Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Fortress of Death (None specific)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.4/10 (13 votes)
σ 1.64
Author Name:Silver
Submitted By:Red-XIII
Hold Name:Fortress of Death
Theme:None specific
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:32
Number of Rooms:341
Number of Monsters:6669
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Fortress of Death.hold (119.1 KB)
Downloaded 995 times.
License: Other
icon Fortress of Death  
I'm not sure about difficulty since is not constant. The first levels are 1 difficulty but the last ones are pretty hard than KDD but I'll let you judge.
09-18-2012 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Vladilav
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 82
icon Re: Fortress of Death (0)  
compled.

Click here to view the secret text

difficulty 5

6 fun
09-18-2012 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 618
I see :) I'll try my best to prevent these things in my future holds.

09-18-2012 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Fortress of Death (+3)  
I haven't played much of this myself yet, but word on the street is that it's an accessible hold with plenty of rooms to get novice players on the high score board, which is nice, and it's by a new architect, which is always nice too. DROD stalwarts might find its emphasis on quantity (especially of trapdoors...) to lean towards the tedious, but we can't have everything, can we?

09-18-2012 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Dischorran wrote:
I haven't played much of this myself yet, but word on the street is that it's an accessible hold with plenty of rooms to get novice players on the high score board, which is nice, and it's by a new architect, which is always nice too. DROD stalwarts might find its emphasis on quantity (especially of trapdoors...) to lean towards the tedious, but we can't have everything, can we?

You are totally right! My main purpose is the one you said. The bad thing about this hold is that it might be annoying after a while. This is because i built it 4 years ago and my mind was limited. I assure you that my future holds will be more mature :D meanwhile newbie might have fun learning all the basilar puzzles of drod :)

09-18-2012 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
icon Re: Fortress of Death (+1)  
A decent hold by a new architect. It's massive: took me 10 hours and 14 minutes to finish it (that's about 1.75 minutes a room - yes, I counted).

The first rooms of this hold aren't particularly hard or interesting, and most people have seem them in one variation or another before. Luckily, we get away from the easy stuff and find some more interesting stuff. I enjoyed lots of rooms in this hold. Unfortunately, it's often surrounded by plenty of trivial or copy-cat rooms of ones earlier in the hold.

The aesthetics were pretty good, the scrolls/level descriptions were good and the hold was fun to play.

Several rooms suffer from a lack of checkpoints, which artifically increases the difficulty while decreasing the fun. Not fun. Remember...it's hard to have too many checkpoints in a room, advice which I have already taken to heart.

Many rooms are of the trapdoor variety which got tiring after a while. Several of them feature trapdoors/walls under tar. This problem would be terrible if this were a TCB or later hold. But since this is an AE hold, I can let this one slide (I did it without translucent tar, and it's nowhere near as frustrating as Level 11 KDD).

There are about a dozen US's here, many of them completely breaking rooms. I'm not sure how they made it into the final hold.

So, in conclusion, a great first effort by the architect, and I look forward to any other holds they have in store.

5 difficulty
7 fun

Individual Level/Room Comments (Secreted for space)

[Last edited by bomber50 at 09-19-2012 02:35 AM]
09-19-2012 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
bomber50 wrote:
Individual Level/Room Comments (Secreted for space)

Wow, first of all thanks for giving so many comments I really appreciated it and I'll take all of your advice!
About some question you asked and some questions for you:

Well if you liked this then I hope you'll like also my future holds :)

09-19-2012 at 09:48 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Red-XIII wrote:

)

You can wake up the eyes before dropping the red door and without using the mimic. The arrow traps are not a problem, as you can just simply kill the eyes standing on them and exit the room,
09-19-2012 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
bomber50 wrote:
Red-XIII wrote:

)

You can wake up the eyes before dropping the red door and without using the mimic. The arrow traps are not a problem, as you can just simply kill the eyes standing on them and exit the room,
Oh that's right :) well now I can only hope that players don't see this solution, but US's are part of the game so I Don't really care too much :)

09-19-2012 at 04:26 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Not sure I have much new to say.

This is quite a big hold.

There were soooooooooo many trap doors. Sometimes it seemed like more and more trap doors were there just to be annoying. Otherwise, I thought the hold was reasonable.

Fine effort for your first hold!
09-24-2012 at 02:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
larrymurk wrote:
Not sure I have much new to say.

This is quite a big hold.

There were soooooooooo many trap doors. Sometimes it seemed like more and more trap doors were there just to be annoying. Otherwise, I thought the hold was reasonable.

Fine effort for your first hold!

Thanks for playing it :)
And about trapdoors you're right, I'll be more careful in the future!

09-24-2012 at 03:15 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Fortress of Death (+1)  
Okay, I will start with the caveat that this is the architect's first hold, and that I imagine their later holds will get better (I'm actually going to play another of their holds next).

I'm afraid I did not enjoy this hold much - it was way too long, had too many trapdoor puzzles (and "hidden under tar" puzzles), and didn't really contain any original puzzles. I also got the feeling that the architect knew this based on the level description text for level 25 (not sure whether this was ironic, or self-deprecating, or something else!)

There is also so much repetition of ideas that it leads to saturation (eg. KDD's infamous Level 13: 1S2W trapdoor-orb puzzle makes an appearance but then gets repeated so many times it just gets tiresome).

The hold is initially easy, but I thought the difficulty ramped up once you got to the brained levels, although again, there was repetition of ideas (particularly the inaccessible spawning roach queens theme).

Having said all this, there were a few rooms which did show signs of promise (and as I mentioned previously, I haven't played any of the other holds by this architect so will have to give them the benefit of the doubt), but this hold would have been much better if it had been a lot smaller with all the best ideas distilled into fewer rooms.

Unless you're a high-score hound, I would recommend you give this hold a miss.

My Rating:

Difficulty: 5
Fun: 3

Progress - Gavin G
02-17-2014 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Gabrieloup
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 3
I really didn't know that people still did holds for DROD AE in 2012. I'm quite amazed.

Unseen like Wind.
Unheard like Earth.
12-30-2014 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Fortress of Death (None specific) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com