Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : An Aumtlich's RPG (So far, 2 levels complete)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
IP: Logged

File: An Aumtlichs RPG.drh (8.7 KB)
Downloaded 144 times.
License: Public Domain
icon An Aumtlich's RPG (0)  
So here it is.

My first attempt at anything in the RPG; this is the first level. It can be solved with a minumum of effort, or you can delve deeper and get more equipment, better stats, etc.

Comments are welcome! Is is too hard? Is it hard enough? Is it fair to put a maze in the first level (in fact, it's not difficult to complete the level without so much as setting foot in the maze)?

Anyway, enjoy!

EDIT: Now added the second level, Tunnels.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 10-01-2008 09:05 PM]
09-25-2008 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: An Aumtlich's RPG (0)  
Lovely, lovely. Nice RPG puzzles, nice maze, nice HP vendor and Cheese custom accessory. Once I figured out that first level, I was able to completely obliterate it. Only problem: You need to make MOAR!

09-25-2008 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Hmm... It's quite easy if you DO set foot in the maze. Feels like a good start, but you need at least one other level. I think this could be a great starting level for a five level level set with multiple endings depending on how well you optimize. Getting the blade the first thing you do would otherwise make the rest of the hold trivial, since it's obviously the best thing to do. Or you could expect people to get the blade, and create other levels acordingly.
09-25-2008 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
The cheese doesn't work. (I don't get to say that often enough.)
09-26-2008 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
It works for me. It's restoring that is buggy.
09-26-2008 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Sounds like it has the same problem as my mimic sword, then. Well, at least hartleyhair has company in waiting for the next patch.

The hold's off to a good start. The maze is fine, and I don't think anyone's actually likely to skip it. Having a score point at the mad eye might give players a little too much control over activating it; just wait for your stats to climb up over the course of the hold, and come back and kill it at the very end to get the best score. I'm looking forward to some more levels.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 09-26-2008 02:35 AM]
09-26-2008 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
icon Re: An Aumtlich's RPG (+1)  
Bump!

Thanks for the comments, all. New version uploaded, with level 2 finished!

Blondbeard wrote:
Getting the blade the first thing you do would otherwise make the rest of the hold trivial, since it's obviously the best thing to do. Or you could expect people to get the blade, and create other levels acordingly.

I've tried to compromise between these two options. I may have got the balance wrong - tell me what you think of my solution.

Someone Else wrote:

Hmm, that's odd. Restoring's working fine for me, and I've been restoring lots to playtest.

Also, I'll give +1 to whoever can kill the Soulless first.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 10-02-2008 07:45 AM]
10-01-2008 at 09:12 PM
Sillyman
hartleyhair wrote:
Sillyman wrote:

Hmm, that's odd. Restoring's working fine for me, and I've been restoring lots to playtest.
That quote is from someone else, dangit.

10-01-2008 at 09:27 PM
Blondbeard
hartleyhair wrote:
Bump!

Thanks for the comments, all. New version uploaded, with level 2 finished!

Blondbeard wrote:
Getting the blade the first thing you do would otherwise make the rest of the hold trivial, since it's obviously the best thing to do. Or you could expect people to get the blade, and create other levels acordingly.

I've tried to compromise between these two options. I may have got the balance wrong - tell me what you think of my solution.

Also, I'll give +1 to whoever can kill the Soulless first.

Good compromise :) Here are my stats (nowhere nera optimal probably), for you to use as a reference for future levels: HP 1693 (with lots of health potions left, and an unused cheese), Atk 57, Def 33, Gre 410 (with lot's of zero damage eyes to kill). I did kill the soulless (as you might see at my stats). If I do it when you add a third level remains to be seen. (I hope you do add a third level :) I like it so far, and you might add a challange later on (like in Tendrys Tale). The hold is quite easy as it is.

Oh, and the cheese don't seem to be working.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 10-01-2008 10:40 PM]
10-01-2008 at 10:40 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
First level complete with: 785, 45, 17, 223, Cheese worth 320.
Second level was fairly easy, but I don't want to replay it just to get my results.
10-02-2008 at 12:10 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
And the second level's done. I got the sword and one green key, went into the dungeon, saw that I'd just have to kill more enemies like in the first level, and headed back up to collect stats and health before tackling the dungeon. I never tried using the cheese or buying health with my remaining greckles to up my score, I skipped the mad eye (again, I'd probably just do it as late as possible), and I took on the soulless as soon as I found it.

Do you really expect people to go through so many hot tiles just for one key, especially with monsters also taking down your HP? I wasn't about to, and even the other side doesn't seem terribly useful. Also, picking up the sword first thing still seems pretty essential; you might consider letting people leave with the pickaxe instead, since it could potentially be put to better use on the second level.

10-02-2008 at 12:28 AM
Sillyman
Also, the mechanism to keep the pickaxe in the maze doesn't work. Enter, exit, enter, exit, and you have the pickaxe again.

10-02-2008 at 01:20 AM
hartleyhair
Sillyman wrote:
Also, the mechanism to keep the pickaxe in the maze doesn't work. Enter, exit, enter, exit, and you have the pickaxe again.

I fixed that with the second level update, though you'll probably need to restart the Hold for the change to take effect.

10-02-2008 at 07:44 AM
Blondbeard
Dischorran wrote:
Do you really expect people to go through so many hot tiles just for one key, especially with monsters also taking down your HP? I wasn't about to, and even the other side doesn't seem terribly useful. Also, picking up the sword first thing still seems pretty essential; you might consider letting people leave with the pickaxe instead, since it could potentially be put to better use on the second level.

It's worth it. If you have the right amount of life you win 2 Atk and 4 yellow keys, and lose around 300 lives and 3 yellow keyes. Atk is always good to get for later use, and an extra key is worth the lost lives from an optimizing perspective.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 10-02-2008 07:45 AM]
10-02-2008 at 07:44 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : An Aumtlich's RPG (So far, 2 levels complete)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com