Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Prize Pile. (If you win, you get to pick!)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The Prize Pile. (0)  
This is the prize pile! What is this "prize pile"? Well, if you win first place in one of our official contests, or participate in eight contests, you can choose an item from the pile. Pretty cool, eh?

Guidelines for Prize Contributors

If you are feeling generous and want to contribute something to the prize pile, we'd love to have more stuff to give away! Contributors should follow these rules:

* You must actually own the thing and be able to send it to a prizewinner. Let's not clutter the place up with gag gifts or get people's hopes up with fakery.

* The item should be something tangible, i.e. not services, and be worth something between $5 and $25 USD. It might seem good to have better prizes than this, but if the stakes are too high we could end up with a mercenary atmosphere around our contests. It is better, I think, to have smaller prizes than risk people getting terribly upset that they didn't win the Camaro after quiting their job to work on an entry for a hold design contest.

* If a prizewinner asks for your item, then you are expected to ship the item to him. After the prizewinner receives the item, Caravel will reimburse you with a check for your shipping costs up to $20. (Be careful about offering a prize that is expensive to ship, i.e. a bicycle.) You will also receive 100 rank points for your good deed. And no doubt, people here will think you are pretty cool too.

* Provide a description of your item in a reply to this post. Pictures are nice, but not necessary.

* Take your item down if you longer can or want to send it away. Please try to do this before a prizewinner asks for your item. It's a bit of a bummer to find out your first choice isn't on the menu, after all.

Eight-Timer Prizes

* Some prizes are marked "8-Timer". These are prizes that are offered to people who have participated in eight or more contests. If you are collecting your prize for participating in eight contests, you must choose from the subset of prizes marked "8-Timer". If you've participated in a contest before August 1st, 2006 the rules are a bit different--just ask me, and I'll explain.

* As a prize contributor, you are welcome to offer your prize to 8-timers as well as regular contest winners. If that is your intention, add "(8-timer)" to the subject of your prize announcement post. If you don't add this text, it will be assumed that your prize is only offered to contest winners.

And a Few More Rules for Everybody

* No trading! If I see anybody trading stuff, here or elsewhere on the forum, or even setting up trades in private, I have to stop it. You can do that on eBay or Craig's List instead, right? The Prize Pile is about giving gifts away for the fun of it. If you are expecting more than some appreciation in return, then you've got the wrong idea.

* You might have something to say about the prizes or the Prize Pile in general. Please post those messages in the About the Prize Pile topic instead of posting them here. I would like to keep this topic easy to read through as a simple list of available prizes.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-03-2006 12:58 AM]
02-07-2005 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000

File: JTRH.JPG (27.8 KB)
Downloaded 6911 times.
License: Other
icon DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold CD (0)  

A free CD of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, which includes both Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux versions on it.

An Eight-Timer Prize for a downloadable version of the game is also offered.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-02-2006 09:50 PM]
02-07-2005 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Tar T-Shirt. (0)  
Clayton took a screenprinting class and made a batch of T-shirts for us. They turned out quite nice, as you can see! I've got ten shirts to give away--half of them size large and the other half XL. My shirt has lasted several washes without fading, but it is recommended that you turn shirts inside-out before washing so the ink will last a long time.

And here you see Brittany modelling Clayton's work...

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 11-29-2005 03:00 AM]
03-30-2005 at 10:35 PM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Jane's Naval Warfare Collection (+1)  
I'm going to offer a collection of three computer games that I've had for several years and I've gotten much enjoyment out of. It's called Jane's Naval Warfare Collection, and it includes the games Jane's Fleet Command, 688(I) Hunter/Killer, and F/A-18. All three games are a lot of fun and if you like simulation games you can't go wrong with these three. I haven't played them recently, mainly because they're a few years old and they don't run well on my laptop since it's newer. These games would be perfect for you if you have a computer that isn't brand new.

All three cds are in perfect condition and they come in one case. I'll also send the manual for F/A-18 (the manuals for Fleet Command and 688(I) are on the cds).

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-29-2005 07:38 PM]
04-18-2005 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon One-Year CaravelNet Membership (8-Timer) (+1)  
This is an 8-Timer Prize.

This prize is only available to people who don't already have a CaravelNet membership that extends into the next year.

More info about what all you get in a CaravelNet membership is over here.

