Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Export my scores" as a .csv file (It *is* a csv; can't we just call it one?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon "Export my scores" as a .csv file (+1)  
I love the "export my scores" link on the high scores page. For those of us obsessed with our scores, it's fantastic to be able to get them into a spreadsheet so that we can do stupid statistical checks on them! There are only two things I don't love about it:

1. It exports a file called "MyScores.txt", even though the file is clearly comma-separated values. Can't it export as "MyScores.csv" so that programs that can open CSVs can treat it properly?

2. Given that the columns are separated with commas, could the dates either not have commas in them or be put in quotation marks so that they don't end up as two columns?

(I'd also love for someone to take the [censored] line break out of the "16 Boxed Chocolates" level in Cheap Trick, but I bet that's not going to happen. Though if the export wanted to remove line breaks from its fields, I'd be good with that.)
01-26-2017 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: "Export my scores" as a .csv file (+1)  
You know what's even more fun? Figuring out whether the .demo file we get from the HA interface was originally a .demo export or a .zip of exported demos. Not that it's hard to change the extension once it occurs to us.

01-26-2017 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
icon Re: "Export my scores" as a .csv file (0)  
I'm curious Tahnan, what kind of statistics do you run on your scores? Sounds like you could deduce some interesting things.
01-27-2017 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Tahnan wrote:
1. It exports a file called "MyScores.txt", even though the file is clearly comma-separated values. Can't it export as "MyScores.csv" so that programs that can open CSVs can treat it properly?
Fixed. Actually changed it to "DROD-Scores-{year-month-day}.csv".
2. Given that the columns are separated with commas, could the dates either not have commas in them or be put in quotation marks so that they don't end up as two columns?
Ah. I have my dates set to use a format that doesn't have commas, so I never noticed this! Fixed. Added quotes around the date.
(I'd also love for someone to take the [censored] line break out of the "16 Boxed Chocolates" level in Cheap Trick, but I bet that's not going to happen. Though if the export wanted to remove line breaks from its fields, I'd be good with that.)
Wow, that is super annoying. For now I just made the export remove line breaks.

01-27-2017 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Now that I've gotten around to downloading scores again--this is fantastic! Thanks!

(I don't really run serious statistics on my scores. If I'm feeling like playing something, I'll skim for holds where I have particularly low finishes, like that 105th place in a JtRH room, or where I have a particularly low average, which is pretty much always The Choice. I average below tenth place in The Choice. I have no idea why.)
04-12-2017 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Export my scores" as a .csv file (It *is* a csv; can't we just call it one?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com