Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (Loser's PRIZE!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Butch32
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 7
IP: Logged
icon Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (0)  
:w00t Dischorran's answer was dumber.

04-22-2011 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Butch32
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 7
icon Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (0)  
Here!

04-22-2011 at 03:53 AM
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (+1)  
Jesus tapdancing Christ on a pogostick bouncing on a biscuit

is that a thomas the tank engine avatar
is that still a thing?!
Anyone else remember Shining Time Station, one of the few children's shows to feature Ringo Starr and George Carlin?

edit: also this guy is nine

seriously how do we keep getting these kids, who keeps doing this

is there some elementary school handing kids pirated copies of DROD while saying GO POST ON THE FORUM it'll anger and confuse their resident troll

[Last edited by Banjooie at 04-22-2011 05:09 AM]
04-22-2011 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (0)  
I probably would've gone with an Inspector Gadget avatar at that age. If we had avatars. Or Internets.

Probably could've done an ASCII something or other on the local BBS.

04-22-2011 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Oh my god

Just like, an endless looping gif of Dr. Claw slamming the table
04-22-2011 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (+2)  
Hmm...this is all I could find. It's not quite as effective, is it?

04-22-2011 at 07:49 AM
Banjooie
I think we can all be okay with petting the Mad Cat.
04-22-2011 at 10:38 AM
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Dischorran wrote:
I probably would've gone with an Inspector Gadget avatar at that age.
Really? At that age, I would've gone with Aragorn or Legolas or the warrior/cultist/anything avatar from Majesty, a lame RTS that I thought was so cool at that age. My god, I started the whole nerd thing at a young age!

[Last edited by Rat Man at 04-22-2011 03:57 PM]
04-22-2011 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Yeah, but I /defy/ you to say you actually read the Silmarillion.

I think I was twelve when I pretended to read the Lord of the Rings--I mean, I thought I had, but I was finding it incredibly dry and boring and just skimmed things that didn't involve Frodo and Sam, because I thought 'this book is supposed to be about those two, why is it not'

...except I guess you're of the age you can claim LotR-fandom by having watched the movies?

I wouldn't /fault/ you, the books are goddamn unreadable. The world they craft is incredible, but the books themselves are just...wow. ESPECIALLY the Silmarillion.
04-22-2011 at 09:24 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (+2)  
Banjooie wrote:
well you can try defying me to say it if you like - I have read the Simarillion. :yes
... because I thought 'this book is supposed to be about those two, why is it not'
hmmm, not sure that it is supposed to be about those two. :no
I wouldn't /fault/ you, the books are goddamn unreadable.
which might suggest that over 150 million copies are being used as . . . paperweights? :~(
that's a lot of paperweights!! :w00t

04-22-2011 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I have read The Hobbit and most of Lord of the Rings trilogy. I say most because I think I might have skimmed some of the part between the climax and the ending bit in the Shire. I'm sorry but you are not supposed to have six chapters of falling action. I get it, these guys are exultant. Learn to trim the fat from your story already. I wasn't too happy with the plot, either, although it's been so long that I've rather forgotten why. I believe it had something to do with Gandalf being pretty useless.

04-23-2011 at 12:19 AM
Rat Man
Banjooie, I completely disagree. I did first see the movies, but now I'm reading The Felowship of the Ring and The Hobbit at the same time (don't ask why) and I think Tolkein's writing style is brilliant. And thoroughly readable. Everyone I talk to says either that his writing style is dry or that it's amazing. Strange.

04-23-2011 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Banjooie wrote:

I think I was twelve when I pretended to read the Lord of the Rings--I mean, I thought I had, but I was finding it incredibly dry and boring and just skimmed things that didn't involve Frodo and Sam, because I thought 'this book is supposed to be about those two, why is it not'
I learnt English in '95 and the first book I read was LoTR, and the second was Silmarillion. And my dog was called Frodo.
04-23-2011 at 01:40 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I read both the hobbit and the lord of the rings when I was 8. Yes, 8. I'm not saying I understood all the words, or some of the themes, but I read it. Furthermore, I then went on to read the Silmarillion. although that was over a stretch of a couple of years.