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-04-2011 05:31 PM]
07-03-2005 at 03:32 AM
ErikH2000

File: classic_risk_thumb.jpg (25.8 KB)
Downloaded 5377 times.
icon Lux! (+2)  
[copy has been claimed by NiroZ]

Dustin Sacks of Sillysoft has donated a free copy of his ubercool game, Lux. What is Lux? Well, it's basically a souped-up version of a more familiar game, Risk. An obvious improvement over the boardgame version is that it moves a lot faster with unit allotments calculated for you. Some other things I think are great about this game:

- The AIs play extremely well. I'm still just getting used to the medium-level AIs without even attempting the hardest. Cooler still, there are really distinct and interesting algorithms for different AIs--so you aren't just playing on a linear scale of easy to hard. For example, one AI will evenly distribute its units over occupied land. Another AI builds up its units into one concentrated mass and dramatically plows across the map when it reaches a certain threshold.

- There are many, many maps to play other than the classic Risk layout. The player community has a similar level of commitment to the game as DROD, and you see really nice maps. Like there is a map of Hell with funny names of territories set aside for certain sinners. There are maps in space, maps reenacting big wars from history, fantasy setting maps, and purely abstract maps that experiment with interesting topologies.

- You can play online against other players. It seems like there is pretty much always somebody looking for a game in the lobby system. I honestly have not yet had the courage to play against anybody else. Or maybe I just prefer to putter around in the less stressful single-player mode. But it's a nice feature to have.

- Wiki, forum, and other signs of a healthy player community.

I've been playing an hour or so of the game every day. It's really addictive. If you want to check out Lux, here's the URL: http://sillysoft.net/lux/

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-16-2009 03:05 AM]
08-29-2005 at 07:35 PM
ErikH2000
icon DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon and The Choice CD (0)  

So you guys all know what DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon is, right? If not, then check this out. This prize is for the full CD, not just the holds which appear on CaravelNet.

There is a separate 8-Timer prize for just the downloadable version.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-02-2006 09:57 PM]
10-10-2005 at 07:19 AM
Saqqara
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Silence of the Lambs & Hannibal DVDs (+3)  

My family knows I'm a huge fan of Anthony Hopkins and his portrayal of Thomas Harris' character, Dr. Lecter, so these keep popping up around Christmas and my birthday. I think I've given the whole trilogy away to different people around 3 times now, not to mention the books the movies were based from. Anywho, I'm offering these up to a lucky contest winner.

Both DVDs are exactly what's pictured. They are the Special Edition Widescreen Version of each movie. The DVDs are Region 1, so they are for North American use only. Each DVD has two discs, one with the movie, and the other with loads of special features, such as bloopers, alternate endings, and of course, long boring commentary. The DVDs work perfectly and only have a few minor scratches from normal wear and tear. These are two great movies, which I'm happy to offer to a contest winner. Get to contesting!
12-09-2005 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
icon Dominions II (+3)  
Update: Dominions III has been released. So, this particular item is probably irrelevant now, unless you are interested in an extended demo.

These words the Seer on Mount Olympus spoke: "Come and see me, my young 'prentice. I know power awaits in your young heart, but far from wisdom you are still. Many a training you shall spent in training at my side, until I finally deem you ready for the greatest challenge. For if you keep straight to the four pillars of Honour, Discipline, Excellence and Intelligence, perhaps you might ascend to a higher state of being."

Meanwhile, a more matter-of-fact recruiter yelled around town: "Wanna be a god? Just sign up there".

Dominions II is a turn-based fantasy strategy game, where the player incarnates a Pretender seeking godhood. The universe makes some effort to stay away from Elves, Humans and Dwarves against Goblins, Undead and Dark Elves, using nations rather than races and a more in-depth background. Among the seventeen nations are wild Pangaea, avalonian Man, notorious R'lyeh, or the lizardmen of C'tis. The graphics in the sequel are quite a bit clearer than the ones in the first game; I have found these ones to be so unclear that I simply gave up (I don't mind text games).

Unlike many other similar games (Age of Wonders or Heroes and Might and Magic), Dominions does not allow the player to directly control battles; instead, the player gives orders to the troops, so it is a matter of planning rather than tactics. As a result, the game plays quite differently than most others, and battles carry more risk since you cannot intervene if something goes wrong.

Magic tends to play a very pivotal role in the game, though its potency can be reduced somewhat. Spells and items come in great variety, and can be pretty effective at high levels - assuming you can actually lay your hands on all the shiny magical tools. Research is necessary to access worthwhile spells, mages cannot cast most spells, and many spells also require special magical gems in order to be cast. Still, magic certainly is nasty at the end of the game.

While the game can be played in single-player, the AI is not particularly bright (as in most strategy games), and Dominions shines in multiplayer instead. Up to seventeen players can take part in the same game (can you say "diplomacy"?), with the usual format being close to play-by-mail (PBEM). Once a turn has run, all players have a fixed amount of time to send their orders (usually between 24 and 72 hours), with no fixed order of play. So, games with the full 17 players are perfectly feasible.

