Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : 2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon (Design a dungeon in the style of The Legend of ZelDROD)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2387
IP: Logged
icon 2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon (+5)  
2023-2024 Architecture Contest:
Design a dungeon in the style of "The Legend of ZelDROD"!

How to enter:

a) Create a one-level dungeon hold. It's suggested that your level have 6-15 rooms or so, but the final count depends only on your creativity. You're free to give your level a "theme" (like "swamp temple" or "fire shrine") but this is not required.

b) Your level must contain one Upgrade Item somewhere. Read further below for some good examples of Upgrade Items.

c) Once the player collects the Upgrade Item, the player should be able to use it to complete the level. It should not be possible to fully finish your level without finding and collecting the Upgrade Item somewhere else in the level.

d) Your entry will be judged on how interestingly the Upgrade Item is used to solve your dungeon, along with the overall fun factor of your level. The best entries will cleverly conceal the method to reach the end!

e) Please include a room exit in the entrance room, in case the player needs to leave early (this will return to the central contest hub). You can also have exit stairs at the end room, but this is up to you.

Once the entry period is over, the compilation hold will be released. The compilation is intended to contain a small Zelda-style overworld, with entrances to each of the dungeon contest entries that are submitted as part of this contest.

Please submit your entries by January 31, 2024.

---

Here are some examples of ideas for Upgrade Items. Feel free to use any of these ideas, or create your own!

1) BOMB: once this item is collected, the special command key places an explosive next to Beethro. Especially useful in rooms with pre-placed fuses or spike traps. If you want, you can limit the number of layable explosives per room. These can be immovable bombs or movable kegs, or something else.

2) BOW AND ARROW: throw darts with special command, like in the TSS postgame level. A ranged weapon can interact in interesting ways with items that Beethro may not be able to reach.

3) JUMP FEATHER: jump over 1-tile-wide pits with the special command key. Access previously inaccessible areas.

4) WADING SHOES: allows the player to walk in shallow water, sworded or not.

5) RED MAIL: walk through fire traps safely, or stand on hot tiles indefinitely.

6) STAFF, CABER, PICKAXE, SPEAR, or DAGGER (the special command key toggles between your chosen weapon and the regular sword)

7) HOOKSHOT (this has been scripted by Dischorran for a previous contest)

8) FIRE ROD: melt ice and smite certain enemies from far away.

9) ICE ROD: freeze certain enemies and use them as pushables. Freeze water and shallow water to make ice.

10) STEPLADDER: the power to make a bridge segment, so you can walk over pits.

11) (suggested by Chaco) MOTORCYCLE: the special command key moves Beethro 5 squares in the direction he is facing, if it is safe to do so.

12)
Click here to view the secret text
(see TSS for the script)

13) a custom PLAYER ROLE

14) INVENT YOUR OWN SUPER COOL IDEA! Then try to script it if you can!

Feel free to post useful scripts in this thread to help others.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-18-2023 09:44 PM]
11-18-2023 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: 2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon (+1)  
Awesome, I'm here for this.

I'll go on record now to say I won't just repurpose an item or level from Beethro's Awakening, as that would surely be cheating.

...but I might use that hold's "small key" system. Maybe I should make it available to everyone to level the playing field (although I'm not certain it counts as an advantage anyway?). Uh, let me know anyone if you're interested in that!

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-19-2023 12:50 AM]
11-19-2023 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: 2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon (+3)  
Sure, feel free to borrow or adapt stuff I scripted. Bonus points for making drod melt more CPUs.

11-19-2023 at 02:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
icon Re: 2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon (+1)  
Ooh, this is neat. I think I have an idea, too!
11-19-2023 at 05:34 PM
disoriented
icon Re: 2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon (+2)  
For those who haven’t done much character-based scripting in DROD, it’s not too bad at all if you’ve done basic programming before. Xindaris started a useful thread about scripting in DROD.

The DROD Help also contains a number of tips and examples.

11-20-2023 at 04:29 PM
disoriented

File: pickupBig.ogg (25.7 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
Feel free to use this "pickup sound" when the player acquires your item, if you wish.

