Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : DROD Survivor 2 (We have a winner! Read the final vote!)
Page 4 of 26
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD Survivor 2 (0)  
Awesome. Is Poom scored on bounces or score? (Both say 'your best').
02-12-2009 at 08:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
TripleM wrote:
Awesome. Is Poom scored on bounces or score? (Both say 'your best').
Good question. I will be taking the score, not the number of bounces.

02-14-2009 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I'm not a part of this game, but I would advise players to not submit their scores as .JPEGs, because this format produces artefacts that can possibly help you get away with cheating (because they can cover up subtle signs of doctored images). Please use a format like PNG or BMP, which will help make everyone else's jobs easier in the case that your images come under scrutiny.

Then again, we should be able to just assume good faith, anyways...

And I'm mighty glad I'm not a part of this. Tontie is really only for people who regularly type numbers with the numpad, and I'm part of that 0.5% that don't.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-15-2009 11:48 PM]
02-15-2009 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Thanks for the advice.

Why do you not use the keypad? I would expect you to be the efficient type, and the keypad definitely is more efficient when typing numbers.
02-15-2009 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Woohoo! Digression time!

Yeah, you could say I'm the efficient type. I am one of those people who actually uses Home and End quite regularly, uses both Delete and Backspace (depending on the situation), and sometimes uses Shift+arrow to select text. Also, for some programs I can never find in the Start Menu, I added them to System32 (so I can run them with Run).

So, why not the numpad? Good question. Here's three reasons I use the number line:

1) It is right above the rest of the keys, so I don't have to move my hand back and forth.
2) When I was really young and trying to learn to type, I didn't even notice the numpad existed. I guess you could say I'm a selective observer...
3) There's no worrying about NumLock.

And, believe it or not, typing numbers via the number line without looking at the keyboard is no more difficult than typing letters.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-15-2009 11:00 PM]
02-15-2009 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Hah, then there's me. I'm paralyzed from the chest up. The only muscles I control in my arm are my triceps which amazingly enough do allow me to poke keys using the pencil attached to my wrist brace. So I'm betting my team isn't going to see terribly high scores from this team member on this contest :D
02-15-2009 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I know you weren't complaining or asking for an exemption, but you've raised a valid point. To make things a bit more fair, could I suggest that instead of RoboBob3000 tossing out the lowest score for each game from a team, how about the teams submit what they think are their top 4 (from 6) sets of scores. Also adds a bit of strategy, as someone might have done really well in one game, but sucked in another.
02-16-2009 at 12:31 AM
Dex Stewart
Are we allowed to use the unlockable codes in Tontie? I wouldn't classify them as cheats, but maybe RoboBob would.
02-16-2009 at 01:31 PM
RoboBob3000
Larry - geez, I'm sorry. I hadn't even given that any consideration. I've given it some thought since, and I don't think I'm going to change the rules of the challenge. Survivor is a game where everybody works with their given strengths and weaknesses - there will be other challenges better suited to you and not to others.

Regarding Tontie codes,can somebody fill me on on what they are? Is there any on-screen indicator that you have used a code?

02-16-2009 at 03:43 PM
Dex Stewart
There are three codes which grant different bonuses in the beginning of the game. You get the first code by buying it in the shop for 80 coins, you get the second code by beating the first boss, and presumably the third one by beating the level 20 boss.
And no, there are no graphical indicators that you have used a code.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 02-16-2009 08:05 PM]
02-16-2009 at 08:02 PM
noma
After seeing Dex's posts, I took a look at the site. All the codes are listed in the comments below. So... either no one uses them (and we're all on our honour) or everyone uses them to level the playing field. I'm good either way.

RoboBob? Your call.
02-16-2009 at 08:38 PM
RoboBob3000
I say that we should allow the codes then. I'm assuming that these codes don't entirely trivialize the game or achieved scores. I'm not at a computer at which I can try this out. If I am off base with my call here, somebody please speak up.

02-16-2009 at 10:50 PM
TripleM
I'm fine with people using the codes. My highest score was codeless, and I don't think I'll beat it with one anyway.
02-17-2009 at 12:05 AM
Kwakstur

File: 7.PNG (60.6 KB)
Downloaded 496 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD Survivor 2 (+1)  
There are 4 codes. IMO, two of them can be allowed if we decide to allow codes:

8 1 6 4 7 5 2 3 9
(Highlight the secret text above.)
This starts you out with the copper hammer on level 1. This code makes playing without a code obsolete, scorewise.
9 6 5 8 1 3 4 7 2
This lets you skip to level 11 with a Silver hammer and a Feather. This equipment is slightly less than what you would have acquired normally by level 11, and you start with 0 points, so it might hurt your score more than help it.

