Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Open room passage at" command (For some situations)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon "Open room passage at" command (0)  
In the present state of building things, a tile on the edge of the room will only let the player go the next room if the tile that they would "land" on is a valid for walking tile: Floor, trapdoor, etc. For situations where the architect wants to use build commands to make surprise changes to a level, this can be a real annoyance. The options are either to make it more obvious that a change will come later which allows the player to walk into the other room, or to do some scripting with entrances that just feels a bit off to play.

It would be helpful to be able to use a script command to declare that if there is a room on the other side, then the player is allowed to walk there, regardless of what tile type the player would land on by doing so. This way, if I want to do something such as eventually build a "new" bridge between two rooms in a certain spot, I don't have to have some bridge tiles on each side in the first place that clue the player in to something happening later on; I can just include with the build commands for said bridge a command that makes it possible to go through the tiles you're supposed to be able to go through after the builds happen.

Any Bad Architecture that could result from having access to this command is basically already available anyway (just put a level entrance that traps the player!), and we shouldn't be doing bad architecture anyway. I'll admit it is kind of a minor gripe/edge case, but if it's easy to do it'd be nice to have.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-08-2017 01:24 AM]
11-08-2017 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: "Open room passage at" command (+1)  
What about starting with the passage present and removing it on turn 0 instead (with a check to not remove it out from under the player?). Probably doesn't play nice with room previews, but at least it works for a quick test using walls and floors.

11-09-2017 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: "Open room passage at" command (0)  
Yes, I had that sort of workaround pointed out to me in chat shortly after posting this.

I still consider this a possibly useful option to have, though.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

11-09-2017 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Open room passage at" command (For some situations)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com