Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Mini Contests (Our Contest for May)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Mini Contests (0)  
List of current Mini Contests

Noma's Puzzle Rally Race
If you think the Dakar Rally is tough– uh... okay, this is easier... and you won't need a sense a direction either.

Mr. Slice's Impossible, Or Not?

Someone Else's Adder Combo

The Long Way Round
A Hold-building Contest... with a twist.

Surplus Materials
We have a few too many monsters in the DAA storehouse, help us clean it up a little.

Rare / Common answers
Will your answers be too popular.. or not popular enough?

Guard usage
One-room hold building with swordless player, guards and some objects that you can only kill with weapon.

Practicallity
Can you make a puzzling dungeon, which IS a dungeon?

Spin Me A Yarn
"Spin us a yarn based on the Eighth."

Debaters of the Eighth
Does the second sky exist? Well, its up to you!

Time Reset
Here's what happens when Beethro uses mrimer's time machine too much!

Fastest Man Alive
Are you ready to make a world record?

I’ve always been of the mind that people are often more capable than they think when it comes to new activities, and all it requires is for them to gather a bit of experience and self confidence. Thus in order to assist in clearing the cobwebs of self doubt, I propose to help train you all up with a brief, hopefully painless contest on managing things. And even if you aren't, read on to discover how you can compete by just participating in the Mini Contests.

Here is how it goes (Rules):

As many people as possible who feel in some way capable of running a contest, a challenge or a conundrum post an announcement linking to your topic in this thread. Underneath, then enter a short, one sentence description aimed at enticing people in italics. These announcements and their description will then be linked to in the list at the top of this post. Where the contest leads from there is up the the Mini Contest Runner.

You can only post one such announcement, but if you can somehow merge several ideas nobody is going to stop you. In fact, if you choose to do something short and simple like a logic puzzle, I strongly advise you whip out a string of them to make sure that your contest lasts the minimum length of one week. Just remember that at the end of it all, I will only allot one vote per person, so don’t spew forth a whole bunch of mediocre contests in the hope that one will stick.

The first stage of this contest will end on the Local Time:05-21-2008 at 01:00 PM. You must have the winners in for your contest and submitted to me by that time! And there must be a first, second and third place. If you are considering a contest with one definite winner (such as a logic puzzle with the first in being the winner) award 2nd and 3rd place to the next people who submit the correct answer. Also remember to send in the names of all your participants for scoring purposes.

You can’t enter your own Mini Contest.

You can’t create a Mini-Mini Contest. Or, for that matter, a Mini-Mini-Mini contest, or a… you get the idea.

Can’t think of a contest? Don’t worry, you can still join in (although it won’t count as participation). Here’s how.

Everybody whose entry is accepted into a contest is given 1 imaginary point. For each subsequent contest another point will be given.

If you win a contest, you are given 6 imaginary points.
If you come second, you are given 4 of these things
If you come third, you are given 2 points.
If you run a contest that has 5 or more entrants, you are given 5 points
Note, however, that these points will only be awarded provided that at least 3 people join the contest. At the end of the first stage, winners will be announced and prizes (see prizes) will be awarded.

Note that in addition to this, everybody who wins a Mini Contest will be given 5 rank points, coming second nets you 3 rank points and coming 3rd gives you 2.

I will then request that everybody vote on the following criteria (Voting):

Design. How well was the contest structured, laid out, designed? Were there gaping flaws in the contest? If so, were they dealt with quickly and efficiently?

Presentation. Was the announcement clear and concise, readable? Or was it another great wall of Chinese text? Was it easy on the eyes, well presented? Did the contest host present themselves well?

Management. Did the contest host work well with inquiries, run the contest smoothly and deal with any disasters and slipups effectively? Did they seem like they knew what they were doing? Did the winners get picked in a fair and reasonable manner? Was the contest run in a fun and fair manner?

Originality. This is more of a bonus point than a marking criteria. If you think that the contest host touched upon a concept that nobody else has thought of, reward them accordingly.

