theft and theft is bad.
I - we - earned those points and they are being stolen from us.
I think "theft" is an overstatement. How valuable are rank points anyway? It's pretty easy to identify the valuable contributors here without having to look at a number or rank next to their name.

No (useful) system is so perfect that it can keep a dedicated jerk from perverting it; I expect whoever is responsible for this abusive downmod campaign will grow up or get tired of it in time.

[Last edited by kzc at 05-10-2007 10:42 PM]
05-10-2007 at 10:39 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Not that I care, but these three posts are also vandalized.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 05-10-2007 11:10 PM : discovered another]
05-10-2007 at 11:08 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
You know, I am a lot more annoyed with people who keep bringing up threads about modding than the people that actually do the modding. Come on, its not *that* important. I really don't care if somebody is going around modding all of my posts -10. Can't we just go and play DROD or something rather than spending all day arguing about whos modding what?
05-10-2007 at 11:41 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I'd "QFT" TripleM's post but it would probably get me modded down (and I'd have a hard time complaining about it with a straight face).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-10-2007 at 11:58 PM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com