11-20-2023 at 06:27 PM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 194
icon Re: 2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon (0)  
disoriented wrote:
5) RED MAIL: walk through fire traps safely, or stand on hot tiles indefinitely.
How would you script this? There aren't many commands that alter the player, and some don't work together (you can't even give weapons to player roles).
11-26-2023 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Instead of altering the player, you may need to alter the environment with a Build command.

11-26-2023 at 06:08 PM
Kalin
Next question: The help files say "Build" can be used to remove items, but doesn't give an example. How do I remove a token?
11-30-2023 at 12:34 AM
Xindaris
I'm not sure a token can be removed with scripting? My vague memory suggests that the "remove item" option doesn't do that, although it does remove some things. But if you really want to get rid of a token, you might be able to find some hacky way to do it by growing briar onto it, since briar growing does remove tokens.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-01-2023 10:29 PM]
12-01-2023 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4596
Build a powder keg next to (not on) the token, then build a briar root adjacent to both. The briar will immediately grow, destroying the token and detonating the keg, which will destroy the root. This can all happen in one turn. Build more kegs if you want to make sure there is no leftover briar.

If it doesn't have to be within one turn, you can build a briar root next to the token, then next turn, use Build remove item to remove the root and all its briar.

12-01-2023 at 11:00 PM
disoriented
About 6 weeks remaining to submit your entries for the contest.

12-18-2023 at 08:02 PM
Kalin

File: hornedhelmet.png (249 bytes)
Downloaded 366 times.
License: Public Domain
I made a thing, but can't think of any puzzles for it. So I'm offering it to anyone who wants to use it.

Horned Helmet

EDIT: Added image[*], tweaked item script so speech doesn't overlap flashing message, and bigger changes to main script to prevent stabs.

[*] My adventures in adding custom tile graphics:

[Last edited by Kalin at 12-31-2023 05:30 PM]
12-22-2023 at 01:19 AM
Xindaris
Wow, that's a clever way to make a potion-like activate immediately instead of the turn after! The only drawback is that architects must be careful not to put anything important/dangerous at or adjacent to the northwest corner of the room...not that there's typically anything there but wall anyway.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-22-2023 05:44 PM]
12-22-2023 at 05:43 PM
Kalin
Xindaris wrote: The only drawback is that architects must be careful not to put anything important/dangerous at or adjacent to the northwest corner of the room.
I didn't test that because it never would have occurred to me that the game would stab things just because a variable changed.

I thought I could fix it by moving the player to the NPC's location, but it turns out the game stabs twice, once for each variable change. So unless you want to put a double width wall on the north and west edges of every room, you have to disarm the player (if he's armed) when using it.

Made that change to the original post, and added an image.
12-31-2023 at 05:35 PM
Xindaris
Oh, yeah. I almost forgot that trying to do nearly anything slightly complex with DROD code is a cthonic invitation to abject madness.

12-31-2023 at 07:40 PM
disoriented
About 4 weeks remaining to submit your entries for the contest.

01-03-2024 at 08:25 PM
disoriented
About 3 weeks remaining to submit your entries for the contest.

01-10-2024 at 09:27 PM
disoriented
About 2 weeks remaining to submit your entries for the contest.

01-17-2024 at 05:33 PM
disoriented
Just about 1 week left to submit your entries to the contest!

It’s time to polish up what you’ve made & post it in the submissions thread.

01-24-2024 at 11:20 PM
disoriented
Just about 3 days left to submit your entries to the contest!

01-29-2024 at 03:48 PM
disoriented
Today is officially the last day to enter, but if you’re working on an entry and need a bit more time, send me a PM.

I’ll probably download what’s in the submission thread tomorrow when I wake up.

01-31-2024 at 03:52 PM
disoriented
icon MESSAGE TO CONTEST ENTRANTS (2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon) (0)  
Hi Contest Entrants,

If your entry modifies the game's global state via global script, or changes state variables (e.g. water traversibility, default player weapon, etc) please let me know so I can reset that state in the contest hub*. It wouldn't be good if your scripting conflicts with another entry!

Once the contest compilation is posted, please try to make sure that your entry is completeable, even if the player leaves midway through to return to the contest hub. This may need to be tested both before and after the player collects your Upgrade Item.

(*One entrant already warned me about this in their submission post)

02-01-2024 at 04:31 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : 2023-2024 Contest: Make a ZelDROD dungeon (Design a dungeon in the style of The Legend of ZelDROD)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com