This means that you have this much time left (Timing):

On the Local Time:05-14-2008 at 01:00 PM you will be unable to submit a contest entry. (Which means by then participants must be able to participate directly and deliberately in your contest). Which means that you have negative 828 weeks, 1 day left to think up your contest.

Then, on the Local Time:05-21-2008 at 01:00 PM the winners will be submitted to me, I will award the competing prize to the three people with the most points, and I will start a poll for people to vote on the Mini Contests. You have negative 827 weeks, 1 day before that happens.

But wait, there’s more (Tips)

Remember the principle of KISS. Simplicity is good.

Make it short. You only have a small amount of time to run your contest. And there will be other contests being run besides you, so the longer people have to do stuff for your contest, the more likely they’ll give up.

Be flexible. Be prepared to change things should it become unstuck. Even if it isn’t how you planned it to be, the most important thing is enjoyment and fairness for the participants.

There is a whole host of tips at your disposal right here already.

If you’re looking for ideas, check through previous contests, through this wonderful thread and look for things that other people suggested as alternatives, or things that you reckon you could do better in.

Try to avoid massive polls. This doesn't mean you shouldn't, but try to avoid them, considering if everybody runs one and they each take an hour for the voter do do, you might not have many votes.

And once it is all over, here are the rewards (Prizes):
The winner of the overall contest will win 100 rank points plus an item from the prize pile.
The runner up will receive 50 rank points.
Third place will receive 25 rank points.
First timers get 10 rank points.
All contest hosts will receive the joy of participating.

For the prize for imaginary points (Prize for just joining in the contests):
The winner will receive 50 points plus an 8 timer prize from the prize pile. The winner must have more than 8 imaginary points. This is to ensure that people don’t just focus entirely on entering one contest.
Second place will receive 25 rank points
Third will receive 10 rank points.

For actually entering and winning a mini contest, 5 points to whoever comes first, 3 to second and 2 for third place, in addition to any prizes offered by the mini contest host.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-24-2008 09:11 AM]
05-01-2008 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Mini Contests (+1)  
Noma's Puzzle Rally Race
If you think the Dakar Rally is tough– uh... okay, this is easier... and you won't need a sense a direction either.
05-02-2008 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Mr. Slice's Impossible, Or Not?
Technically, this is a mini-contest that was created actually, before the May contest began, but I think this would be a good mini-contest.

05-02-2008 at 04:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
05-02-2008 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Hartleyhair's The Long Way Round.
A Hold-building Contest... with a twist.

05-02-2008 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Surplus Materials
We have a few too many monsters in the DAA storehouse, help us clean it up a little.

05-02-2008 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Rare / Common answers
Will your answers be too popular.. or not popular enough?
05-02-2008 at 12:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505

File: b.png (284.6 KB)
Downloaded 136 times.
License: Public Domain
Guards usage
One-room hold building with swordless player, guards and some objects that you can only kill with weapon.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-23-2016 07:08 PM]
05-02-2008 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
Practicallity

Can you make a puzzling dungeon, which IS a dungeon?

[Last edited by hyperme at 05-02-2008 07:53 PM]
05-02-2008 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: Mini Contests (0)  
Right, seeing as everybody has decided to create their own thread, I've changed the formatting rules.

Now, instead of having the text in blue, all you need is a link to your thread. This thread I will then link to directly.

The reason you still have to post in this thread is for order and for me to keep track of things.
05-02-2008 at 06:35 PM
NiroZ
Ok, one more alteration. Please send in the names of all participants as well as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, for scoring purposes.

And from now on, I won't be checking for editing, so remember to post a new message if you wish to change your description or the name of your contest or where you link to.
05-03-2008 at 06:44 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Spin Me A Yarn

"Spin us a yarn based on the Eighth."

