Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Vonnifa's Basement (A short hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged

File: Vonnifas Basement.hold (6.3 KB)
Downloaded 72 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Vonnifa's Basement (0)  
My other hold Gobrid's Dungeon was a good start with architecture, though I may have been too ambitious with eight large levels; each one focusing on a single element.

And so, I created a different hold, one with a single level and seven puzzles not focusing on anything. None of the puzzles are required to complete the level, but if you do not solve all of them, you will get a very boring ending (thanks to variables). There is a blue door, but it locks away the one secret room in the hold, not the exit stairs. Master the hold, you will get a different ending than if you had simply conquered all the rooms. I have finished all the required puzzle rooms, but I haven't yet finished the secret room.

The story is pretty simple. Vonnifa (Beethro's sister) needs a can of tomato juice for the salad she's making. Too busy to get it herself, she needs you to get it from her basement.

Here's the file.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-30-2009 04:57 PM]
06-24-2009 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
icon Re: Vonnifa's Basement (0)  
Have you playtested this hold yet?
1E: Once you have completed the room, stepped on the conquer token, the green door in the conquer token place won't open, so you are stuck. Either that or I can't see the way out.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
06-24-2009 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Samuel wrote:
Have you playtested this hold yet?
1E: Once you have completed the room, stepped on the conquer token, the green door in the conquer token place won't open, so you are stuck. Either that or I can't see the way out.
The closed green door in that chamber should open. Are you sure you have cleared out the whole room? If so, that might be an unusual bug.

Aside from that, I did playtest the whole hold and I conquered it. However, for 1E, I used a wraithwing for some of the goblin maneuvers. However, I never got that to work again, so I have an updated version that allows greater turning.

06-24-2009 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I can't see any game element that could possibly kill the un-reachable roach at 24,13 in 2S. Also: Why is your seemingly hardest room (1S1W) without any checkpoints whatsoever? I also don't understand what any light would have to do with my solution in 2S1E.

So far I liked 1E and 1W the best :) I kind of liked 2S1W as well, but it was a bit too chaotic and movement order dependent. Quite fun, though.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 06-25-2009 03:25 AM]
06-25-2009 at 02:48 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
1E works fine for me, and is a clever manipulation puzzle; the golems were the weakest part. Perhaps Samuel forgot to kill off the eyes at the end?

06-25-2009 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Blondbeard was right. I have to face it to you, I didn't test the whole hold. I know that truly goes against everything architecture stands for, and I'm sorry I literally wasted your time trying to solve a puzzle that is indeed unsolvable. The only thing I can do now is learn from my mistake and put up a new version tomorrow. This new version will have everything tested, from the start to the end.

That being said, you may now throw your tomatoes at me. I'm not kidding, you have full right to do so.

06-25-2009 at 06:25 AM
Dischorran
12th Archivist wrote:
goes against everything architecture stands for,
Inflicting pain and suffering? Not quite everything.

06-25-2009 at 06:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
My wish is to get at least one person crying through one of the rooms I make. One day.

I wish that man would stay away
06-25-2009 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Dischorran wrote:
1E works fine for me, and is a clever manipulation puzzle; the golems were the weakest part. Perhaps Samuel forgot to kill off the eyes at the end?

Yeh, how do you kill off the eyes?

John Lennon
06-25-2009 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
What did you think the mimic was for, Samuel ;)
06-25-2009 at 09:24 AM
Samuel
Using it to kill the serpent?

John Lennon
06-25-2009 at 09:57 AM
Blondbeard
Nope. You can just as well use another monster for that. The mimic is for the eyes.
06-25-2009 at 12:31 PM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
I don't understand the scroll at 2S1E. The light part is not needed to complete the room yet.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
06-25-2009 at 08:51 PM
Neather2
And how is possible to kill the roach on the plessure plates at 2S?

