Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Custom tiles and copyright... (I'm very cautious about copyright violation.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TheGreenPhantom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
IP: Logged
icon Custom tiles and copyright... (+1)  
Well, You see, I am making a hold and I'm making scripting in it. I want to try and make a character with a sword with the end, but a custom character holding it. Is this legal, because I am kind-of combining custom characters with Caravel game's graphics?

12-31-2009 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Custom tiles and copyright... (0)  
That's a really interesting question actually.

I don't know the answer but I would think that if you overlay the new character and keep the original sword, that could be seen as infringement of some sort.

Let's see what the copyright experts say :)
01-01-2010 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jutt
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Custom tiles and copyright... (+1)  
As far as I know what you're trying to do is perfectly legal. You may replace any graphics you like, be it fully or partially, as long as you hold the copyrights on the replacement graphics. You may not use graphics owned by Caravel to replace anything else in the game, because you'd extract and reuse copyrighted content. However, leaving the default graphics unmodded—like keeping the swords while changing the character tiles—is ok.

01-01-2010 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TheGreenPhantom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
icon Re: Custom tiles and copyright... (0)  
Excellent! :D Well, I'm now trying to make a more simpler hold (without scripting) But I hope this information will be of use to other people.

01-01-2010 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Custom tiles and copyright... (I'm very cautious about copyright violation.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com