Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Favorite Webcomics
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
IP: Logged
icon Re: Favorite Webcomics (+1)  
To make a public service announcement:

If anyone was planning on reading Girl Genius now would be a perfect opportunity, as as of Monday all pages of the story (which is still ongoing, of course) are now online.

File under steampunk gaslamp fantasy. Contains action, comedy and people romping around in their underwear. And great visuals, of course. :D

np: Håkan Lidbo - Miss Transylvania (Dunka Dunka)

07-25-2007 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Favorite Webcomics (0)  
I also would highly recommend this comic. Very, very nice. Something for everyone. The Jagers are the best though. (Wish I knew how to make the special a with the two dots over it.)
07-26-2007 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Ezlo wrote:
I also would highly recommend this comic. Very, very nice. Something for everyone. The Jagers are the best though. (Wish I knew how to make the special a with the two dots over it.)
Well, you hit the "Ä" key on your keyboard of course... :D

Alternatively, you can just write Ä or ä in HTML generally, and also when posting here. ;)

07-26-2007 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Favorite Webcomics (+1)  
I highly - highly - recommend the radio plays. They're set after the comic, as self-contained stories, and are very funny.

07-26-2007 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
Hmm...I'm surprised I haven't seen (Actually, I skimmed the links, I may have missed them) Happiness & Cyanide or Toothpaste For Dinner. Also check out Toothpaste's author's other sites, Married To The Sea and Where are the dogs humping?
07-26-2007 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
roach strangler wrote:
These are funny and great comics. http://www.vgcats.com/archive/
just a warning, wuite alot of cursing in this one.

07-30-2007 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Briareos wrote:
If anyone was planning on reading Girl Genius now would be a perfect opportunity, as as of Monday all pages of the story (which is still ongoing, of course) are now online.
Ain't life great? I recommend a webcomic, and - BANG! - it's slashdotted (DRODed?) into (temporary) oblivion... :(

And there I thought they switched providers away from Notwork Solutions after the last time that happened... :unsure

[Last edited by Briareos at 07-30-2007 08:05 AM]
07-30-2007 at 08:05 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Briareos wrote:
Ain't life great? I recommend a webcomic, and - BANG! - it's slashdotted (DRODed?) into (temporary) oblivion... :(

And there I thought they switched providers away from Notwork Solutions after the last time that happened... :unsure
And I was halfway through reading it :(
07-30-2007 at 09:57 AM
Briareos
icon Re: Favorite Webcomics (+10)  
NiroZ wrote:
Briareos wrote:

And I was halfway through reading it :(
Well, I do have all the strips stored on my hard disk at home - I could zip them up and send you a link when I get home... PM me if you're interested.

07-30-2007 at 10:52 AM
Mattcrampy
They swapped away from Network Solutions, but swapped back because their new hosts didn't like their archive script.

07-30-2007 at 11:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DGM
Rank Points: 202
Briareos: Thanks for the Girl Genius recommendation. I like it. If only science worked like this in the real world. :P

Anyway, speaking of cute, hyper-intelligent girls: http://dresdencodak.com/cartoons/dc_013.htm

Takes a few strips before it introduces either Kimiko (main character) or a plot, but has some clever science/philosophy humor. And the artwork gets a lot better.

[Last edited by DGM at 07-31-2007 02:17 AM]
07-31-2007 at 02:16 AM
Mattcrampy
Dresden Codak irritates me. The panel flow's incoherent and, particularly early on, it's trying to be clever for the sake of being clever (and not being good at it).

Very pretty art though.

07-31-2007 at 05:58 AM
DGM
Rank Points: 202
Agreed on the panel flow being a problem, though disagreed on whether or not it's worth it.

08-01-2007 at 06:48 AM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
trick wrote:
I just found this yesterday, when I noticed it had been added to the Koala Wallop collective:

Rice Boy

It's great.

Just thought of bumping this thread to mention that Rice-Boy has ended. So if you've never heard of this epic story until now, then you might want to read it now. Shouldn't take more than two hours and the art is *stunning*.
05-17-2008 at 12:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Favorite Webcomics (+3)  
Now that this Topic has been bumped, I'm going to add some new webcomics to the list.

Digger by Ursula Vernon.
Unfortunately you need to subscribe (and pay) to read the archives, but the latest comic is always free. A genius story about a wombat lost in a fantasy world with talking statues, hyena's, and oracular slugs… Ursula vernon has a great sense of humor and superior artistic skills. Beatifully drawn in black and white.

Gunnerkrigg Court by Tom Siddell.
Surprisingly not mentioned before as it's rather popular. A tale about two high School girls, on a boarding school where weird fantasy and science fiction stuff blends seamlessly together. Excellently drawn and coloured.

Lackadaisy by Tracy J. Butler.
Grand winner this year at the WCCA. Amazingly detailed pencil drawings together with the thematic sepia tones of the comic and website are the first things that catch the eye. With a cast consisting of cats, the comic tells the story of a speakeasy in St. Louis during the Prohibition. Irregularly updating, but even filler art is worth waiting for.

Copper by Kazu Kibuishi.
Somewhat surreal and philosophic comic about a boy and his talking dog. Single page stories with beautiful artwork. Used to update only monthly and seems to be on hiatus now, but the archives are defenitely worth the read.

