Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Cab driver's paradise (Screwdrivers, Planes, Dung....)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

3.5/10 (24 votes)
σ 2.57
Author Name:Mr Cab Driver
Submitted By:Mr Cab Driver
Hold Name:Cab driver's paradise
Theme:Screwdrivers, Planes, Dung....
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:43
Number of Monsters:2204
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+1 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Cab drivers paradise.hold (20.3 KB)
Downloaded 1343 times.
License: Other
icon Cab driver's paradise  
Play it and you'll have a lot of fun. You will screw screws and fly a plane. You'll get a lot of art in front of your eyes. You'll be astonished !
03-05-2007 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: Cab driver's paradise (0)  
Hooray for a Bad Evil Restaurant clone!

03-05-2007 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Screwdrivers, Planes, Dung....
Wow, that is an excellent reason to check out the hold, by itself!
03-05-2007 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Wow, it's like a "war" hold, only not any fun and with fewer checkpoints! The one consolation is that the four rooms behind master walls aren't scoreable, since you have to enter on a master wall, which means I don't feel like I have to play them.

Oh, there are some mildly interesting rooms (L6:3E, say; L3:1S captures some of the charm of the "war" series), but also a whole lot of boring.
03-06-2007 at 07:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Cab driver's paradise (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:
Wow, it's like a "war" hold, only not any fun and with fewer checkpoints!

And no duck.
03-06-2007 at 11:45 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I suppose it's possible that there's a joke that I'm not getting here, but otherwise I'm not sure what the point of this hold is.

All rooms are completable, at least.

I give it a 2 for fun and 3 brains, because there are a couple of nontrivial rooms.

Josh

03-06-2007 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Well, the hold isn't too bad, it's just semi-bad. Heh, I just now remember playing it on Architecture. I gave it a 4 with 2.5 brains.
03-06-2007 at 11:00 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Jason wrote:
Are there eccentric scrolls? Because I'm totally playing it with them, and it's unworthy of such praise without.

03-06-2007 at 11:22 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ah, a fine addition to the "random stuff placed haphazardly in a room" genre. And by "a fine addition to" I mean "yet another pointless example of".

What makes this hold especially irritating is that there are a few rooms in it that show the potential of being decent, if only some thought was given into them, and if they weren't stuck between so many random hack and slashes.

Oh well. 3 brains, 3 for fun.

03-07-2007 at 02:14 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Nuntar wrote:
Second Level 2N was the room that destroyed my will to carry on with this hold. But I looked ahead in the editor, and I have to give Seventh Level 1N the prize for Worst Room Ever Designed. Congratulations!

Actually, as painful as it looks, as long as you don't have sound, and mostly go through the invisibility potions..I've seen much worse.
03-07-2007 at 10:51 AM
Albert
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Yes, that room wasn't so bad. I stuck to invisibility potions except when I had to drink something else, and because it was easy to conquer quickly, I wasn't overly annoyed by it. At least it's the only room of its kind.

The thing that annoyed me most about this hold was that the 4th level still thinks that it's the last one in the hold (with all of its congratulatory scrolls in the last room), even though some more got added after it.

Still, fairly fun considering it was mainly a joke.

Jatopian wrote:
Jason wrote:
Are there eccentric scrolls? Because I'm totally playing it with them, and it's unworthy of such praise without.

You'll be wanting to look for a secret room on the screwdriver level then. :)
03-07-2007 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
It occurs to me that I could be a whole lot more helpful in my criticism than "wow, that was no fun".

So let's see. As hack-n-slash rooms go, I:1N1E and I:2N1W are fairly interesting. I:Entrance and I:1N, on the other hand, are fairly mindless; there's pretty much one thing to do, and it's a small variation on "walk in a straight line".

That kind of variation is fairly typical for the rest of the hold: I thought II:2N was fun, but the two rooms north of it were more or less "head north, swinging appropriately"; level 3 had some interesting horde-management puzzles, but level 5 was just a whole lot of "head north up the screen, stabbing as you go".

And, yes, VII:1N was just plain irritating. The basic strategy in this room is just "walk in, stab everything, walk out", and the addition of hundreds of potions only made it take twice as long as you placed decoys and mimics everywhere, and not any more interesting.

Checkpoints have been discussed, but to be concrete: the checkpoints in II:1N are scattered wholly arbitrarily (behind force arrows? why?; two or three squares apart? why?), whereas other rooms entirely lack them, and one or two checkpoints would have been a kindness.

So, er, yes. I have to admit it's kind of hard to judge what you intended with this hold; certainly your feature requests have been of the form "I understand what DROD is about, and I don't particularly care", and perhaps that was the motivating factor behind this hold as well. But if you are trying to build things that are interesting and entertaining, well, perhaps this will have been useful.
03-08-2007 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
It's over. I think I'll curl up in a ball now. I don't think I enjoyed a single room.

12-30-2011 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
west.logan wrote:
It's over. I think I'll curl up in a ball now. I don't think I enjoyed a single room.
What part of "Mean of 3.7/10, mode of 2" didn't you understand before you started playing?

(Don't look at me; I'm also a completist. But, you know.)
01-02-2012 at 08:54 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Hey, you never know. Maybe he'd be in the 10% of people who thought it was a fantastic hold.

01-02-2012 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Cab driver's paradise (Screwdrivers, Planes, Dung....) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com