A last interesting point is the customability of the game. Maps, settings and game parameters can be modified at will (or nearly so), so it is possible to create a game with very little magic set in the Eighth with new nations (that would require a bit of work, of course).

Miscellaneous information: Dominions II should run fine on any computer able to run Rooted Hold, and is available on several operating systems (Windows, MacOS and Linux); the same CD should work for any of these, if I understand correctly. My CD is hardly used at all, as it is only required to install the game, and my manual is a bit more used (there was no box with the game).

And more miscellaneous information: the game is developped by Illwinter Game Design , and published by Shrapnel Games . Screenshots for the game can be found here . The original screenshot I had posted in this thread is here .

[Last edited by Alneyan at 10-06-2006 07:09 PM]
12-09-2005 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Thursday Next Books (+4)  
I've withdrawn this prize from the Prize Pile. Sorry to those who wanted it!

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 04-01-2010 07:05 AM]
12-21-2005 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000

File: Mr.Robot-Mousemat.jpg (25.3 KB)
Downloaded 4607 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Mr. Robot Mousepad (0)  

The next game from Moonpod, Mr. Robot, isn't here yet, but its mousepad has arrived. Another happy donation from Nick Tipping, this attractive mousepad which is guaranteed to provide the correct amount of friction for your mouse.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 01-15-2006 12:44 AM]
01-15-2006 at 12:43 AM
ErikH2000
icon DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold Downloadable (8-Timer) (0)  

A free downloadable copy of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, which includes both Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux versions.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-02-2006 09:56 PM]
07-02-2006 at 09:52 PM
ErikH2000
icon DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon and The Choice Downloadable (8-Timer) (0)  
This is an 8-Timer prize.

So you guys all know what DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon is, right? If not, then check this out. This prize is just for the downloadable version of the game--not the CD.

-Erik

07-02-2006 at 09:59 PM
ErikH2000
icon Smitemaster's Selection Holds (8-Timer) (0)  

This prize is one credit for a downloadable Smitemaster's Selection release. Depending on which release you choose, this may give you one hold or multiple holds, i.e. the Halph Stories release from Winter 2005 includes two holds. You can save your credit to use for a future release of a Smitemaster's Selection too.

-Erik

07-02-2006 at 10:04 PM
ErikH2000
icon Smitemaster's Selection CD (8-Timer) (0)  
This is an 8-timer prize.

Receive one copy of the next Smitemaster's Selection CD that is shipped. If you already have a Smitemaster's Selection CD subscription, it will be extended by one issue. You can't choose which CD will be sent to you.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-02-2006 10:10 PM]
07-02-2006 at 10:10 PM
ErikH2000
icon DROD: The City Beneath CD (0)  

One CD of DROD: The City Beneath for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux will be sent to you.

There is a separate 8-Timer prize for a downloadable version.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-13-2011 03:24 PM]
07-02-2006 at 10:11 PM
ErikH2000
icon DROD: The City Beneath Downloadable (8-Timer) (0)  

The downloadable version of DROD: The City Beneath for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux will be made available to you.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-27-2007 08:28 PM]
07-02-2006 at 10:13 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: The Prize Pile. (+2)  
I have a mint copy of Beyond Good and Evil for the PC to give away. (A friend of mine gifted me a copy two days after I'd bought the game. Naturally, I'm using his, but I hadn't opened mine.)

I'm tempted to let the reviews stand for themselves, but it's probably more important to talk about my experiences with it.

The thing the game nails is setting - Hillys is really beautiful, and it feels less like a series of levels and more like a proper world. Animals fill the environments, civilians wander the streets, and care and attention is paid to even the most incidental character. There's the inevitable barriers to later areas in the game, but you barely mind because they fit within the confines of the world. The music is top-notch, varied and interesting and the visuals are cool without trying too far, the best kind of cool.

The game is short and eclectic - it throws racing, stealth, adventure, puzzle, action and platforming into the mix, and works remarkably well. It ends disappointingly soon, though, which is probably more to do with a lack of padding and a great experience than anything, although there's really only four levels and a world map. The story is good but it's not the best in games, and it's not the equal of other media. Nevertheless, it's one of the, if not the, best examples of a world in games today, even surpassing the Zelda and GTA series. It was this game that brought Michael Ancel to the attention of Peter Jackson, who commissioned him specially to make the King Kong game.