Here are the two other codes, which you shouldn't use.
Click here to view the secret text

The first code there brings you to an untimed level with just simple pop-up enemies. They all give 1 point, and pop up faster and faster as time goes on. Unless you're a whackamole demi-god, you won't beat any scores from regular players. It is
9 7 1 3 8 4 2 6 5

The other code there can be found in the comments. I think it goes without saying that it completely breaks the game.

Edit: Forgot to upload the image.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-17-2009 01:32 AM]
02-17-2009 at 01:02 AM
Dex Stewart
I'm fine with playing without codes, should everyone agree upon that.
02-17-2009 at 01:25 AM
RoboBob3000
Thank you Kwakstur for the detailed info. Let's go with your recommendations.

02-17-2009 at 02:29 AM
noma
Okay, so that's the code that starts you with a bronze hammer at Level 1, or the one that starts you at Level 11 with a silver feathered hammer. The rest are off-limits.

I tried the 'trivialising' one yesterday and I get it: certainly makes the game easier, at least in the lower levels. That said, I didn't manage to beat my own highest score to date using it. And though it might be hard to spot if someone uses it, there is one thing that could give it away, or least give a hint...
02-17-2009 at 03:20 PM
TripleM
icon Re: DROD Survivor 2 (+1)  
A reminder to players that the deadline is in 2.5 days, so if you're not going to be around, send in those screenshots now.
02-21-2009 at 08:41 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
How do you screenshot again? :|

02-21-2009 at 08:59 PM
RoboBob3000
I'm officially closing the doors on score submissions for this challenge.

Before I calculate the scores, there is one more thing we have to do. I had mentioned previously that we will be throwing out each tribe's lowest score for each game. Before I do that, each tribe will get to throw out three of the scores of the other tribe, one score for each game.

Each tribe will need to submit to me a PM similar to this:

Poom - Player X
Tontie - Player Y
Winterbells - Player Z

The first complete PM I receive from any player on your tribe will be your tribe's submission. Also, you cannot throw out multiple scores from the same player.

If this is unclear, please ask questions. I will not set a time limit on this, but the sooner you give me your submissions, the sooner we will be finished.

02-24-2009 at 05:41 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Uh oh.

02-24-2009 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
EDIT: Removed.

I purposely picked such a short and meaningless post. Apparently, even with the smilies, people still thought I was serious.

Keep this -1. I wasn't being serious, but I do admit it could have been too thought-provoking. Lesson learned.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-25-2009 06:04 AM]
02-25-2009 at 03:56 AM
noma
Don't worry mud people. Kwakstur didn't point out anything we haven't already been wondering about.@ kwakstur: I think it's great that you're interested, but you should refrain from giving strategic advice that could be seen as an advantage to one team or another. It's just not fair.
02-25-2009 at 04:55 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Hey, thanks, Kwakstur.
EDIT: Um. There's sarcastic, and then there's -1-generating sarcastic. Whoops. Let's fix that rating.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 02-25-2009 07:00 AM]
02-25-2009 at 05:37 AM
noma
Just to be clear, I didn't mod you down. It wasn't that big a deal. Hey, since your comment was helpful to our team; if anything I would have nodded you up! :smile You didn't need to delete the comment -- I just figured I'd give a heads up before anyone posted something people might have really objected to. .

[Last edited by noma at 02-25-2009 02:42 PM]
02-25-2009 at 02:40 PM
RoboBob3000
We have submissions from Mud. Waiting on Tar.

02-25-2009 at 09:44 PM
RoboBob3000
Challenge #3 will have a small amount of time sensitivity to it. I will post the rules of the challenge, and then instead of starting immediately, we will begin at a predetermined time.

No time is perfect for everybody, but I'd like to determine a starting time that, at the very least, is fair-ish for both tribes.

I'm thinking 8PM GMT is a relatively painless time across the board. At least most everybody should be awake. Thoughts?

02-25-2009 at 09:52 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
I get home at 11PM GMT

02-25-2009 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
noma
Fine by me.
02-25-2009 at 11:43 PM
Dex Stewart
I know I'm probably commiting suicide by saying this, but I feel my team should get a fair warning: I will not be here on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm at a maths competition in another country, with no Internet access. I'd obviously be thankful if you could make the challenge happen after Sunday, but I doubt you're going to change your plans just for me. Maybe we can vote? If the other team agrees as well, it gets postponed for a tiny bit?

Also, provided I'm back home, 8 PM GMT is fine with me.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 02-25-2009 11:44 PM]
02-25-2009 at 11:43 PM
Page 4 of 26
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : DROD Survivor 2 (We have a winner! Read the final vote!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com