Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : 3 in 1 (Rooms with multiple solutions)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (15 votes)
σ 1.14
Author Name:Kieran Millar
Submitted By:kieranmillar
Hold Name:3 in 1
Theme:Rooms with multiple solutions
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:9
Number of Monsters:131
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: 3 in 1 RC.hold (11.6 KB)
Downloaded 665 times.
License: Other
icon 3 in 1  
Inspired by larrymurk's Easy or Hard ( http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=7556 ), but not quite the same thing, 3 in 1 is an 8 puzzle-room hold for TSS where each room is actually multiple puzzles, and a challenge is awarded for each solution. Can you earn all of the challenges?

Thanks to larrymurk and Red-XIII for testing.
11-16-2014 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: 3 in 1 (+1)  
This is a fun hold with maybe just above average difficulty.

Having three options for each room really is 3 times the fun!
11-16-2014 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Another cool and very funny hold from Kieran, even though it's small. There are plenty of good solution to find, some are easy, the others, not so easy.
Last but not least...
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 11-19-2014 01:29 PM]
11-16-2014 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Very nicely constructed, and does precisely what it sets out to do without overstaying its welcome. Quite nice for beginners and experts, I imagine: the former have three different options for tackling each room, and the latter, well, need to figure out how to do the room multiple different ways.

11-16-2014 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Very nice hold, and that last challenge seems incredibly difficult. I'm going to have to wait a bit before attempting.

EDIT: Meta Challenge complete! 9 fun, 6 brains to complete the hold, 7 for all three ways, 7.5 for the meta challenge.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 11-18-2014 06:00 PM]
11-18-2014 at 06:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384

File: 1S1W_US.demo (6 KB)
Downloaded 126 times.
License: Public Domain
Unintended solution for SW, reasonably-sized gentryii path.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-18-2014 at 09:59 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Confession time: I haven't really paid that much attention to the new challenge feature, because... meh. Well, 3 in 1 has brought me around to "Team Challenge". (For this hold anyway.) I really enjoyed working out all the variations for each room. My favourite: Mega Challenge. So. Much. Satisfaction. (And with only 8 rooms to solve-- not an onerous task at all.)

6 for overall difficulty. 9 for fun. I liked that none of the rooms caused me terrible frustration. Even when brilliance was lacking, puzzles seemed to yield to persistence. ;)
11-23-2014 at 06:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ivcha Pivcha
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 80
icon Re: 3 in 1 (+2)  
Really liked the idea with all these challenges, but it would be nice if there is some kind of reward in the first place, like some extra content (at least one more room as a bait to lure) for those who manage to complete all the challenges. Nevertheless, this hold deserves high rating.

Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup? ~ St. John Bosco
04-08-2015 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: 3 in 1 (0)  
Sadly it's not actually possible to do that, challenges are currently write-only. A challenge wall (similar to a master wall but becomes passable when all challenges are completed) might be a good idea for a future version though.

04-08-2015 at 01:48 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: 3 in 1 (+2)  
Pinnacle wrote:
Sadly it's not actually possible to do that, challenges are currently write-only. A challenge wall (similar to a master wall but becomes passable when all challenges are completed) might be a good idea for a future version though.

I think you could manage something with a scripted global variable. It wouldn't quite be the same since you'd have to have all the challenges completed on the same save, making it hard to keep track of, but it should work.

Here's what I'm thinking. Have a global variable (let's call it Challenges_Complete) pre-set to 1 when you begin the hold. Let's say there are 3 challenges in the hold and call them A, B and C just for simplicity. When you complete challenge A, have the script that awards the challenge multiply Challenges_Complete by 2. When you complete challenge B, have it multiply by 3. And when you complete challenge C, have it multiply by 5. (You can extend this just using the next prime number each time.) At the end of the hold, have door with a scripted character that checks to see if Challenges_Complete modulo 30 == 0. If so, the character removes the door.

You'd need to warn the player that they'll have to have all the challenges completed on the same save file, since that's not immediately obvious. Also, it would be pretty poor to have challenges in rooms that don't have seeding beacons or in holds that aren't in an open format where all rooms can be accessed easily.

I agree though that it would be nice to have a challenge wall built into the game.

04-08-2015 at 02:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : 3 in 1 (Rooms with multiple solutions) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com