Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : holding dungeon
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: Holding Dungeon.hold (21.5 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
icon holding dungeon (+2)  
This is my first hold, I have been working on it for a little while, and I need some people to test it. The first room is skippable because I am not 100% sure it is possible or not too tedious. Note: you cannot acsess the stairs yet that will be fixed soon also I am not 100% sure if this is the right file.
edit:wrong attachtment will fix very soon
edit: fixed

[Last edited by blorx1 at 11-02-2009 02:26 PM]
09-12-2009 at 03:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: holding dungeon (0)  
Sorry for the double post I am just making it so people are aware that I have the correct file now

09-12-2009 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dr. Murphy
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 46
Comments so far:

Click here to view the secret text

I've looked in the editor and I found some very interesting rooms. Nice work on this one! :thumbsup
09-12-2009 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: holding dungeon (+1)  
Update: the first room was not completable I fixed it so now it is I made skipping it slightly easier too update is in first post

Edit: Just ignor the prvious edits on this posts they dont matter but I added some more rooms

[Last edited by blorx1 at 09-13-2009 12:03 AM]
09-12-2009 at 06:45 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've played through the currently accessible parts of this hold. You've got some nice ideas here. :)

The force arrows on the west side of 2W both point east, so the player cannot progress beyond this room.

............. These periods are for you. :)
09-13-2009 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
blorx1
Drat! I think I posted the wrong version of this hold, either that or CSR doesn't have the most current version I removed the arrows and added some more rooms later thanks for your comments too (I may just make The entrance skippable)

09-13-2009 at 04:48 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Right, so I haven't played this yet, but from the comments it sounds like the most problematic room is the first room the player sees, which is probably not the best idea for attracting people to the hold. Might it be worthwhile making a new and better entrance room and moving what's there to a secret room?

09-13-2009 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
I am currently doing just that.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 09-13-2009 02:49 PM : forgot periond]
09-13-2009 at 02:49 PM
blorx1
Updated: The tedious entrance has become a secret.
I added a room twice south once west (I had a room there once it just wasn't great) But this new room isn't too good, but its ok.
Also once west has been made less tedious by adding fegundos in the large golem group.

Edit: There is a second level,but it is yet undeveloped please ignore it

[Last edited by blorx1 at 09-13-2009 10:17 PM]
09-13-2009 at 10:11 PM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
Those arrows in 2W are still there in the version currently available.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
09-14-2009 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
blorx1
This really make me feel stupid. Oh well, fixed and it was anyone edit so you could look in the editor anyway.

09-14-2009 at 04:06 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
icon Re: holding dungeon (+3)  
I've played the new version of this.

Time for some more checkpoints in this hold. Please add them in Prison Cells 1S, 2S (in front of stairs), 1S1W (by stairs), 2S1W, 2W, 3W, 1N3W, and 1S3W. The stairs in 2S end the hold. Did you mean them to go to the second level?

More specific comments:

09-16-2009 at 07:34 AM
blorx1
icon Re: holding dungeon (+2)  
Updated The second level it is still missing two rooms 2E is probably too tedious and in 2N I think I am to slow with orb puzzles so that if you are really fast with orb puzzles you could finish the room without doing the intended soulution
in the intended one the timer is very lenient. Also I am unable to change the entrance so that it isn't the entrance sorry about that.

09-30-2009 at 01:57 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I looked at the new version.

First, if you'd like to change the Entrance to a different room:
1. Place a new level entrance where you'd like the Entrance to be.
2. Double click the new level entrance Beethro and check the "Make this the main level entrance" box.

Regarding the changed rooms on the first level:

Second level:

10-03-2009 at 07:24 AM
blorx1
icon Re: Holding Dungeon (0)  
I've decided to cut level two off at what it was. And start level three many of the fixes have been included for the previous two levels. Intended solution for 2N was
Also the Thrid level is nearly complete.

Edit:fixing cell block 15 and removing US from it.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 10-20-2009 03:55 PM]
10-20-2009 at 04:50 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I started replaying from the beginning. Got through 5 rooms before I encountered a premature end-of-hold stairs and stopped.

Thank you for moving the Entrance to a room with a less daunting puzzle.

The new Entrance still has the exact same US it did before. I sit Beethro on the edge of the room by the exit, and send a fegundo in to activate the pressure plate. The fegundo cleans up the central area.

1N and 2S still work just fine. :)

1E (the secret room) has the end-of-hold stairs. You need to reset their destination.
10-21-2009 at 05:40 AM
blorx1
I've fixed the US but I am fairly certain there were no end of hold stairs, and if there were they are gone now.

