Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Let's Do Some Writing! - Vote Here (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
15 - Beethro Travels8.751.5206906325746
23 - A Cry From The Valley7.93751.5599979967936
34 - Wraith7.81251.8445443204217
42 - Knight at the Theatre6.81252.0981762914493
51 - Roachlet4.31251.6851835953391
1 - Roachlet
Average Vote 4.3125
Standard Deviation 1.6851835953391

2 - Knight at the Theatre
Average Vote 6.8125
Standard Deviation 2.0981762914493

3 - A Cry From The Valley
Average Vote 7.9375
Standard Deviation 1.5599979967936

4 - Wraith
Average Vote 7.8125
Standard Deviation 1.8445443204217

5 - Beethro Travels
Average Vote 8.75
Standard Deviation 1.5206906325746
Total Votes 20 100%
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Let's Do Some Writing! - Vote Here (0)  
Note: 4 and 5 were untitled, so I just picked something I could associate with it at a quick glance.

Remember, this vote is entirely subjective on enjoyment value, so whether you take that from humour, punniness, nudity, or any other et ceteras, it's all you!

I can never get the polls to end at the right time of day, so I'll just go with the board default for May 31. Enjoy!

05-24-2011 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono

File: May - writing.zip (61.6 KB)
Downloaded 101 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Let's Do Some Writing! - Vote Here (+1)  
Entries!

(See, I can put them all in a zip file.)

05-24-2011 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
DiMono wrote:

Hurrah!

Now comments:

1 - This is mine. Absolutely terrible but it takes the letter of the alphabet corresponding to the number after the decimal point in Pi and uses that many words for that line as well. The only real "pun" is "dug-in, done-in" which sounds something like "Dugan's Dungeon", depending on your accent.
2 - Also mine, which I'm rather fond of, in an embarrassed sort of way.
3 - I wasn't really sure where this story was going. Maybe I missed most of the puns but I only saw a few.
4 - Love the use of songs and especially Shakespeare.
5 - This was pretty good writing. The imagery came across quite well and I like the "bait-attester" pun quite a bit.

*EDIT
Maybe I missed the point of the contest, or perhaps I'm just not catching the puns, but I thought "Knight at the Theatre" would rank at least in the top three. Too puerile? Too obvious? I'm especially surprised that #3 is doing so well (nearly as good as #5, which I thought was best). I suppose this gives me an idea of what is preferred though.

[Last edited by west.logan at 05-26-2011 01:54 PM]
05-24-2011 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Let's Do Some Writing! - Vote Here (+3)  
Voted, with comments.
I note that technically, containment of puns is entirely removed from the grading, despite the major emphasis in the initial rules. This strikes me as a rather significant problem with the contest design. But then, we're rating the entries, not the contest itself. Since I'm coming into this expecting puns, they'll factor into my "enjoyment" of the pieces, but I'll try to be lenient.
1. So this is alliteration, not puns. Nicely crafted, but not much to it.
2. Pretty solid. Might have been nice to have a little more in it beyond the puns, a few of which I didn't get.
3. Interesting, but a bit light on the puns. I get the sense that there might be some deeper stuff in here that could have been spelled out a little better.
4. Mine. Tragically, I forgot to title it - in retrospect, I would've called it "B3+". Basically a one-line idea with enough filler to sell it, or maybe not. Had my thesis not been written in a mad rush to graduate, I would have liked to do the acknowledgments in iambic pentameter. Perhaps more a parody than anything else - Homer meets Shakespeare with contributions by Carroll, Cash, and Hammerstein.
5. Why'd you have to go and enter? Technically essentially flawless, and very funny; its only fault, to my eye, is that it plays the contest a little too straight.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 05-31-2011 08:52 AM : Fixed reveal time]
05-24-2011 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Let's Do Some Writing! - Vote Here (+5)  
For your convenience (since I swear I myself have to look this up every single frelling time): to hide comments, put them in [unhidetime=Tue, 31 May 2011 19:00:00]...[/unhidetime] tags to have them revealed when the poll closes. As for my own comments...

The Roachlet: I'm not sure it's full of puns. On the other hand, I absolutely appreciate the cleverness of it, and I hope it doesn't go over too many people's heads. (For those who missed it, the number of words per line is 1-4-1-5-9, and each word starts with the 1st, 4th, 1st, 5th, and 9th letters.) So the pi-theming is nice. Even so, as a piece of writing it doesn't blow me away.

A Knight at the Theatre: It's sort of weird. The tone is a little weirdly inconsistent: "lepidoptera"? (The "moth-in-ness" is also a little oblique.) My main problem, I think, is that it's not so much a story as it is a series of puns strung together; I mean, it's got a beginning and a middle and an end, but it's not really telling a story.

A Cry From the Valley: I'm not entirely sure I get it. I kind of liked it, but it didn't make a lot of sense, and I think it might have been a little low on puns. (Is this a reference to how Beethro heard about Rooted Hold?)