06-25-2009 at 08:57 PM
12th Archivist
Neather2 wrote:
I don't understand the scroll at 2S1E. The light part is not needed to complete the room yet.
Did you complete the puzzle? The highlighted location is a rather obvious hint about how to complete the room.

Theoretically, it can be done by dashing down to the chamber opening with the roach behind you. However, it could also be made into a trick where you couldn't conquer the room if you had gone through the room normally.

06-25-2009 at 09:40 PM
Neather2
12th Archivist wrote:
Neather2 wrote:
Did you complete the puzzle? The highlighted location is a rather obvious hint about how to complete the room.

Theoretically, it can be done by dashing down to the chamber opening with the roach behind you. However, it could also be made into a trick where you couldn't conquer the room if you had gone through the room normally.

Yes, i conquered the room without the green part.

06-26-2009 at 05:53 AM
Neather2
12th Archivist wrote:
Neather2 wrote:

And i still think that this is not possible :/ (2s)

06-26-2009 at 06:06 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Neather2 is right. 2S 1E is indeed possible without

Click here to view the secret text

More exactly, there's a unintended solution...

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-27-2009 10:51 AM]
06-27-2009 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Yes. The architect probably thought that a giant is needed to push the wall-attached plessure plate, but it's possible without it. Just becouse you have a speed potion :)

But still, is 2S possible?

06-27-2009 at 11:52 AM
Blondbeard
Not unless he has updated the hold, without saying so :(
06-27-2009 at 01:01 PM
Neather2
Did he?

06-27-2009 at 01:50 PM
Blondbeard
No. It's still impossible.
06-27-2009 at 02:31 PM
Neather2
Oh well, however, just add a hot tile. It's a lot easy.

06-27-2009 at 07:59 PM
12th Archivist
I have updated the hold!

A few things have been changed:

1E - Allows the mimic to face three directions

2S 1E - I don't care how the room is done

2S - Different second side puzzle. Still uses wraithwing maneuvering.

2S 1W - Different puzzle entirely

1S 1W - Unfinished, unrequired room

1W - I might have changed this from a less recent version

06-30-2009 at 05:05 PM
Dischorran
I liked the gray water from the last version better. I already commented on 1E, which was fine.

1S1E: Slayer manipulation? No thanks. Maybe I'd consider it without a timer. Yes, you're going to get plenty of conflicting comments here. Also, the briar grows along the water. If this is intentional, fine.

2S1E: The trouble here is that even if multiple solutions are fine with you, the room still strongly indicates that you're supposed to use the bomb-free region - since it's not actually necessary, the room *looks* broken. Without requiring that, using a speed potion to kill golems in normally inaccessible places is not a bad puzzle in and of itself, and otherwise, the room's OK.

2S1W: I like the idea of choosing between clearing tar and clearing mud (I chose mud, of course). Some might appreciate a vision token, though.

1W: Normally I dread these rooms, but the speed potion makes this one very easy.

2S: To summarize the conclusions reached by several people in chat: The roach puzzle is broken thrice over. Beethro can just step on the plate himself, fixable by making the door toggle instead of just open. Beethro can also lead the roach directly to the plate without using the wraithwing by going in via the northern orthosquare and out via the western one - are the orthosquares necessary? And entering from the west lets Beethro keep his sword. As for the goblin part, TFMurphy suggests that having that second speed potion by the goblin makes that part impossible too. Instead of the goblin, you might be able to make a mechanism in which you release a roach or roach queen which is blocked by the wraithwing from stepping on a pressure plate.

1S: Again to summarize others' comments in chat, how do you plan for Beethro to leave after clearing the room? Also, what's the point of the eye? Otherwise, it seems a decent idea.

07-04-2009 at 08:24 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I've tried this hold, and besides what Dischorran said, I'd suggest you to do two things:

1) As stated in the other thread, play your hold once before you put a new version here.

2) If you come across a room that even you don't want to play it yourself, then that room is probably not fun enough. Change it and test it afterwards.

07-06-2009 at 12:57 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Vonnifa's Basement (A short hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com