You'll get the DVD case, and I'll throw the box in if you really want it, but it's not that exciting unless you prefer boxes. It's the Australian version, so it has the Australian rating on it. Call it a novelty.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 07-24-2006 01:22 PM]
07-24-2006 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000

File: wa_shot1l.jpg (41.8 KB)
Downloaded 3164 times.
icon Wonderland Adventures (+1)  

Patrick Maidorn of Midnight Synergy has graciously donated a copy of his Windows game, Wonderland Adventures. I guess you could say this game is like a cross between Chip's Challenge and Marioworld. You solve CC-style puzzles involving getting past obstacles, managing inventory, and directing the actions of other creatures. The 3D graphics are very pleasant to look at, and don't get in the way of understanding the 2D grid representation. I can definitely recommend trying this one out. I effortlessly blew an hour on the demo and still haven't reached the end of it.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 05-26-2007 09:04 PM]
05-26-2007 at 09:02 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon "turn-and-write" stencil (eight timer prize) (+3)  
Elfstone wrote:
A glance in the stats pages shows that the members of this site are scattered to the four corners of the globe and I wonder if people might offer something indigenous to their country/area as a prize?
It may not be what Elfstone expected in this context, but here's some CD/DVD labeling hardware designed and made in Switzerland.

You get what's in the picture on the front page at the link above: a CD-shaped stencil with two concentric lowercase alphabets, black CD-safe pen, jewel case and one blank (on both sides) CD-R.

I have one myself. It's nice to use (turns easily but doesn't slip out of position, and the pen doesn't catch while writing), and it seems that the inventor is right in saying that these "need some dedication to destroy".

This is an eight-timer prize.
09-28-2007 at 12:24 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056

File: DROD_RPG.jpg (47.6 KB)
Downloaded 2175 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Prize Pile. (+3)  
I'm adding the downloadable version of DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale to the prize pile.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-21-2008 02:07 AM]
09-21-2008 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545

File: Igor.png (91.3 KB)
Downloaded 2088 times.
icon Igor: The Time Machine (+4)  
March 2024: It's been 15+ years since I first offered this and all the purchase links seem to be dead, so I'm withdrawing it from the prize pile.

I'm going to offer a copy of Igor: The Time Machine. I first picked up my copy about five years ago, and it still gets a run every now and then when I've forgotten how to do the later levels.

The game plays a lot like Boulder Dash, but it's one of the most comprehensive and polished games I've played in the genre. For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, the basic goal is to move around a level and collect all the datapods without being crushed by falling objects or killed by enemies.

The gameplay is in real-time, but you can speed up or slow down the game to help with the twitchy bits. You can do that during a level, so you can slow down when it counts without yawning your way through the easy bits.

The list of game elements is huge (scroll half-way down), and between the official level set and optional downloads there are over 350 levels to work through (plus 91 sokoban-type levels just because the engine can).

This prize is the CD version of the game, which includes an hour of music. My knowledge of the genre is such that I'll just describe it as "electronic-y", and you can go listen to the samples yourself if you want to get technical. :)

Finally, Maarten Egmond of Elmer Productions has kindly offered to throw in a second CD to the same winner, so there's a copy for you and one to give away to someone else. Thanks Maarten!

[Last edited by Tuttle at 03-03-2024 12:42 PM]
09-24-2008 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: The Prize Pile. (0)  
Seeing as mrimer has graciously decided to let me claim something from the Prize Pile in his addendum to the October Illumination, I'll claim it immediately.

I'd like to claim one Smitemasters' Selection download credit, please. :)

10-19-2008 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Alright, so is this where I claim my 8-timer prize?

If so, I'll take 1 CaravelNet Membership, please! :)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-17-2009 at 05:16 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Alright, so is this where I claim my 8-timer prize?

If so, I'll take 1 CaravelNet Membership, please! :)
Okay, done! :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-17-2009 at 06:52 PM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
I'd like to claim the Lux Delux download, please... :)

03-01-2009 at 12:41 AM
zwetschenwasser
Is the Lux thingamajig no longer available? :|

03-16-2009 at 09:19 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Yup, I see that mrimer just added that the prize was claimed already.

Even if the software is for download, the Caravel Team can't distribute more copies than were "donated" to them.

Nevertheless, though it's really impossible to ascertain from the post, I think they were actually donated a physical copy.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-16-2009 07:19 PM]
03-16-2009 at 07:17 PM
zwetschenwasser
Is wonderland adventures a download? If so, I'll take that, even though it's an eight-timer (I can only get downloadable prizes, if you haven't noticed).

03-16-2009 at 09:29 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
zwetschenwasser wrote:
Is wonderland adventures a download? If so, I'll take that, even though it's an eight-timer (I can only get downloadable prizes, if you haven't noticed).
Yup, it's a downloadable-only. I was a beta tester on the game BTW, so I got it for free.

EDIT: Oh wait, this is the original. I only was a beta tester on the expansion, MOFI. Highly recommended also, by the way.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 03-16-2009 09:44 PM]
03-16-2009 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Prize Pile. (If you win, you get to pick!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com