Also, I loved Majesty. Yes, the multiplayer was crap, and there were certainly some design flaws, but me and my brothers played that for ages. The only game our mother bought us of her own accord that was actually good.

04-23-2011 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
The fact is, Tolkien is like Orzeszkowa (Polish writer). Both of them tend to include far too much descriptions to be palatable for majority of humanity. The thing is, while Orzeszkowa writes only about 19th century Polish aristocracy, Tolkien got as far as creating a fascinating, new world which makes it easier to read actually.

The thing I believe is, if Tolkien was writing, using the same style as in LotR, about 19th century Polish aristocracy, he would be as liked as Orzeszkowa (and we really rarely like her, mind you). So I am not quickly going to believe somebody likes the style of writing, because the great story biases people's opinion.

On the other hand I loved hobbit and I really enjoyed Silmarillion, which was nevertheless a tiring lecture. I never read the whole LotR, I stopped at The Twin Towers, around the middle of the book when
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by skell at 04-23-2011 10:19 AM]
04-23-2011 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
My friends and I watch all three extended editions whenever we're all in the same city, we've all read LoTR + The Hobbit multiple times, most of us have read the Silmarillion, and I still say it's dry. I don't know the author skell's talking about, but I think that's a fairly good description of how it goes.
Also, I'm impressed by you, Syntax.
04-23-2011 at 09:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
I like how this thread turned out to be.
04-23-2011 at 09:09 AM
Syntax
I also just remembered I had a "guide book" to LoTR which I recommend to everyone who's thinking of reading it for the first time. The entire journey is mapped out in the book, with routes in red. She even worked out the moon phases and spotted a couple of inconsistencies within LoTR. Thank God some people have too much time on their hands - it really is a great book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeys-Frodo-Atlas-J-R-R-Tolkiens-Rings/dp/0049120115/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303568554&sr=8-2

[EDIT]

Just read the description and there are 51 hand-drawn maps! Nuts :)

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-23-2011 03:27 PM]
04-23-2011 at 03:25 PM
Banjooie
I think if you need a book to explain the book you're reading to you, something has gone horribly wrong.
04-24-2011 at 06:42 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Syntax wrote:
I learnt English in '95 and the first book I read was LoTR, and the second was Silmarillion. And my dog was called Frodo.
You didn't start with The Hobbit? Everyone starts with The Hobbit.

Freak.

04-24-2011 at 08:25 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
The part that is different that I like is that all the maps are accurate. Fantasy people like making maps of all sorts but it takes a week to cover the whole map and a month to cover a small portion. His actually works for finding out where the people are.

I wish that man would stay away
04-24-2011 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Banjooie wrote:
I think if you need a book to explain the book you're reading to you, something has gone horribly wrong.
I like maps and to have those + interesting discontinuity errors mentioned added to the experience.
04-25-2011 at 12:35 AM
Syntax
Dischorran wrote:
Syntax wrote:
You didn't start with The Hobbit? Everyone starts with The Hobbit.

Freak.
Obviously not everyone does
04-25-2011 at 12:36 AM
Rat Man
Banjooie wrote:
It's not needed. But there's a lot left unexplained, just like every fantasy. Only Tolkein actually thought of it all and explained it for obsessed fans who want to know more.

04-25-2011 at 07:10 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
No he didn't. That is recorded history. It's like you said that the Balrog wasn't evil because that was just Tolkein's opinion.

I wish that man would stay away
04-27-2011 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
I don't know what you mean.

04-27-2011 at 12:25 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Rat Man wrote:
Tolkein
The spitemaster wrote:
Tolkein
Small request: If you're going to misspell the man's name, can you please go all the way and call him Tnolkey? Thank you.
04-28-2011 at 08:33 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (+5)  
We have a set of Lord of the Rings books, divided into 7 volumes (the six books + an index) with a letter of his name on each spine.

They currently spell "Oinklet"
04-28-2011 at 10:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Jatopian and Dischorran's Prize (Loser's PRIZE!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com