Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Unlock Editing Rights" script command
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon "Unlock Editing Rights" script command (+2)  
Right now, editing rights are:
-Anyone
-You and Conquerors (beat the hold)
-You and Masters (beat the hold and complete all secret rooms)
-Only You (hold creator only)

This creates an issue for architects who want to have postmastery challenges of some kind, but also grant editing rights. As one example, take jfflpnk; it has a metapuzzle beyond the master wall, and granting editing rights on mastery would let someone just look up the answer. Someone else making a hold like that would have to chose between having their answer available or denying editor rights.

However, "Postmastery" doesn't have a strict in-game definition like "Mastery" does, so it's not like we can have "You and Postmasters". So what I suggest is a script command that unlocks editing rights, and the architect can do whatever with it. This command would just set a flag, like challenges do, and make the editing rights available.

Maybe the option for this would be called "Unlocked by Script", and the hold would be automatically set to that if and only if you include the script command somewhere in it.
12-04-2015 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: "Unlock Editing Rights" script command (0)  
@mrimer - Could you tell me what you think about it? Would you be fine with me adding this to 5.1?

01-01-2016 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
I'd just like to add that this is something we really need for the Entry Point project. There is a lot of hidden/unlockable bonus content, and ideally we would like the player to acquire editing rights at the end of the bonus content.

It has been suggested that we could achieve this by having a secret room at the end of the bonus content and using "You and Masters" unlock, but I don't consider that acceptable. Each strand of bonus content (secret rooms, secret levels, unlockable levels, challenges) is a substantial achievement. Putting a secret room at the end of all things means that there is no reward for completing the secret rooms strand on its own.

01-01-2016 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: "Unlock Editing Rights" script command (+2)  
In general, I'm fine with adding new options, and I really appreciate your help in implementing and documenting them. Of course, we're trying to get 5.1 out the door, and it'll never get released if we keep adding new features every time we finish up other content. I'm worried 5.1 is getting bogged down by "second system syndrome". Getting Steam DROD to beta is blocked by the 5.1 release, so I'd like to wrap it up. If you'd like to add support for this within the next week or so, I'm okay with that.

UX consideration: since there isn't space in the list box for another option, I'd prefer to have this option appear below the others in the scrollable area, so the architect would have to scroll down to select this option.

Also, since this option requires adding new hold-keyed data to the player profile in the database, please be *very* careful and thorough in how you implement this. You will have to re-key the database ID when importing this flag as part of the player's data.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-02-2016 03:51 PM]
01-02-2016 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
I was entirely fine with using Only You in jfflpnk. If there were expressed interest in seeing how I did particular rooms or copying scripts for elsewhere, it would be much easier for me to put together something like the TSS element release than for not-me to make apparently significant changes to the software.

01-02-2016 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Bumping because this thread was recently made and is a duplicate.

(side note - if there is still real demand for that I'm fairly sure I can get it implemented for 5.2)

[Last edited by skell at 09-29-2020 11:21 AM]
09-29-2020 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 189
How about instead having an option for "You and people with the password"?

That would allow having a scroll with the password at the end of the mastery content, and also allow giving the password to HAs, contest organizers, beta testers, etc.
09-29-2020 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Kalin wrote:
How about instead having an option for "You and people with the password"?

That would allow having a scroll with the password at the end of the mastery content, and also allow giving the password to HAs, contest organizers, beta testers, etc.
We can do this already with forum support for attaching files to posts, namely password-protected archives.

09-30-2020 at 07:48 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
skell wrote:
Bumping because this thread was recently made and is a duplicate.

(side note - if there is still real demand for that I'm fairly sure I can get it implemented for 5.2)

The main non-hypothetical situation it would apply to is Entry Point. Otherwise it's just about providing more options.
10-02-2020 at 04:47 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Unlock Editing Rights" script command
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com