Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Webfoot DROD (Where can i find it)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
IP: Logged
icon Webfoot DROD (0)  
Hello Everybody,

I was just wandering where i can get a free version of Webfoot DROD. I have searched on google and they all want me to pay or the downlaod doesn't work, does anyone know a link to a Webfoot DROD Doanloader that doesnt want me to pay?

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
01-09-2008 at 10:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Webfoot DROD (+1)  
You can't legally get Webfoot DROD. As I understand it, copyright in that particular version of the game remains with Webfoot, and if they don't want to distribute it then that's their choice.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 01-09-2008 11:14 AM : typo]
01-09-2008 at 10:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Webfoot DROD (0)  
Well, there are legal ways to get it - if you find someone with a legal copy of Webfoot DROD on CD, you can buy the CD off them. But that's basically your only choice. And I don't know where you can find such a person...

01-09-2008 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
I e-mailed them about a year ago about this matter, they still haven't got back to me... (>%/

EDIT: What the hell? You can't mod me down just for saying this! Now the guy that's modding me down for no apparent reason, cut the act, or I will hunt you down. Got it?

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 01-13-2008 06:59 PM]
01-09-2008 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I e-mailed them about a year ago about this matter, they still haven't got back to me... (>%/
I've never really seen the point in playing Webfoot DROD except for curiosity. The levels are basically KDD. The music is downloadable from the forum. No checkpoints.

01-09-2008 at 04:04 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
There is precisely one reason to play Webfoot DROD, and that is to chase the awesome blood spatters to the edge of the room so Beethro absorbs them. Any other old-timers remember that?

01-09-2008 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Or to see Beethro dance.. ;)
01-10-2008 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Oh yeah... plus the death screams that scare the crap out of you the first time you hear them.

01-10-2008 at 12:48 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Don't forget the alternate door graphics and trapdoor colors (though it is possible to achieve this in AE through graphical mods).

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-10-2008 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
If I remember correctly, the doors look like yellow, green, red, and blue blocks, right? The trapdoors, I don't know. The additional graphics from the Webfoot version aren't very impressive. Then again, you do get to hear an impressive death scream!

01-10-2008 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Webfoot isn't aware that they ever made a 2D PC game.
01-10-2008 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
ITT: Forumers insist that there is no reason to experience Webfoot DROD, and then disprove their point in their nostalgia.
Still, no, no way to get it legally.

01-10-2008 at 09:10 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, there used to be a very good reason to play Webfoot, which is that for a long period of time, it was the only version of DROD available. And those of us who played it then occasionally get nostalgic to those simpler days.

But if DROD:AE was out back then, there would have really been no reason to play Webfoot, and I don't think a new player has any reason to play it unless he or she has a time machine.

(I must confess, though, I never played a legal version of Webfoot DROD, even though I did complete it).

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-11-2008 08:03 AM]
01-10-2008 at 09:34 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
I have a demo-version off webfoot DROD,
If you want (and if I'm alowed), I will post it here.

01-11-2008 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I'm sorry, but it's actually not allowed - we don't have permission from Webfoot to distribute even the demo version.

01-12-2008 at 03:09 AM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Didn't I post the demo once, but only Meckmeck downloaded it before you removed it? That's how serious they are about not distributing even the demo version.

01-12-2008 at 10:14 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Webfoot DROD (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
There is precisely one reason to play Webfoot DROD, and that is to chase the awesome blood spatters to the edge of the room so Beethro absorbs them. Any other old-timers remember that?
I played the full version which was legally owned. And I remember the chasing the blood spatter but all one has to do is load an AE version to play and you will go back to TCB or JtRH faster than you can reboot your system.

For a contest this last year we had to design using only AE elements. Doing that made it all to clear to me just how far this great game has come and just how good a job all those involved in its developement have done.

So while I won't had over my copy for nostalic sake (I have an origibal MTST(TM) I won't part with either), I don't think that you should look any farther, just enjoy all the user made holds that JtRH and TCB have and by the time you have conqured them something new is bound to be around.

01-12-2008 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
Schik wrote:
I'm sorry, but it's actually not allowed - we don't have permission from Webfoot to distribute even the demo version.

That's why I asked first.

It's a demo version, so it's only 3 levels, so you better play AE, the graphics are quite simular and with AE you can play through it all the way.

01-13-2008 at 11:42 AM
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
Too bad, webfoot DROD actaully looked really really good, it sucks that i can't get it though.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
01-19-2008 at 06:10 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I actually contacted Webfoot about this whole original DROD situation and their reply had these points:

1. The game is not abandonware, and will not be declared as such.
2. The license is held by Erik Hermannssen.
3. They are aware that more games were made based on the license.
4. The original Webfoot DROD was made for Windows 3.1, and they think it won't run well under other Windows systems (they are right). If they were distributing it, they'd have to support it as well. They really really really don't want to.
5. They will consider re-releasing the original title after speaking with Erik to see if it can be updated to not-crash in Vista. <--- quoted verbatim

"We'd much rather have an updated version that works on
all versions of Windows" is the official statement. But that's what Caravel DROD already is.

Hope this clears things up.

01-19-2008 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Right, if you want to play Webfoot DROD import the Webfoot music into AE and turn off checkpoints.

01-20-2008 at 11:46 PM
DyRsOfDh14
Rank Points: 56
But how can I put the Webfoot music on AE, I tried but I can't!
03-03-2008 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
You have to put the s3m versions (the ogg versions don't work in AE) in the music folder, then insert the filenames into the music section of the DROD.ini file.

-Noah

My stuff:

03-04-2008 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Rank Points: 27
You cant get it free!
03-06-2008 at 08:24 AM
13th Slayer
calamarain wrote:
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I've never really seen the point in playing Webfoot DROD except for curiosity. The levels are basically KDD. The music is downloadable from the forum. No checkpoints.
A reason is :

03-06-2008 at 08:26 AM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
you could actually try a sort of timed mode in AE, I think a metronome would be handy for that.

03-06-2008 at 03:39 PM
13th Slayer
Timo006 wrote:
you could actually try a sort of timed mode in AE, I think a metronome would be handy for that.
A WHAT? This timed mode made you "Wait" if you think for too long.
03-16-2008 at 04:17 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
13th Slayer wrote:
Timo006 wrote:
metronome
A WHAT?
A metronome.

np: Röyksopp - 49 Percent (The Understanding)

03-16-2008 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
G Eye
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
It is not as bad as it looks! This is the single application that brought us to this Forum.

[Last edited by G Eye at 08-27-2016 04:10 PM]
02-19-2012 at 01:09 AM
vittro
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: Webfoot DROD (+3)  
I've posted this on Webfoot's facebook wall, and got this reply: http://db.tt/xeCMzOt6

Sorry the image is upside down, I'm on my iphone.

05-03-2012 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Webfoot DROD (Where can i find it)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com