Wraith: How can I possibly object to an epic poem, complete with kennings and alliteration? Even if the Homeric lapses into Shakespeare in a few places. And Carroll. And Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Beethro Travels: ...or, really, "The Riddle of the Bar", if I'd thought to give it a title. The night before the deadline I was lying in bed trying to find any inspiration at all, and I thought about the forum and the bar game, and thought, "What if Beethro encounters a bunch of people sitting around literally poking a bar?" And it went from there. Downhill from there, maybe, but there you go.

And, please, vote! Don't make me pull out the extended guilt trip again. I know this takes a little more time to vote on than the last time I tried to guilt all y'all into voting (back then, it was "for crying out loud just look at some pictures"; now you have to do all that unpleasant reading), but still, let's try to keep voter turnout high.
05-25-2011 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Let's Do Some Writing! - Vote Here (0)  
DiMono wrote:
Entries!

But now we don't get the weird phenomena where the last entry is downloaded half as many times as the first entry, as if people were exhausted after clicking two links. :P
05-25-2011 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
NiroZ wrote:
DiMono wrote:
Entries!

But now we don't get the weird phenomena where the last entry is downloaded half as many times as the first entry, as if people were exhausted after clicking two links. :P
Personally, I was exhausted after reading two words.

05-25-2011 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: Let's Do Some Writing! - Vote Here (+2)  
Well, it looks like the results are in. And the winner is... Tehnan! Congratulations, please step right this way to collect your 100 rank points and an item of your choice from the Prize Pile. I promise we've removed all the snakes; that lawsuit had nothing to do with anything.

Second places goes to Penwielder, who submitted the third entry, and third goes to Dischorran, who submitted the fourth entry. You may each collect your 50 and 25 rank points, respectively, in this secluded alleyway from that man with the hammer.

Sidenote: I think it's inconsiderate to have both "fourth" and "forth" be real words that have nothing to do with each other, while also having "forty" be a real word related to fourth (not forth, as would be expected), but to have "fourty" not be a real word. Further, "twice" and "thrice" are valid, but "fource" is invalid, and "force" (if we go the "forty" route for spelling) has nothing at all to do with multiplicity. Whoever came up with this system really screwed us over.

...what sleep deprivation?

06-01-2011 at 12:33 AM
west.logan
Congrats yo!

06-01-2011 at 01:24 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Tahnan wrote:
The Roachlet: I'm not sure it's full of puns. On the other hand, I absolutely appreciate the cleverness of it, and I hope it doesn't go over too many people's heads. (For those who missed it, the number of words per line is 1-4-1-5-9, and each word starts with the 1st, 4th, 1st, 5th, and 9th letters.) So the pi-theming is nice. Even so, as a piece of writing it doesn't blow me away.
Went over my head. Huh, neat. Still wouldn't have won, but neat.

Also, I hate you so much. You probably already knew that.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 06-01-2011 04:35 AM : Formattin']
06-01-2011 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
da rogu3 wrote
2 - my favourite, purely for the last line, very funny

I sheepishly confess that the "story" was mostly a set-up for the last line. I wrote that near the beginning of the month, one afternoon on lunch break and it felt quite rushed to me. I focused on the puns which apparently wasn't rated so much as story. I'll keep that in mind next time.

As for Roachlet, I'm glad you picked up on the pi-theme, Tahnan. It had one "play on words" (dug-in, done-in: Dugan's Dungeon) but even I rated it low simply because it wasn't funny.

06-01-2011 at 12:55 PM
west.logan
I had originally given a brief explanation in my original submission of "Roachlet" but perhaps in the interest of fairness, DiMono only posted the entry itself, which is fine. I didn't expect it to do well anyway but it was written so why not? (submit it, that is)

[Last edited by west.logan at 06-01-2011 01:18 PM]
06-01-2011 at 01:17 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I just wanted to pop in and say that although I didn't vote, I've had a really fun time reading some if the entries now. Great work everyone, and Tahnan's a worthy winner :)

06-02-2011 at 11:01 AM
DiMono
da rogu3 wrote:
That's a shame, I would have rated your entry higher had I known about the pi theme. The 'play on words' bit in the 2nd entry made me laugh, though :)

A slightly unrelated question for DiMono now - will there be an architectural contest any time this year? Looking at previous years, they seem quite interesting and I'd love to participate in one.
Yes, there will absolutely be at least one architectural contest this year. I lost a couple months on my schedule though, so I'm having to rejigger the schedule in a sensible way.

06-02-2011 at 03:59 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
DiMono wrote:
Well, it looks like the results are in. And the winner is... Tehnan! Congratulations, please step right this way to collect your 100 rank points and an item of your choice from the Prize Pile. I promise we've removed all the snakes; that lawsuit had nothing to do with anything.

Second places goes to Penwielder, who submitted the third entry, and third goes to Dischorran, who submitted the fourth entry. You may each collect your 50 and 25 rank points, respectively, in this secluded alleyway from that man with the hammer.
Thank you, DiMono, and congratulations to the contest winners! I really enjoyed the submissions myself. I've awarded rank point prizes. Tahnan, please select your prize. :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-13-2011 03:16 PM]
06-13-2011 at 03:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Let's Do Some Writing! - Vote Here (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com