Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The 'Merican Adventure
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon The 'Merican Adventure (+6)  
To preserve game source that risks being lost to time, I've uploaded source and binaries for an old school game I wrote, The 'Merican Adventure, on GitHub.

This is a DOS ASCII game I wrote in Turbo Pascal when I was learning to program in the early '90s. It is a 2-D top-down game on a grid, inspired by classics like KROZ and ZZT. Concepts reminiscent of familiar DROD game elements appear here.

I recommend running the game in DOSBox to play it the way it was meant to be played. No special setup configuration is required.

I actually created a set of modified ASCII graphics for the game, which you'll be able to see properly when running the game in full screen mode in DOSBox. Otherwise, the special "sprites" may look incorrect.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-14-2021 11:33 PM]
01-08-2021 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: The 'Merican Adventure (+5)  
Hey, what do you know. While rooting around in my proverbial attic for DROD artifacts, I stumbled across a box containing an old ZIP drive and disk. I plugged the drive into an old PC and the drive was recognized on bootup. I inserted the disk and it was still readable. A good sign, and slightly surprising!

On the disk, I found a source archive for the first two games in the 'Merican series (CITY and QUEST). These were practically my first serious game programming projects.

There may be some missing pieces, and I don't have .exes on-hand to run these "out of the box", but I've uploaded the source to the above GitHub repo to make the Archivists happy. They should still compile via TP7.

Historical note: I used extended ASCII characters in the source to represent certain game elements, like walls and crumbly walls (ASCII 176-178, 219). They used to render properly on my ol' EGA text monitor, and felt like an intuitive thing to include at the time. The characters now look weird when viewing the source in modern text editors. The game should still display properly in DOSBox though.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-14-2021 11:46 PM]
01-14-2021 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: The 'Merican Adventure (+1)  
You know who else found something lost from ages past and just had to try it out?

[Last edited by Dischorran at 01-19-2021 12:46 AM]
01-16-2021 at 02:08 AM
mrimer
icon Re: The 'Merican Adventure (+2)  
Good thing it wasn't a cursed drive -1 (MB). I'm pretty sure I can take it back out of my case if I wanted to. Pretty sure...

Okay, I'll tell you another story.

One day, coming in to work one day about five years or so back, I found a 5 1/4" PC floppy on my keyboard at my desk. No idea who put it there.

I wonder what's on it. I have nothing that can read it.

Maybe it has NORAD codes. Or a copy of Cloak and Dagger with secret plans. Or Lemonade Stand. Or it's the One Disk of Power. Or maybe it's blank. Who knows?

I still have it, on the off chance I can ever find a way to learn what's on it.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-18-2021 08:42 AM]
01-18-2021 at 08:40 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: The 'Merican Adventure (+1)  
I'm guessing you hand-edited the levels inside the .PAS files?

https://github.com/CaravelGames/merican/blob/main/Quest/src/QLEVELS.PAS

I know you showed me this long ago, but I'm really getting it now... It was some sort of weird pre-determined thing that we were going to work on DROD together.

-Erik

01-21-2021 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: The 'Merican Adventure (+4)  
Hah, yes, the levels for QUEST were input before I implemented a level editor. (When I saw the 'Neather code, it reminded me of what I'd done here.)

I first drew the game levels on graph paper. (Some of these pages are featured in post-mastery areas of the DROD games.) Then I just typed up the levels in the text editor. Easy! What more could one need? :)

I know you showed me this long ago, but I'm really getting it now... It was some sort of weird pre-determined thing that we were going to work on DROD together.
Ah, yes! I remember I showed you some of these levels in person to share some legacy work. You gave me a great suggestion at the time, which I also still remember:

(paraphrasing)
Given the real-time movement taking place in a discrete space, providing a musical rhythm or a beat that would indicate to the player when the monsters are moving would be a nice UX affordance.

(When I saw Crypt of the Necrodancer, I thought, "Yes, that works great. Erik was Right.")

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-29-2021 08:17 PM]
01-29-2021 at 08:13 PM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: The 'Merican Adventure (0)  
Would love to see a video or some screenshots :)

02-26-2021 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: Merican sshots.zip (304.9 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The 'Merican Adventure (+3)  
Sure thing!

I don't believe it was always the case, but Dosbox and Windows now play together nicely so I can take true screenshots of the modified ASCII set shown in "Adventure" in fullscreen DOS mode without loss of fidelity.

So, here you go! Happy I can share these.

In addition to some levels in Adventure, and a view of some of the rules and the level editor, I included a few screenshots of the earlier Quest (which also has a demo level you can see from the title screen).

Looking over room layouts here, I note some vague echoes of layouts appearing in a couple JtRH rooms I built later on. Funny how that happened subconsciously.

There are also game elements that ended up in DROD, like tunnels, deep and shallow water, plus many of the staples that Erik already had in the original KDD (though the interactions are a bit different here).

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-12-2021 01:04 AM]
03-12-2021 at 12:59 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The 'Merican Adventure
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com