Ballad by Deadmouse.
Warning, contains some disturbing images! If that doesn't scare you off, you'll find a highly surreal comic drawn in a unique style about—and I'm quoting the author here: 'a little boy who was dead but now finds him self alive, much to the suprise of the little girl who made him'. Four finished chapters/stories at the moment; unfortunately I have no idea how or when this is going to be continued.

Kaspall by Lucy Lyall.
A murder mystery in a city where magic seems to be perfectly normal, just like that fact that people from other worlds sometimes appear out of the blue. A quite unknown comic, but it certainly deserves more attention.

Xeno's Arrow by Greg Beettam and Stephen Geigen-Miller.
A science fiction comic, which I enjoy reading.

Zip and Li'l Bit by Trade Loeffler.
Some funny stories about two kids on their nocturnal adventures.

Kukuburi by Ramon Perez.
Discovered this recently and looks promising.

05-17-2008 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Thanks, Jutt, lots of great stuff there.

It's not a webcomic, but it's on the web and about comics, so linky:
Jeff Smith: Bone and Beyond at the Wexner Center for the Arts, Columbus, Ohio, USA.
http://www.wexarts.org/ex/index.php?eventid=2371
A good video to watch in the middle of the page.

BbJ, not that Jeff Smith

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 05-17-2008 07:08 PM]
05-17-2008 at 07:08 PM
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
Somebody already mentioned Scary Go Round. Let me mention it again. It's good.

http://www.scarygoround.com/

Most of what I like has already been mentioned, but I didn't see Irregular Webcomic above.

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/

I use this thingy to keep track of what I'm following. It's free.

http://piperka.net/
05-18-2008 at 12:14 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Pekka wrote:
Most of what I like has already been mentioned, but I didn't see Irregular Webcomic above.

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/
Definitely. Especially enjoying Darths and Droids:
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/

Edited to add:
I just reread through this thread and realized noone mentioned Homestar Runner or American Elf. I can hardly believe it.
I think Homestar Runner is great. Do as the intro cartoon says, watch some of the toons, then enter the greatness that is Strong Bad Email. Pretty soon you will have (yet another?) crooked frame of reference and in jokes.
American Elf is... different. There's nothing strange about a cartoonist doing a daily comic, but James Kochalka's sensibility is distinct.

BbJ

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 05-19-2008 04:39 AM]
05-19-2008 at 03:13 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Is anyone else having trouble viewing anything but the most recent comic on the American Elf site? Its terribly slow and won't load most pages for me.

05-19-2008 at 07:18 AM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I have found a different awesome webcomic.

Look up freefall.

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 08-05-2008 03:12 AM]
08-05-2008 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Rank Points: 371
CONCERNED!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup
Concerned is the best!

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

08-05-2008 at 08:23 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The spitemaster wrote:
I have found a different awesome webcomic.

Look up freefall.

lolfurry
08-06-2008 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
I've recently become enamoured with Gunnerkigg Court, which could be described as Girl Genius meets Harry Potter. It takes a little while to get started, however.
09-15-2008 at 02:05 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
NiroZ wrote:
I've recently become enamoured with Gunnerkigg Court, which could be described as Girl Genius meets Harry Potter. It takes a little while to get started, however.
I thought it got good right away. But why, why did I have to start reading at 11:00? (It's now 2:40 am where I live, and I'm only about half way through. Syntax, can you teach me how to do it?)
09-17-2008 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: Favorite Webcomics (+8)  
Found two more
flipside and zombie hunters. The first can be described as a western interpretation of anime, and zombie hunters is well, a blood splattered interpretation of post apocalypse.
11-21-2008 at 10:42 AM
Briareos
icon Re: Favorite Webcomics (+2)  
Well, since I meant to post these here for some time I might as well do it:

* Nobody Scores! - A little webcomic about inevitable disaster
(in which often the whole cast of four dies, only to be reset with each new strip - but on the other hand you can read them in random order... :)

Also, "little" might be a bit of an understatement, what with the several screens many of the comics take up...)

* Subnormality
(titled "Comix with too many words since 2007", but what it's got in too much text it makes up in funny)

Oh, and one of my favourite German web-cartoonists is now releasing his

* Notfunny cartoons
in English... (Yeah, his English might have a few rough edges now and then but I find the cartoons still quite funny.)

Also, if someone is suffering from Perry Bible Fellowship withdrawal you might want to check out

* Truck Bearing Kibble

for something similar.

np: Sole - Dumb This Down (Live From Rome)

11-21-2008 at 11:51 AM
The spitemaster
icon Re: Favorite Webcomics (+2)  
Many a new ones.

The Phoenix Requiem

Bardsworth (He's taking a break for a month right now)

Earthsong

[url www.misfile.com]Misfile

Lots of entertainment here. I was also going to say flipside but someone got it first.

11-22-2008 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
I'm kinda regretting recommending flipside. It's latest page is such a BAD. JOKE. ARRRRRRRGGGGREREAFGGREFTGGARG. I'm tempted to recommend the authors euthanization it's so bad. It's physically painful.
11-25-2008 at 01:10 AM
The spitemaster
Yup, you are right. But how on earth did you get +8 for finding those two?

11-25-2008 at 01:58 AM
NiroZ
I think that it's due to this, as if your observant you can also see a lot of other +8's around.
11-25-2008 at 02:42 AM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Favorite Webcomics
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com