10-21-2009 at 02:37 PM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: Hd solitary confinement 2E - fail.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Stairs where the destination has become unset (such as by moving the level entrance they lead to) end the hold even though the editor doesn't mark them with orange. You have indeed fixed those.

I've gotten a little farther this time.

Prison Cells

Solitary Confinement

10-25-2009 at 06:01 AM
blorx1

File: Hd solitary confinement 2E Victory.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
I have fixed most of the problems you have mentioned, And I just realized the stairs at the end of level two end the hold instead of leading to level three I will update very soon and also regarding 2E

Hints

Or you could watch the demo.

EDIT:have updated hold

[Last edited by blorx1 at 10-25-2009 05:23 PM]
10-25-2009 at 04:26 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Thanks for the hint on Solitary Confinement 2E. That was exactly my problem. I wasn't doing anything with the third fuse path that starts from the beginning.

For Prison Cells 2N2W, you still need to either fix the backtracking problem or mark this room secret.

I've played most of Cell Block 15 now.

10-26-2009 at 07:21 AM
blorx1
I have fixed most of those problems that you pointed out except in 1S because several things I must point out about it

1. The inteded solution is to use only your sword.

2. You can kill the adder enitirely with the hot tile if you know how.

3.I may have fixed this problem.

Edit:Also I know I just updated again sorry but I realized some rooms needed checkpoints

Also for 1W the skipper nest at 6,21 you need to

[Last edited by blorx1 at 10-26-2009 08:13 PM]
10-26-2009 at 03:53 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
blorx1 wrote:
Edit:what happened to my sig this is wierd. Also I know I just updated again sorry but I realized some rooms needed checkpoints

Also for 1W the skipper nest at 6,21 you need to
[secret]use your sword to stop one of the nests from spawning[\secret]
Because you didn't close out your secret tags correctly -- you used a \ instead of a / -- the remainder of your post, including your signature, stayed hiddden.
10-26-2009 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit

File: Hd Cell Block 15 1S Victory.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Conquered! (Thanks for the stairs.) :)

Prison Cells and Solitary Confinement look fine now.

Cell Block 15
I finally finished 1E. I was trying to run to the speed potion without killing any nests. Which obviously was not the smart thing to do. D'oh!

Also completed the new puzzle at 1N2E, which was not too hard.

There is a backtracking problem in the tarstuff rooms 1N1E and 1N2E. If the player conquers the room such that the green doors open, creates additional babies, and leaves without killing them, the green doors will be closed and the room will be unconquered when the player returns. The player could then be stuck on the wrong side of the green door. You could add force arrow passages or tunnels to fix this, or simply remove the green doors from these rooms. If you removed the green door from 1N2E, you'd need to adjust the path length to the east, so players couldn't "cheat".

For 1S, I'm not sure, but your comments may imply I'm doing something unintended. Here's my demo so you can check.

10-27-2009 at 12:16 AM
blorx1
I've fixed the backtracking problems, and prevented cheating although wouldn't it not matter because any player who cheats would have had to solve the room already anyway?

Also I fixed the unintended solution and I cannot believe I missed it. Also I would prefer it if the intended solution is not made so incredibly obvious by my attempt to fix it.(I don't think the intended one is too obvious right now but I may be wrong.)

10-27-2009 at 10:36 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
1N2E is fixed. :) The reason why you might want to prevent cheating is for the sake of highscores.

1N1E is messed up. The tunnels don't match, and they don't take care of a player who is entering from the north with the green door closed.

1S is hard. I'm still working on it.
10-28-2009 at 08:02 AM
blorx1
I have fixed both of those problems now it didn't take long to do.

About 1S

10-28-2009 at 02:28 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Okay, looks like you have a hold here. :)

The backtracking problem is gone, and I've solved all the puzzles.

Are you planning to add more levels or a story?
10-29-2009 at 01:17 AM
blorx1
I have decided to not do another level or a story, but I have made most of the rooms look different. I also added stairs to revisit previous levels, described each entrance agknowledged beta testers etc.

10-31-2009 at 02:35 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Aesthetic changes are good. I especially like the new look of Cell Block 15. But unfortunately, you've managed to make some rooms impossible. Always check your demo after you change a room.

Prison Cells

Solitary Confinement

Cell Block 15 looks fine. :)

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 10-31-2009 09:03 PM : One more bug. :/]
10-31-2009 at 08:04 PM
blorx1
I have fixed those problems.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 11-01-2009 12:55 AM]
11-01-2009 at 12:48 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : holding dungeon
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com