Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Tower of Din (scripted monsters)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RuAdam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 157
IP: Logged
icon Tower of Din (+2)  
Man it's been ages since I've been around here. But recently I had some free time and an old computer, so I played some DROD. Replayed some of the official holds and tried out a few others. One of the other holds I played was Salamander by Jutt. I was quite inspired, and thought, "I could try doing something like that", so I started working on a new hold.

Here are the new monsters I came up with

The Controller
Click here to view the secret text

The Animated Sword

The Specter

The Controlled Golem

Well those are the basic ideas. The hold itself is pretty much just started, so I don't really have anything to show just yet.

The main reasons I'm still posting are the following.
One is that I don't want to abandon this idea, but if I keep the hold to myself while working on it, it might just happen.

The other is that I'd like to ask for feedback on the ideas. Like I said, the hold is just started, so if changes are to be made, they should be made now.
02-11-2011 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RuAdam

File: Tower of Din v04.hold (154.3 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Tower of Din (+1)  
Well I guess I'll post here what I already have.

There's a temporary level zero for level selection.

v01

v02

v03

v04

[Last edited by RuAdam at 03-10-2011 11:27 PM]
02-12-2011 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 628
icon Re: Tower of Din (+2)  
I've played what you have so far, and yes, I like it. I'm assuming the storyline--level entrances and such--will be filled in later. (The way it is now, it took me longer than it should have to understand the setting.)

The sword idea is good. Basically, it can move to one of the three squares its facing, it can only turn 45 degrees per turn (though it can turn and move simultaneously), and it won't move away from Beethro. It may or may not pick the square closest to him when given a choice, as demonstrated by Floor I: 1W.

The first level felt much plainer than it actually is, now that I look at it closely. It introduced the Animated Swords, but I didn't actually understand their exact movement until Floor I. I think some explanation would be good, but not an entire level; perhaps you could add a room or two on the south end of Floor I (like an entrance hall) and move the entrance to there.

Specific room comments:

[Last edited by Penwielder at 02-23-2011 05:28 PM : Spelling corrected.]
02-23-2011 at 05:26 PM
RuAdam
Thanks for the feedback. I've made some changes and added a few things, so here's the next version.

v02

Again, thanks for the feedback Penwielder.
There's one more thing. About the sword movement. The sword will always choose the square closest to Beethro. But only from the three squares it can move to. If you saw the sword not choosing the closest one, even when it could move to it, then that would be a bug. If so a demo would be appreciated.

[Last edited by RuAdam at 02-25-2011 09:54 PM]
02-24-2011 at 11:10 PM
Penwielder
Done. Nice work!

You're right about the sword's movement. I thought it was facing a different direction at the moment in question.

The content of the texts (level entrances and dialogue) is good, but we should go over spelling and grammar at some point. The setting makes perfect sense now.

Specific Room Comments:

Top of the Mountain:

Floor I:

Floor II:

[Last edited by Penwielder at 02-26-2011 12:05 AM]
02-25-2011 at 06:49 PM
RuAdam
Once again thanks for the comments.

I have problems with spelling and grammar, so help on that end will be needed. Especially since I tried to use old English.

I'm pretty ashamed that so many unintended solutions got in, so I'm posting a new version witch hopefully fixes those.

The next update that'll include a new level is still pretty far away I'm afraid.

v03

Hold file attached to my second post.
02-25-2011 at 10:10 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Tower of Din (0)  
RuAdam wrote:
I have problems with spelling and grammar, so help on that end will be needed. Especially since I tried to use old English.
RuAdam - I would be happy to help with proof-reading of script if you wish. :)

02-25-2011 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
I finally found the secret room on Floor I. It was a little harder than the original version. I can see the difference.

Floor II's lighting is good. It's more noticeable than Floor I's.

1N: I'm not sure what changed here, but it's still fine.
2N: That's better. I haven't succeeded at it yet, but it looks like it works right, anyhow. My old way doesn't work.
1E: Much harder now. Moving the sword's starting position made it much more difficult to trap it, so... well... demo attached again. I don't know if it's what you had in mind or not.

EDIT: Just succeeded at 2N. It works fine.
EDIT II: The stairs from I to II still end the hold for me.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 02-26-2011 01:15 AM]
02-26-2011 at 12:56 AM
RuAdam

File: Tower of Din script.txt (3.7 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Been busy lately, let's see now.