05-03-2008 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
For actually entering and winning a mini contest, 5 points to whoever comes first, 3 to second and 2 for third place, in addition to any prizes offered by the mini contest host.
05-03-2008 at 03:09 PM
NiroZ
Debaters of the Eighth
Does the second sky exist? Well, its up to you!
05-06-2008 at 05:25 AM
vittro
Rank Points: 479
Time Reset
Here's what happens when Beethro uses mrimer's time machine too much!

05-11-2008 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hahi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
:~( ... I made it, I created a hold for the contest but I don't understand how to load it up...
May anybody help me?
By the way, is the contest for the two-rooms- and 6-way-hold still running?
05-14-2008 at 03:53 AM
NiroZ
Hahi wrote:
:~( ... I made it, I created a hold for the contest but I don't understand how to load it up...
May anybody help me?
To attach files, click on the browse button and select the file you want.
By the way, is the contest for the two-rooms- and 6-way-hold still running?
Could post the link to this contest?
05-14-2008 at 04:00 AM
Hahi

File: Hahis way of contest.hold (72.2 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
License: Public Domain
...Uff, I know that it was written here a few days ago, just when you clicked on the "contest for may".

Er... this way?

[Last edited by Hahi at 05-14-2008 04:11 AM]
05-14-2008 at 04:07 AM
NiroZ
Well I really can't help you if you don't know which contest you were planning on entering. Your description doesn't really define any one contest.
05-14-2008 at 04:12 AM
Hahi
Ahaha, it's "Time Reset", the last one in the list. :cool
05-14-2008 at 04:19 AM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Fastest Man Alive
Are you ready to make a world record?

I wish that man would stay away
05-15-2008 at 04:19 PM
NiroZ
negative 827 weeks, 1 day to get your winners in!
05-18-2008 at 01:19 PM
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
Well, the winners of The Long Way Round are as follows:

1st place - VIPCOOL
2nd Place - Dischorran

05-18-2008 at 02:08 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
My Contest had no enterants, therefor, no winner.

05-19-2008 at 08:50 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Puzzle Rally Race Results:

1st place: zex20913
2nd place: runtly
3rd place: kie

Participants: zex20913, runtly, kie, RoboBob3000, TripleM, CuriousShyRabbit, dischorran, Chaco, techant, bflatjeff, Eb0ny, Remlin, Rheb, bachus, Ezlo, NiroZ, Someone Else, Hahi

05-20-2008 at 02:08 AM
NiroZ
Added the debaters to the list.
05-20-2008 at 09:53 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Rare/Common Entries results:

1) krammer
2) Doom
3) captainzakku

Participants:
krammer, Doom, captainzakku, eb0ny, Someone Else, Rheb, bflatjeff, Chaco, CuriousShyRabbit, runtly, zex20913, kie, Remlin, Ezlo, Briareos, Rabscuttle, MeckMeck GRE, noma, Pneh, Dischorran, bachus, techant, The spitemaster, JoMax, VIPCOOL, Monkey (I'm including him even though he was disqualified).
05-21-2008 at 01:57 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Spin Me A Yarn

First Place noma
Second Place Ezlo
Third Place Mr. Slice

Participation noma, Ezlo, Mr. Slice, mrimer.

As Judges:
Niroz, eb0ny, mxvladi, hartleyhair, Monkey, noma, VIPCOOL, Jatopian, MeckMeck GRE, mrimer, kie, bflatjeff, noma, Ezlo, Mr. Slice.
Each judge was given an unexpected 1Mod point as a special thanks.

[Last edited by techant at 05-21-2008 07:54 AM]
05-21-2008 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Considering that in all probability I'm now not going to be around to run the reminder of this contest, I advocate that mrimer take control and delegate it to someone, perhaps mattcrampy, to run the poll. It should be pretty simple, just run a poll of each contest, to be rated out of ten, to be judged according to the voting criteria.

Good Bye. :flowers
05-21-2008 at 02:57 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
Good Bye. :flowers
Wait, what?

You're leaving? Did I miss a memo or something? :-O :?

05-21-2008 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Mini Contests (Our Contest for May)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com