Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Gobrid's Dungeon (First Level Released)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged

File: Gobrids Dungeon.hold (17 KB)
Downloaded 95 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Gobrid's Dungeon (+2)  
This is my first classic DROD hold. It includes one completed level and seven uncompleted levels making for a total of eight levels.

The first level contain two "paths". I highly recommend taking the right path first, as I believe it to have lesser puzzles than that of the other side.

Enjoy this hold and comment all you'd like on it.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 03-14-2009 09:46 PM]
03-13-2009 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Gobrid's Dungeon (0)  
It would be nice to have an anyone edit version of this hold for testing.

Is Level 1 1N1W possible? I don't think I can complete it unless a raft mysteriously appears out of nowhere...

More comments after I've solved some of this.
03-14-2009 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
The hold is now anyone edit.

1N1W has been changed slightly. No raft is required for solving the room. You must think of all the ways to get waterskipper(s) to move down.

03-14-2009 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
You should use the goblin. While it is possible that you use a roach instead, using the goblin is the intended solution.

03-14-2009 at 08:45 PM
12th Archivist
Both of those problems are fixed in the new version. This version replaces the old one at the top.

03-14-2009 at 09:45 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Level 1 1N1W is still impossible. Now that I can look at this room in the editor, I see there isn't any hidden scripting that would resolve the two main problems.

Not only is there an unreachable water skipper nest, there is also the issue of the trapdoors just south of that nest. The player drops those trapdoors on his first trip from the west to the east side of the room. That makes it impossible to return west later, finish off the adder and exit the room.
03-16-2009 at 07:42 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: GD The Roach Stronghold.demo (12.4 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
And the Entrance is also impossible, as it must be solved from the outside. You can't enter from the west, because of the force arrows. You can't enter from the east, because the orb is on the other side of the yellow door. And you can't enter from the north, because of the blue door blocking the other side. Even if 1N1W were possible, the blue door still wouldn't open, because the Entrance itself is marked as a required room.

There are also some backtracking problems in here. I happened to take the west path first, because it the top post made it sound better. I made it all the way around the loop until the yellow door in the entrance stopped me. However, shortly after the T room, it because clear that I was solving the eastern rooms from the unintended entrances. For example, if you stand on the western green door in 2N2E, the room solves itself in 5 turns. And 2E is a major pain to conquer from the N green door. I felt like going back around and trying it from the east, but the force arrows in the Entrance wouldn't let me.

If I had taken the eastern path first, I'd be in worse trouble, as 2N2W is impossible from the east, and the yellow door in the Entrance wouldn't let me go around and try this room from the south.

I'm attaching my demos for what I've done in this level so you can see if I've done anything close to intended. I'm afraid some rooms that might later turn out to be my favorites (like 1N1W) are broken right now. Don't forget to play through your hold yourself, creating your own set of demos, before you put the next version up.
03-17-2009 at 12:19 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I've began playing this hold, and I like it thus far. Some small comments below.

2E: I can solve this by just waiting at the entrance and Ctrl-W-ing my way to victory, and then just rush to all queens. This could be resolved by making the entrance wider, I think.

1E: I have not yet found how to kill the roaches after the red door drops. Will get to it this afternoon.

Reading the previous posts I believe there are some impossible rooms around. I'll just play up to that point and post my comments here.

(Apologies if the room coords are wrong, I'm writing this from a school computer, where I can't check any coords.)
03-19-2009 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Gobrid's Dungeon (First Level Released)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com