Floor II - 1E is giving me a hard time. That's still an unintended solution. Hopefully the next version will finally get rid of unintended solutions.

Also on unintended solutions. Penwielder, I have a vague feeling that you might have found an unintended solution for Floor II - 1N. Could you post your demo?

I'll try to finish with the next version as soon as possible. But unfortunately I found some errors in the script.
Firstly, while I made the animated sword speed potion compatible, I forgot to update the player tracker. (A support NPC that keeps track of players coordinates) The script has been remedied. This makes Floor II - 2N1E harder, but still possible. (In version 03, the swords will move toward the location you were on the half turn)

The second error poses a bigger problem. It turned out, that the script doesn't work as intended on room edges, because movement behavior is different than what I thought. In truth the conditions that make the swords behave wrong rarely happen. The only reason why I noticed was because the problem is more apparent with the second custom NPC. (The next floor will have a new type of enemy) But since there is still a chance for unwanted behavior, I can't let them be.
So I fixed the script and it should work fine now. The problem is, that I'll have to update the script for all the NPCs, witch will take quite a while.

On another topic.
Elfstone, I'd like to thank you're offer at proof-reading. I've attached a text file to this post with all the current text copied out, in case that would help. If you have time to look over it sometime I'd appreciate it.

Also on the topic of proof-reading. I think I recall that it was possible somehow to extract all text from a hold. Although it might have been a HA only thing. Does anyone know anything about it?
03-02-2011 at 06:10 PM
Penwielder

File: Tower_of_Din_script_quick_job.txt (4 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
I'm not currently on the computer that I tested your hold on, so I can't give you the demo at the moment. However, I had a minute or two, so I went over that text. By all means, though, I may have missed something. I know Elfstone volunteered, and I hope she still goes over it too, but two opinions on some little details can be helpful, eh? Besides, it was a very quick job.

03-02-2011 at 08:07 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
To export text, you need to set ExportText=1 in drod.ini, and you'll get a prompt to export the text file when you export the hold. It doesn't come out in necessarily the most helpful format or order, but at least it's all there.

03-02-2011 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Dischorran wrote:
It doesn't come out in necessarily the most helpful format or order, but at least it's all there.
Well, I wouldn't say that. It will export all the texts in the scripts, but not the entrance texts nor the texts on the scrolls.

You might want to combine the exported text with the file attached above.

03-02-2011 at 09:59 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Tim wrote:
Well, I wouldn't say that. It will export all the texts in the scripts, but not the entrance texts nor the texts on the scrolls.

You might want to combine the exported text with the file attached above.
I just tried it on Further Up and Further In, and it printed out the scrolls and entrance texts.

03-02-2011 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone

File: RuAdam.doc (26 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
I have proofread the file - just a few typos her and there and I've made a few suggestions re grammar. Hope this is helpful. :)

03-05-2011 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RuAdam
Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Thank you very much Elfstone. I appreciate your help with proof reading. (And it was easy to correct mistakes thanks to the way you made the file) I Hope I can count on your help in the future.

I finally finished with the overhaul of the NPC scripting system. I hope that kind of thing won't be necessary again. I took care to keep movement order the same, so gameplay should be pretty much the same. Penwielder if you get the chance, could you check if your demos from v03 are still valid? (They remained valid for me, but it never hurts to double check)

I'm posting a new version of the hold. On the surface it's almost the same as before. But the inside is quite different. Also there where some rooms that did change.

v04

Oh, and thanks Dischorran for the text export tip.
03-10-2011 at 11:26 PM
Elfstone
RuAdam wrote:.
Thank you very much Elfstone. I appreciate your help with proof reading. (And it was easy to correct mistakes thanks to the way you made the file) I Hope I can count on your help in the future..
You're very welcome and yes I'd be happy to help. :)

03-11-2011 at 12:10 AM
Penwielder
The only problem spot was Top of the Mountain: 2N1E, in which all the swords head for (9, 0). All my other demos work fine, with the obvious exception of Floor II: 1E, which I just redid. This time I was able to trap the sword as I think you intended.

03-11-2011 at 05:58 PM
RuAdam
Again I must apologize for not replying till now. I was quite busy, and sadly still am, so I don't really have time to work on the hold.

I did fix TotM:2N1E, and added a credits room, but other than that not much. Also thanks Penwielder for checking the demos.

So the hold is temporarily suspended for now. But I do intend to come back to it, once things have settled down a bit.
03-29-2011 at 07:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Tower of Din (scripted monsters)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com